Talk

Advanced search

"Message invalid"

(102 Posts)

MNHQ have commented on this thread.

bumbleymummy Sun 21-Feb-16 08:06:50

For the last couple of days I've been getting an occasional 'Message invalid' when I try to post. I thought it might be something to do with certain symbols/characters if I was quoting text from another source but even when I exclude them I'm still getting the message. confused

Gruach Sun 21-Feb-16 08:17:07

Oh! I had this on Wednesday.

I'd wondered if, after an unusually high number of posts in quick succession, I had reached some unspoken limit for the day. Was all back to normal by midday on Thursday.

Would be interested to find out what caused it. Is it a device problem or a site problem?

bumbleymummy Sun 21-Feb-16 08:32:17

I don't think there's a limit Gruach. Maybe there is? confused

I was wondering if it was an issue with copying and pasting but even when I typed out the quote, it wasn't working.

Are you using an iPhone/ipad or Mac Gruach? Maybe an Apple thing?

Gruach Sun 21-Feb-16 08:43:48

IPhone 6.

No, I don't suppose there is a limit - was flailing around for an explanation.grin

I wasn't copy and pasting or trying to do anything unusual. It started around 2.30 on Wednesday - allowed me to post intermittently in the evening and overnight. So probably every alternate posting attempt deemed "invalid". Turned my phone off and on, cleared history, logged out and in again - none of that made a difference. Went to sleep, all ok in the morning.

maybebabybee Sun 21-Feb-16 13:53:58

I'm having this issue now. Really random. Only seems to be on a certain thread. Restarted computer, cleared browser history etc to no avail.

BeccaMumsnet (MNHQ) Sun 21-Feb-16 14:04:47

Hi all - we wonder if it's the same thread? Would anyone be happy to share the thread they were trying to post on?

Are you all using the app?

LemonRedwood Sun 21-Feb-16 14:06:51

I usually get this when I start a new thread, but it posts anyway. Android, chrome browser.

Gruach Sun 21-Feb-16 14:07:51

Hi Becca, I was on this one:

www.mumsnet.com/Talk/radio_addicts/2570338-Game-of-Farms-The-4-Houses-of-Ambridge-Bleak-House-Boring-House-Sitcom-House-and-About-to-Breach-the-Terms-of-Their-Tenancy-House

And using the mobile site.

maybebabybee Sun 21-Feb-16 14:18:24

I was on a different thread and using my computer (standard windows). I managed to post but only a v short message - it let me post a few short ones but not a long one.

maybebabybee Sun 21-Feb-16 14:18:54

And also using chrome in case that's relevant.

BeccaMumsnet (MNHQ) Sun 21-Feb-16 14:22:57

Ooh interesting. Looks like I was way off with the app theory!

Don't suppose anyone has caught a screenshot of this happening?

GreenSand Sun 21-Feb-16 14:31:51

I couldn't post on a thread that I was the only response to at that point. I had to break it into three sections to get it to post.
So might it be long messages?
Initially on a android phone tablet, but I then cut and pasted the message to myself, and struggled in chrome too. Cutting and pasting small sections worked on chrome eventually.

GreenSand Sun 21-Feb-16 14:32:43

Oh, and I tried sending as a Few M, but that was invalid too.

bumbleymummy Sun 21-Feb-16 14:51:04

It happened to me a few times on different threads - iPhone and Safari on Mac.

The text 'message Invalid' just appears below the text field when you press 'post'.

It may have been something to do with post length maybebaby because I was able to post a shorter message.

monkerina Wed 24-Feb-16 12:50:04

Just to add- I've just seen this message when trying to post in Ante-Natal Clubs. Managed to get round it by breaking my post down into 2 smaller posts.

PresidentOliviaMumsnet (MNHQ) Wed 24-Feb-16 13:27:40

So sorry this is still happening.

BeccaMumsnet (MNHQ) Thu 25-Feb-16 12:23:29

Hi all - does it seem to be long messages that are causing this issue?

Just to clarify for Tech, which devices and browsers are you all using?

BeccaMumsnet (MNHQ) Thu 25-Feb-16 12:24:28

Ooh and a screenshot would be amazing, if anyone can grab one.

Thanks all brew

DesertOrDessert Mon 29-Feb-16 16:59:29

Right, I've taken a screen shot (well, using my phone camera) but it won't let me post my snap, as its "not big enough". Needs to be 90 pixels????
Not a long message, on android tablet, using chrome. If you PM me, or post here, I can send an email for tech.

KatherineMumsnet (MNHQ) Mon 29-Feb-16 17:14:58

Hi there DesertOrDessert,

Could you send this over to us at contactus@mumsnet.com - that would be fab! Thanks flowers

MrsHathaway Mon 29-Feb-16 17:37:51

I've been getting it too - Chrome on Android.

Length was irrelevant, and no special characters or emojis.

These were mainly threads in _Chat. I can't remember which now because they're not in my TIO for obvious reasons ...

Only the toddler can work out how to screenshot from my phone blush

It was during a period a few days ago when www.iidrn.com was timing out to MN every fifteen minutes or so, which might have had something to do with it.

DesertOrDessert Mon 29-Feb-16 17:40:13

Just sentwine

JolseBaby Sat 05-Mar-16 08:46:10

I've just had one on this thread:

www.mumsnet.com/Talk/am_i_being_unreasonable/2584734-to-have-reduced-my-offer?trending=1

If I try to post or preview post it just says 'message invalid' at the bottom of the text box. I have tried chopping it down but it still won't post. Length seems to be the issue - but there are people on the thread who have successfully posted longer messages than the one I was trying to post. I am using Chrome on my chrome-book. I don't use the MN mobile app.

FreiasBathtub Mon 07-Mar-16 16:41:32

And I've just had one on this thread:

www.mumsnet.com/Talk/style_and_beauty/2586982-Influencing-the-Influencers-Disclosure-in-Social-Media-Vol-3

On Windows PC using Chrome.

YesEinsteinsMumDid Tue 08-Mar-16 15:13:26

Had one on the fledgling's current thread in Housekeeping.

Just tried posting this post on this thread as the < and
> together seem to stop it from posting when I hit ctrl-enter.

Chrome on a windows laptop

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now