Talk

Advanced search

The CDE of University Life (2019/20 cohort) - assignments, flat-hunting, Halloween and the end of their first term fast approaching

(1000 Posts)
NewModelArmyMayhem18 Wed 30-Oct-19 15:56:24

Previous thread - Obvs the end of term is looming sooner for some than for others? I guess the Oxbridge posse will finish by the end of November or just into December?

OP’s posts: |
Witchend Wed 30-Oct-19 16:05:30

It feels like they've just started!

NewModelArmyMayhem18 Wed 30-Oct-19 16:12:14

I agree @Witchend!

OP’s posts: |
Alicatz66 Wed 30-Oct-19 16:58:09

I've got DS coming home for reading week ... just as I had settled into the tidy life !

juicy0 Wed 30-Oct-19 17:19:46

Hope your DD is feeling better soon Gin

bigTillyMint Wed 30-Oct-19 20:36:32

@Ginfordinner, your poor DDthlsad Good she has ABs now though.

It actually feels like DS has been gone for ages even though it's only almost 5 weeks and we saw him last week grin He has apparently now got a group decided for house share, but no word on who or any looking for actual houses grin

Serin Wed 30-Oct-19 23:07:02

Our DS came home last weekend. He isnt having a reading week and is working right through to 22/12.
He loves it there.
We are considering buying a house in his city as he has committed to living there for a further 4 years and that will cost us £24k in rent. Feels mad to "waste" so much.

SirTobyBelch Thu 31-Oct-19 05:47:15

If he's doing medicine/veterinary medicine, make sure he won't have to relocate at some point in the course before you commit to this.

Queenie24 Thu 31-Oct-19 06:05:03

My dd has made friends but we are heading there this weekend to help her move as the accommodation she was in has not suited her. Luckily she has been able to relocate.

ZandathePanda Thu 31-Oct-19 09:30:55

Ginfordinner hope she’s ok. Do you think you could get her home for some TLC so she can recover quicker? Ear infections are awful - youngest got a nasty one a few years back and I remember her relief from pain when her eardrum burst. flowers

SchrodingersKitty Thu 31-Oct-19 11:29:42

@NewModelArmyMayhem18: Oxford term finishes 6 Dec - so nearly three weeks of term done and five and a bit weeks to go. In some ways it's not long, but it is so intense that I'm sure it seems like a very long time to them.

We're going up next weekend to see DS for this birthday. It is well timed for the start of 5th week, which is a notorious moment for mental wobbles, so we'll take lots of home comforts and treats. Really looking forward to seeing him. Unfortunately it coincides with his biggest moment of multiple-deadline stress, but at least we can take him out for some nice meals.

Xenia Thu 31-Oct-19 11:36:10

Serin, it may depend on the town if it is worth buying at present or not as in some areas like London property is dropping in value year by year. The same in Bristol where my twins are at university so the £24k may well be less money than what you would lose on a house in the university town of the 4 years although letting rooms out to other students might change the sums I suppose but factor in your stamp duty - my (older) son completed on his house purchase yesterday and the stamp duty is a third of his annual net income!
d

SchrodingersKitty Thu 31-Oct-19 11:39:58

Very relieved that DS just negotiated with his tutors about clashing deadlines and they have moved them so he doesn't have two pieces of work due in on the same day. Taking action like this seems to be one of the hardest things for him with his dyspraxia, so I am really proud that he is managing to be proactive.

Witchend Thu 31-Oct-19 14:21:00

Well done @SchrodingersKitty ds!

<still trying not to worry about next year accommodation>

ifonly4 Thu 31-Oct-19 15:08:21

DD has her last lecture 10 Dec, she's debating whether to come home 11 Dec or leave it a day (12 Dec) and get a few things up together. If she choses 12 Dec, she'll need to organise a postal vote as she'll have 30 mins walking with suitcase, 6-7 hours on train and bus back home taking most of the day.

ZandathePanda Thu 31-Oct-19 17:00:51

It was stated most students finished on the 16th so the election wouldn’t affect their voting. I don’t know of any finishing on the 16th. Dd finishes on the 12th/13th depending on lectures.

minesawine Fri 01-Nov-19 07:13:25

I think NTU finishes on 13th Dec, so I will probably go up on 14th (too tired after overnight election count), he wants all his clothes, his tv and playstation brought home and then back again on 14th January. Dont mind, happy he is coming home

Prokupatuscrakedatus Fri 01-Nov-19 11:36:14

Surprises all round, DD enjoys programming!!
Lectures here end early February and then she'll have to sit her exams and write her papers / essays.
There is a short break for Christmas (22.12 to 4.1), though.

BorisInAnExecutionersMask Fri 01-Nov-19 12:09:41

That's really short, DD is home for nearly a month (not complaining)

Prokupatuscrakedatus Fri 01-Nov-19 14:36:12

We practically live next door to the HU, so she's home anyway - currently cooking for us.

SchrodingersKitty Fri 01-Nov-19 17:54:27

DS finally met with student support, which seems to have been useful, though he told them he didn't need a lot of the software support they were offering. It sounds like his support plan should be ready next week. He managed to get through his mountain of written work for the week and sounds to have some fun plans for the weekend. So doing ok as his third week ends.

HoldMyLobster Sat 02-Nov-19 00:14:09

HoldMyLobster Do you still own that house/have family living in it? If not, I don't think that's legal. You can't just register at any random address.

If you move abroad you're expected to register and vote in the last town that you lived in before you left, using the last address you had.

MarchingFrogs Sat 02-Nov-19 00:58:15

If you move abroad you're expected to register and vote in the last town that you lived in before you left, using the last address you had.

How does that marry with ising being on the electoral roll as a means of checking identity / address etc? Or are you just recorded as being entitled to vote in that ward, without the actual former address being mentioned?

HoldMyLobster Sat 02-Nov-19 01:12:29

DD had to give them my name and details so they can check I was registered on the electoral roll at that address before we left the UK.

They take your passport number to check you're a UK citizen.

I was surprised how quick and easy it all was.

Piggywaspushed Sat 02-Nov-19 07:30:37

Just to warn everyone, DS still not heard about his Lincoln vote, 7 weeks after registering!

This thread is not accepting new messages.