Talk

Advanced search

Hyperemesis Support

(981 Posts)
LucindaE Sat 20-May-17 14:17:26

I hope everyone suffering from the Horrors of Hyperemesis will find this thread useful as a source of support and information.
There's no TMI on here - can't be by definition - and nobody should feel ashamed of moaning as much as they feel the need to.

MOH's wonderful website is full of useful information on this illness:
sites.google.com/site/pregnancysicknesssos
Another invaluable website is:
www.pregnancysicknesssupport.org.uk

If you need help in obtaining medication, this phone number is
brilliant:
024 7638 2020

Lastly, the NICE guidelines on treatment are useful:
cks.nice.org.uk/nauseavomiting-in-pregnancy#!scenario

I would like to thank everyone who has given such invaluable support and advice on this and on previous threads.

Remember when you are at your worst, 'This Too Shall Pass'. It really will.
So many women on this thread have thought they couldn't get through this, but they did.

LucindaE Sat 20-May-17 14:18:10

Here we are. Plenty of space now...

FlapAttack88 Sat 20-May-17 17:32:46

Hello all again. I have named changed from snap to this one as I keep forgetting not to tell.my life story on here haha. due date 10 October

Thank you all for all your great advice a few days ago re getting back to dr asap.. I kept being told a 3 week wait list but then I just rocked up to open access which I am not really meant to go to as recurring issue etc and they managed to squeeze me in with a dr. Got more antibiotics for chest infextion which still hasnt cleared up and another week off work as mother hen advised me to ask for! Thank you.

I didn't get more sickness meds.. I tried talking to her but she was a total nightmare . To the point where on my Dr's note she had chest infection and hyperemesis but then afyer trying to spell hyoeremesis twice she just cancelled it and printed it with just chest infection! Had to ask her to redo it as pregnancy related sickness means I am protected from work adding towards the sickness disciplinary action! Nightmare.

Dr offered me cyclizine again after I had told her the problems I had had.. then buccastem Whixh I actually already had some from our of hours and was too scared to try as hate idea of it behind my gums! I just paniced in the end as she was soo hard to talk to and said I would stick with cyclizine.

Ha at all your stories of family and friends colleagues etc saying yay you're betteras soon as you manage a piece of toast or a walk to the letter box! !

Flossy sorry you've had such a rubbish few days but glad drip and drugs have helped a little. I want to get ondanestron. .. is it available on the black market?! I will try the ward suggestion like a few of you recommended last week as I didn't know you could do that .

Had 2 ok ish days. ManageD some food and capri suns and only been sick 3 or so times

I got restless legs with cyclizine too sad and felt zombie ish and got reallt bad dry mouth with it.. little white lumps on tongue. So nasty! Has all gone away now I have been off them for a week but I feel crap on the nausea front!

HoPE you all have a good evening xx

LucindaE Sat 20-May-17 18:00:12

flapattack I've added you to the list below with your new name. Oh dear, about doctor - that's bad. I hope things aren't too bad on the cyclizine?
DueDates
Robber Bride 29 May
LHReturns 1 June
PeaceLove 3 June
Boobs 6 June
South London 6 June
fourcorneredcircle 7 June
Pastiemaid 12 June
squeezypeasy 13 June
Babyand 23 June
Captain Warbeck 24 June
HollyHop17 20 July
whoate 1 August
HaichM 1 August
SociallyAcceptableCookie 5 August
JimmyJay Early August
Daffodil 11 August
SickRose 18 August
Pip1982 20 August.
Melleebacca 22 August
Mardybum2017 25 August
MagnumAddict 1 September
littlepooch 2 September
MamaBear 7 September
MrsK8541 15 September
MuvaWifey77 17 September
Lemondrop09 30 September
RubyReins 3 October
Passthesickbucket 4 October
FlapAttack 10 October
Heartburn247 23 October
FluteyTootey 26 October
mrsgembles 27 October
putput 17 November
Satsooma 12 December
NonStopDisco 17 November
DeadDoorPost 19 November
pippasnippa 19 November
Oklahoma 22 November
Mustang 18 December
BeautifulLiar 29 December
mrsb87 13 January
Flossyfloss 14 January

FlapAttack88 Sat 20-May-17 18:23:08

Thank you LucindaE smile

I haven't started taking it again yet as had a good few days with the sickness and vomitting. . Only 2 times last few days. Fingers crossed it may be easing up a bit now I am approaching 20 weeks?!?! Touch wood TOUCH WOOD TOUCH WOOD!

Or maybe just the relative relief of the chest infection starting to ease!

My colleagues went on a night out and are hungover today.. one just txt me saying "ah trust me this hangover is sooooo bad I feel like you now!!! " i was tempted to ginger him

Mustang27 Sat 20-May-17 18:33:07

Lol to gingering your work colleague. You so should. So gutted for you that the dr wasn't really listening. I really think it boils down to them really not having a clue about how ill you feel it's so hard to explain to people. I try by saying ever been car or sea sick well times that by a million and you are about there!!

I'm having a really rough few days and the ondansetron really isn't doing much for me. 10 weeks in I just feel like a failure blush

user1495301707 Sat 20-May-17 18:49:44

Hi all,
First time poster on MN. I'm currently 10+3 weeks pregnant and have been suffering with nausea and vomiting from about 7 weeks. I ended up in hospital last Sunday on a drip and have been prescribed ondansetron, at first they seemed to be helping. However over the past 2 days the nausea has come back with a vengeance, to the point I've been unable to do anything. Sorry for the moan, just feel like it's starting to get on top of me. Sending lots of nausea free vibes to you all xx

FlapAttack88 Sat 20-May-17 19:33:15

Ah mustang sorry to heat even the fabled ondanestron isn't doing much. I know for me 10 weeks ish was my absolute lowest point. I think it's a really tough time sad don't be too hard on yourself as just getting to the end of the one day in one piece ish is a job well done xx

FlapAttack88 Sat 20-May-17 19:35:56

User sorry to hear you're having a tough time.. make sure you get back to dr or ward and as to try something different if these aren't working? Are you still working? Getting as much rest as you can? I got signed off for 2 weeks between 9 and 11 weeks as rest and sleeping through it was only thing I could do to get through the day but even that was a misery sad

user1495301707 Sat 20-May-17 19:43:29

Hi Flapattack, I've been off work on annual leave for the past 2 weeks thankfully so have been able to rest. I'm due back in work tomorrow though and I'm absolutely dreading it. I work in care so a lot of my day is spent on my feet and I'm not sure how I'm going to manage when I've hardly moved from a lying position over the past few days! How many weeks are you now? Hope your symptoms have let up x

Melleebacca Sat 20-May-17 19:57:19

Mustang - sickness definitely kicks up a notch around week 10 for a couple of weeks. Ondansetron for me didn't stop the nausea and only made it really hard to puke. You can also go to the doctor and ask for something else to take with it. I was given metachlorpromide but it gave me restless legs so I didn't take it.

User - ondansetron closes valves to the stomach, which is why not all of us get relief from the nausea on it.

Flossy - glad the ondansetron is working a treat for you. After IVs, it can take a few days for the effect to wear off as you slowly get dehydrated again. Keep checking with ketosticks.

Waves to all. 3 days till house guests leave (holly - if I had the opportunity to say no to them, I would've. I was told they were going to pop in to say goodbye at the end of their travels, not stay for 5 days because they're too cheap for a backpackers 😡)

Mustang27 Sat 20-May-17 20:40:26

How bloody selfish of your guests mellee

Mustang27 Sat 20-May-17 20:42:19

Oops didn't mean to post. I can't recall being this sick at my 10 week point last time so maybe it is peaking and it will only get better lol.

satsoooma Sat 20-May-17 20:55:05

I have house guests arriving for 5 days soon. I am really looking forward to it as A) they are lovely and I know they will be sympathetic and helpful and I won't feel bad lying around on the sofa all day B) they are bringing their baby and toddler. I will borrow them and think about how all this will be worth it once I get one of my very own smile

HaichM Sat 20-May-17 21:31:57

I'm sorry many of you are struggling with the nausea. I hated it. Resting and lying horizontal was the only thing that worked for me. I didn't think of trying other meds with the ondansetron...

I had a great day today (sorry in advance for anyone feeling crap). I went to what I thought was afternoon tea with one friend, which would have been a fab treat anyway, and instead found 3 other friends and a surprise baby shower. We had afternoon tea, shared a bottle of prosecco, played baby related games (with prizes) and gifts. 5 hours with friends was the best part of course. Just what my mental health needed.

LucindaE Sat 20-May-17 22:08:08

user Welcome. Sorry that you are suffering and Ondansetron is ceasing to help. Many on here have found that Ondansetron combined with Cyclizine is more helpful. It might be worth asking for that. How do you find flat full sugar coke, the juice and fruit of tinned fruit, especially peaches and pears, soda water, ice lollies, ice cubes, Lucozade, Elderflower water, sips of chocolate milkshake (maybe soya), Dr Pepper, cuppa soup, crisps, cheap ice cream or jelly?. Sweet or salty foods seem to be the order of the day.
My head is throbbing today, so I'll just say I hope everyone is coping today.

FlapAttack88 Sat 20-May-17 23:13:07

User.. I would also vote to try cyclizine alongside it or instead of alone first or whatever they suggest. I haven't had onden so I don't know but cyclizine relly helped a lot with nausea..now I am off it I can see I didn't make that much difference with the vomiting but it definitely eased things up a bit.. went down from 8 times a day ti about 3 to 4 when on it.

I am 19 and a half weeks now. Is definitely the best I have felt sick week 7 when it all kicked off. It may be linked to not working and being myself up everyday though ... have kind of just accepted it and now and that has made things a lot easier. I am a teacher so it ws a really hard decision to agree to stop working, especially around exam reason. But it's a job I just couldn't do... the stress and responsibility and planning and admin. . Managing a class of 30 plus teenagers when I can't even look after myself... I look back now and wonder how on earth I worked a day in this state!!

Haich Ahh yay so happy for you. Must have been a lovelyfeeling and I think the mental health side of things is so so tough and also getting zero (or worse! )enjoyment put of food for so long that I can imagine that was a great trip out!

FlapAttack88 Sat 20-May-17 23:15:52

PS

User don't go back to work if you're not ready. You will relapse again and go right back to square one. I did this yoyo routine for a while and honestly it's not worth it... you need to put you and baby first. I know thays easier said than done and I found it hrs to accept that advice but it's so important.

LucindaE hope your head feels better soon. Thanks for all you do keeping this up and running. . Its a great support and so lovely to be able to talk to people in similar boats!

And live vicariously through other people's good days!

NonStopDisco Sat 20-May-17 23:35:42

Thank you for the new thread!
Due date has moved to 23rd November, meant to say the other day.

user have you told work about your pregnancy? Once they know you cant be penalised for pregnancy related sickness absence (in case that's a worry), and I've found once I told my employers they were very understanding. Absolutely stay off if you're not right, sometimes even in the bits where you aren't sick, your body needs to recover, and I think most people are still nauseous.

I got gingered by my MIL (horrifying autocorrect avoided!!) today, she was insistent that it was the only thing that works and the tablets are simply dangerous. She's a lovely woman, but a bit set in her opinions.

FlapAttack88 Sat 20-May-17 23:49:20

People telling me ti take ginger reminds me if thay scene I'm harry potter where filch is sweeping when half the castle has been knocked down and rubble everywhere haha

FlapAttack88 Sat 20-May-17 23:50:10

Wow so many typos. .. luckily none as bad as the one you managed to avoid disco 😂

Thingymaboob Sat 20-May-17 23:52:34

Hi everyone. Only just 6 weeks so new to this. My appetite has gone! I am just dry heaving all day. Even if I eat, it's still not coming up, like I haven't got enough energy. I was vomiting yesterday - spontaneously on my dinner plate! It's horrible and got a funny feeling the worst is yet to come. Been trying small carb meals, ginger urgh. Nothing is working! Should I go to GP?

NonStopDisco Sun 21-May-17 00:38:04

thingymaboob definitely go to GP. Worst thing about ginger is that it seems to delay people getting proper treatment, Lucinda above has a list of food that usually help once you've managed to see a GP and get tablets, and she usually recommends ketostix for checking dehydration, you can get them from pharmacy or Amazon.

FlapAttack88 Sun 21-May-17 01:08:50

Thingymaboob.. does drinking a load of water in go help at least make you be sick? I found drinking 6 sips of cold water when feeling super nauseous was enough to make me be violently sick. Then utilise the few minutes you feel ok to try and eat and drink a little bit more.. so it's like a net gain? ! This may be terrible advice sorry!! But for me actually being sick meant the nausea woukd at least stop long enough for me to eat and drink and then try my best to sleep.

Sod the ginger

FlapAttack88 Sun 21-May-17 01:10:06

Amd yes. . Get to a dr asap. Sounds awful. Cyclizine helped me through the worst of things but for some people it's not as effective. . But worth a go.. I think it.got me through the hardest times

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now