Talk

Advanced search

Frizzy hair issues

(235 Posts)
happilyahousewife Thu 29-Dec-16 14:15:05

What is the best thing to stop frizzy hair? Tried all the lotions & potions out there but they don't seem to stop the hairs on the top of my head going mad even & doing their own thing.
Also, best way to get heathy shiny hair on frizzy/wave hair?

Ilovecaindingle Thu 29-Dec-16 14:17:30

Quick wizz through with hair straighteners and some serum over the roots and ends.

TweedleDee3TweedleDum Thu 29-Dec-16 14:18:52

Have you tried an olaplex treatment at a hair salon?

PrizeyPrize Thu 29-Dec-16 14:32:35

frizz is just a head of curls waiting to happen. Have you heard of the Curly Girl method?

KeepCalm Thu 29-Dec-16 14:48:19

Prizeyprize I looked at CG method but it's such a lot of information to battle through. Is there an idiots guide?!?

PrizeyPrize Thu 29-Dec-16 16:36:45

Hope this helps?
1) To start off wash your hair for the final wash with baby shampoo or fairy liquid (this will remove all the silicone build up in your hair) from years of using silicone shampoos and conditioners that weigh the hair down. Rinse well.

2) Now 'Co wash' your hair with your chosen conditioner (I have a suitable list ranging from cheapo Aldi/Wilko to more expensive
Stuff such as Yes to Carrots). Really scrub the co-wash with fingertips (not nails) concentrate on scalp and then rinse out.

3) Then onto the lengths and ends slap on lots of your leave in conditioner (can be the same as your co-wash but often people choose a different one to the co wash). This is where you use your comb (either wide tooth or my favourite, your hands, with fingers spread wide) Then lightly rinse, just a little rinse, but be sure to leave plenty of conditioner still in hair. When you squeeze your hair the residue should still be milky.

4)Then use a tee-shirt or similar (not a regular towel) scrunching up the hair with it to dry it slightly.

5)Then, head upside (facing your knees) using about about a tablespoon of gel (more or less, depending on the length of hair) Working from back to front scrunch in the gel (tesco and wilko do a cheap suitable one) then leave flip head back up again and leave hair to air dry (or a diffuser if in a hurry)

6)Once hair is dry and crunchy (!!) from the gel, add a pea amount of conditioner or curl enhancing product to hands, rub hands together and use hands to scrunch out the crunchy hair. You will reveal soft flowing curls under that gel casing that had formed.

7) At night put up in a high ponytail (like a pineapple head 🍍) and you will have beautiful curls still the next day. A small spray bottle with water and a small squidge of conditioner will revitalise your morning bed head curls if necessary.

I know a fair bit about this method, I'm no expert but I've been doing in a short while, so if you have any questions please fireaway! Happy to list some (really) cheap UK products to try (most own brand supermarket conditioners are CG friendly and cheap as chips). There is an amazing FB group which is full of information and guidance, just inbox me and I'll send you a link, if you'd like to join.
Embrace the curls 🤘➰〰➿😉

Sorry OP.....Didn't mean to hijack. 😬

peekaboo1 Thu 29-Dec-16 18:03:03

Please please post or pm me the list of CG suitable products. I get so confused with which products are suitable.
Thank you soooooo much

lilydaisyrose Thu 29-Dec-16 18:07:38

I have really frizzy hair but now blow dry and use a tiny bit of coconut oil to smooth - it's amazing!! Smooth, sleek hair with a wee curl at the bottom.

PrizeyPrize Thu 29-Dec-16 18:30:27

There are lots of others and very long lists on the CG Co-Washing FB page I mentioned previously (which is great if you want more info on this), but these are the ones I personally use. They don't break the bank and I can definitely recommend

Co-Wash/Leave in Conditioners
Wilkos - Fruits conditioners (all in range)
Tesco - pro vitamin b5 conditioner
Superdrug Elements (all in range)
Tresemme botanique conditioner- Boots, Superdrug, Tescos etc..
Tresemme Perfectly (un) Done Conditioner - Boots, Superdrug...
Yes to Carrots pampering or nourishing conditioner

Gels
Wilkos - clear extra hold gel in tub with orange lid
Tesco - Blue gel with white lid (25p)

Curling product
Cantu Moisturizing Curl Activator Cream

PrizeyPrize Thu 29-Dec-16 19:57:30

Sorry that should say Superdrug Extracts (all in range) not elements

phoolani Thu 29-Dec-16 21:39:39

L'Oréal extraordinary oil, slap more if that on than you think is wise, then Schwarzkopf 10 in 1 all star. Sorts my frizz out a treat.

phoolani Thu 29-Dec-16 21:39:39

L'Oréal extraordinary oil, slap more if that on than you think is wise, then Schwarzkopf 10 in 1 all star. Sorts my frizz out a treat.

Barktheheralddogssing Sun 01-Jan-17 15:20:41

Prizey will any gel do? I've done cg before and not had good results, but tried yesterday as you listed above and got great curls. I used the gel I had in, now I'm worried is not suitable for when I'm co-washing.

tethersend Sun 01-Jan-17 15:34:31

@TweedleDee3TweedleDum can you tell me more about olaplex? Was thinking of having it done, should I colour before or after?

margaritasbythesea Sun 01-Jan-17 16:03:36

Great info pricey smile

PrizeyPrize Sun 01-Jan-17 17:07:47

Hi Bark so pleased you got good results this time! Some gels have drying alcohols or 'cone's so might be best the next time to stick with CG approved ones. Two I use are Wilko firm hold gel and the tesco 25p blue one. I think there's a shockwaves one that's approved too amongst others, which one did you use?
Thanks Marg smile

Ponyboycurtis Sun 01-Jan-17 17:16:59

Can anyone explain what 'co wash' means and will this work on frizzy kids hair??
I just use a water bottle filled with a conditioner/water mix and spray that on every day. For school I do brush which i've heard I shoildnt do but its the only way to get it back into a ponytail.

Ponyboycurtis Sun 01-Jan-17 17:17:49

One more question! If i'm not supposed to brush, whats the best sort of comb to buy??

woowoowoo Sun 01-Jan-17 17:23:09

What is co washing?

PrizeyPrize Sun 01-Jan-17 17:26:21

Co-wash is simply washing with conditioner only, no shampoo.
Wide tooth comb for hair, but only comb when sopping wet, not dry, you don't even need a comb, fingers spread hand will be fine!

PrizeyPrize Sun 01-Jan-17 17:29:22

Ponyboy yes I'm sure you will get good results with frizzy kids hair!

Ponyboycurtis Sun 01-Jan-17 17:45:33

Thanks Prizey - quite excited to try it tomorrow!

SnugglySnerd Sun 01-Jan-17 17:50:08

I've started co-washing and using a curl creme and then some Moroccon oil on any bits that are still a bit fluffy. My hair is transformed!

PrizeyPrize Sun 01-Jan-17 18:08:43

Oh brilliant Ponyboy good luck!
Snuggly - yay! Great news!

woowoowoo Sun 01-Jan-17 18:51:11

Can anyone recommend a cheapish curl creme? Preferably available at Tesco so I can buy at the same time as the 25p gel!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now