Crepes, Cats and Calamari

(1000 Posts)
MrsSchadenfreude Mon 13-Feb-17 19:09:39

Here you go.

Blackduck Mon 13-Feb-17 19:18:33

Zchecking in...

herbaceous Mon 13-Feb-17 19:23:15

Mmmm. Calamari.

I'm feeling grim. A slight sore throat on Friday turned into utter voicelessness yesterday, and now I feel all feeble, and my throat is v sore. Just the ticket for half term.

Haven't heard back about dream kitties. Come On Inefficient Volunteer Types.

Rosebag Mon 13-Feb-17 19:51:48

Well, I'm relieved as the previous thread deleted itself on my settings for some reason.

I don't understand why people don't like black cats...I think they're great, but then I like witches and all that stuff.

Herbs you're not well...You need to rest indoors. Where's Sister?

MI Don't sink. flowers Try Corsica?

I have had a strange day of trying to do some work surrounded by moaning minis. DH keeps blowing hot and cold about the arrangements for getting DD back from the flat in time for Saturday college session, after agreeing he would do it angry Exasperating in the extreme. More of the same tomorrow no doubt. Who invented half term? Off with their head.

MontserratCaballe Mon 13-Feb-17 19:52:42

Thank you Mrs S smile

hattymattie Mon 13-Feb-17 19:59:32

I'm here - thanks Mrs S.

Quiet day here only DS and I; glorious sunshine and feeling quite warm for a change.

We used to have a black cat as well.

Stropperella Mon 13-Feb-17 20:00:30

Ta muchly, MrsS.

Eh, BD, are you somewhere in Eastern Europe? grin

I am not making much headway with my academic work, but I have managed to get rid of quite a lot of clutter and mouldy bits around the house. And have cleaned the bathroom FIERCELY. Am coming to the conclusion that all I can do with dd is accept where she is. Which is not in a good place and rapidly getting worse. But as per usual, she refuses to see sense and go to the doctor. I am seeing fairly obvious signs of an incipient, or possibly already established ED, alongside all the symptoms from the last 2 years. All aggressively denied.

Dh is gnashing his teeth about it all and freaking out about her leaving coffee cups around the place. I am thinking there is a lot bloody worse to come than dirty coffee cups.

Anyone got a foolproof recipe for broccoli and stilton quiche? I have loads of eggs and am running out of ideas. Ds baked some fantastic brownies yesterday when db and family came to visit. And he even did the washing-up afterwards.

BeachysSnowyWellieBoots Mon 13-Feb-17 20:11:18

Thanks Mrs S.....

Black dogs are also 'persona non grata' at rescue centres, apparently. In Forrin, where ddog2 came from, he would have been impossible to rehome, not helped by the fact the rescue gave him the name 'Blackie' grin He is, in fact, brown!

Lovely day today. Long walk up and down hills, huffing and puffing.

Seems to be an opportunity for some work knocking around, but could be hard to manage from here. When a nice young chap from the City says 'let's meet for a coffee next week' I'm not sure he realises I'm a two hour train journey away. So I might reach out to him meet him before our meet up (which will mean I'm wearing full, go getta job City garb!) Or I could just bring him for a Dark and Stormy!

My raging has subsided, my ds did not text once today and is apparently attempting some work upstairs.

Blackduck Mon 13-Feb-17 20:17:19

Not sure are I am to be honest Stropps. ED? What? Sorry it's looking grim...

Anyone else up for a D'n'S this Saturday or is it just my and BTM flying the flag? Can't do 24th Feb and can't do the March date either - damnation....

BeachysSnowyWellieBoots Mon 13-Feb-17 20:19:08

Cross post.

Yes to quiche.....

Fry up onion or leek or celery or combo thereof. Add broccoli after all other stuff is almost done.

Line quiche tin with ready made pastry.

Smear Dijon mustard on bottom, not your bottom, but on pastry on bottom of tin.

Pour in fried onion or leek or celery and broccoli.

Crumble Stilton on top.

Mix together six eggs, some cream (about half a smallish tub) and pour on top.

Sprinkle top with regular cheddar if you have or artfully placed remaining broccoli, and black pepper.

Bake for 15 or 20 mins.

(I don't blind bake my pastry case as I have an Aga and you just cook it on the hot bottom of the top oven). You may need to add blind baking in, but I've never done it so I'm not sure how!

Stropperella Mon 13-Feb-17 20:41:04

Yum, Beachy, many thanks. I always have to blind bake the pastry, so I'm sure I can adapt the recipe accordingly, no worries. And thanks for the grin hint about where to put the mustard. grin

BD, ED = Eating Disorder. Dd has now decided to drive to Bristol tonight. Even though she has had all day to do this. I will have to stand by and say nothing, as trying to intervene makes her more agitated. I wish I knew the answer to all this. I suspect that there is no answer until she chooses one. And I shall have to learn to live with that.

Blackduck Mon 13-Feb-17 20:44:57

Oh Stropps sad

Lalsy Mon 13-Feb-17 21:06:15

Stropps sad. I don't see what you can do either if she won't engage with doc or stay on her meds. You must be so weary of picking up the endless pieces.

BD, that sounds lovely but I try to make sure I see dh of a weekend. I have yet to try a DnS though!

BeachysSnowyWellieBoots Mon 13-Feb-17 21:25:16

Stropps, every time I read your posts I, really selfishly, think I may be at the beginning of your journey and I'd like to say thank you now for giving future me advice. I can only hope that I'm as strong and wise as you flowers

Hope her trip is uneventful.....

motherinferior Mon 13-Feb-17 21:38:08

Evening all.

DP and I have been out for dinner shockgrin. Both girls were out.

And he's now on a phone call about...guess what

motherinferior Mon 13-Feb-17 21:39:16

Oh fuckeroony, Stropps.

Stropperella Mon 13-Feb-17 21:46:22

Thank you. Beachy, I hope your journey will not be the same as ours. I hope yours will have a swifter, more satisfactory resolution.
She's gone off, ranting about wanting to drive off a cliff. So that's reassuring. hmm She looked dressed up, so maybe the plan is to go out when she gets there. I have no clue. I have to look at what I have got here (ds, dh) and try to focus on that. If I give in to the feelings of worry and despair which her behaviour tends to set off, I will go nuts. Otoh, I guess acknowledging the sadness is part of acceptance. All part of life's rich tapestry and all that.

GiddyGiddyGoat Mon 13-Feb-17 21:57:17

Place marking... as you were. X

Cremolafoam Mon 13-Feb-17 22:46:56

Oh shite on a bike Stropps. Sounds like dd is on a collision course again. You are doing everything ( having her back in the house, listening to ranting, offering emotional, practical and medical help and putting up with 53 different moods a day) you could POSSIBLY do. I'm really very very sorry to hear mention of possible ED. I wish the rain would move off you Stropps. It's all so unfair.
Beachy, take heart.we are all here to prop you up.
In ddd news ( extra d. Is for demanding) we have been informed of A Mutually Agreed Breakup of dd and partner of fluid sexuality. hmm
-- never saw that coming-- Some tears over the phone, but hopefully, hopefully we are not heading off a metaphorical cliff as well.

In cat news, still no luck.🐾

MI, what is this out for dinner on a Monday lark?

Lalsy, glad you are steadfastly ok.smile

MrsSchadenfreude Mon 13-Feb-17 23:07:44

Out for dinner, MI? shock

Stropps, it is certainly time the cloud that pisses shit moved away from you.

Auriga Mon 13-Feb-17 23:24:03

Stropps, good to see you and of course, you're right. Driving off a cliff is an option and you can't stop her. You're doing a good job of being available and supportive, beyond that you can only take care of yourself and the rest of the family. DS sounds like a star.

Crem, hope you're feeling better. Lalsy, you too.

MrsS, arf @ Whole Black Cat.

Beachy, sorry you're still having such an anxious time. Same for all the other anxious crêpeys...BTM, Rudy...

Still sad here. Partly because it feels as if another bit of my mother has died, or she's a bit more dead, or something (articulate, me). No matter how hard it was to get on with Mum, I could always turn things round by starting a cat-themed conversation. A late convert to the Furry Way, she became the cat's slave in a remarkably short time grin

Collymollypuff Mon 13-Feb-17 23:34:13

Crem, I am quite keen for my dc to go through a break-up and come out the other side. Altho the pfb is now old enough to have witnessed close friends breaking up, sobbing, surviving - so presumably would understand that it is not in actual fact apocalyptic. I wish you strength with mopping that up, but it will hopefully add resilience. Stropps, hope your dd also accumulates some resilience as she rolls. She won't roll off a cliff - although I have often feared mine would, so empathise completely.

CointreauVersial Tue 14-Feb-17 00:16:11

Checking in.

<sniggers childishly at Beachy's mustard-smeared bottom>

bigTillyMint Tue 14-Feb-17 07:38:29

Oh Stroppssadangry - the others are quite right - you are doing all you canflowers

Cremoshock - I wonder what the next chapter in her life will bring.

Well DD and I had a great 36 hours away - caught up with our BFF's for a long, long lunch yesterday before setting off back home, which I did in under 4 hours - this is unheard-of when DH drives. Need I say more?grin

DM's house has been renovated (now unrecognisable inside and outside on the EA's photos!) and and is up for sale at a third more than we sold it for. Apparently the NDN said the people who did it up were very nice and she wishes they were moving in, so that's all good.

Now on revision dutyhmm

CointreauVersial Tue 14-Feb-17 08:29:42

Sounds like a lovely little break, BTM. Revision duty - ha! DD1 has quite a bit of Art to do this week - no sign of any activity yet. And DS has to retake his Biology mock. Ditto.

Strops - keep doing what you're doing. Wishing you crepey strength to deal with the next round of DD problems. flowers

Well, the Valentine's cards were exchanged this morning, as tradition dictates. Usually I go for funny and he goes for soppy, but this year it was the other way round. DH's card to me had some joke about the overuse of a tablet interrupting the course of True Love. I don't know what he means....hmm

Last day in the office with K - well, she is working on Friday, but I'm off that day. It's a shame she's going, but probably the best for workplace harmony ongoing. I am going to have to find a replacement pronto, or I shall be swamped.

This thread is not accepting new messages.