Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention; if you think your problem could be acute, do so immediately. Even qualified doctors can't diagnose over the internet, so do bear that in mind when seeking or giving advice.

Cancer support thread 62 - here comes the sun (hopefully)

(987 Posts)
WhatWouldLeslieKnopeDo Thu 03-May-18 19:14:03

Good evening

Our previous thread is here

If you've got cancer, this is the thread for you. Introduce yourself and feel free to ask any questions. We also welcome anyone who is waiting for cancer tests. We know how scary it can be. So don't be shy. We will happily hold your hand and hopefully wave goodbye when you get good news smile

WhatWouldLeslieKnopeDo Thu 03-May-18 19:16:34

Feel free to post a quick summary of your situation if you'd like.

I'm having chemo (FOLFIRI + cetuximab) for stage IV colorectal cancer (lung mets and lymph nodes). Stage III diagnosis October 2012. Recurrence April 2016. It's incurable, but currently treatable.

WhatWouldLeslieKnopeDo Thu 03-May-18 19:17:38

I know I usually start new threads but it doesn't have to be me. Anyone can start them when you notice it's nearly full. Lilymaid used to do them and she was much better at thinking of imaginative titles!

WhatWouldLeslieKnopeDo Thu 03-May-18 19:20:07

I also have some really sad news, I'm afraid. nicky has died. Unfortunately her cancer was advanced and there were no further treatment options.

I know we only know each other online, but it can still be a huge shock when someone dies. So please be kind to yourself flowers

YearOfYouRemember Thu 03-May-18 19:24:15

I hope this is okay to post as I am new. I don't know who Nicky was but flowers for her and hers.

I saw my GP today to get some new medication and have come away waiting for an appointment for a scan to check for cancer confused. Dh is worried. I'm not. I'm not really sure what to feel. Seeing GP in a month when she expects the results of the scan and to see how I'm getting on with the new medication. I'm thinking that's a quick turnaround from referral to appointment confused. Ironically, I had a scan two years ago and I suspect this is the same thing they are looking for so I must be okay, surely ?

FreshTart Thu 03-May-18 19:25:14

Hi, hope you don't mind me posting here.

Saw the gynaecologist yesterday after my GP picked up on 'abnormal area' at my smear. That result came back clear but a subsequent scan showed a thickened endometrium (9.5mm). Had a biopsy taken yesterday with a warning that he wasnt sure he'd managed a good enough sample so I may need a hysteroscopy. Now just waiting for the results and scaring myself stupid when I look at the symptoms and risk factors. Just need some gentle support if thats ok.

FreshTart Thu 03-May-18 19:26:33

Sorry, missed that post but flowers for Nicky and all of you

WhatWouldLeslieKnopeDo Thu 03-May-18 19:32:48

Hello to both of you, and of course you're welcome to post. That's exactly what this thread is for! smile

YearOfYouRemember it's good you're not worried. I tend to be the same. I like the expression "don't borrow trouble from tomorrow", though I know it's not always that easy for people to not worry. What type of cancer are they looking for? As cancer is a possibility you should be referred under the two week rule, so a month for results seems feasible. They may well be ready before that. I hope it is all OK, and that the new medication helps flowers

FreshTart fingers crossed today's biopsy was adequate and that you won't need a hysteroscopy. If you do a couple of other posters have had them so should be able to advise roughly what to expect. I hope that it is something harmless flowers do you know when you'll get the results?

FreshTart Thu 03-May-18 19:40:30

Thanks Leslie

I think he mentioned I should hear within a couple of weeks so it's going to be a long sleepless wait until then!

YearOfYouRemember Thu 03-May-18 19:47:14

WhatWouldLeslieKnopeDo - I'm being booked for a pelvic scan. I do have symptoms of ovarian cancer but I've had them for a while but today I mentioned something else which has prompted the referral. I feel like I'm wasting the doctors time as if it was anything bad surely I would feel obviously sick?

TwitterQueen1 Thu 03-May-18 19:54:36

Remembering Nicky RIP lovely lady and sending much love to her family.

Dx March 2017 with stage 3/4 ovarian cancer. 3 months' worth of chemo, followed by radical debulking and another 3 month's chemo. Was part of the Icon8B trial, which includes Bevacizumab (aka Avastin) with the standard carboplatin and Paclitaxel (taxol) chemo drugs. Bevacizumab is a maintenance drug, which (all being well) continues for another 7-8 months after the carbo and taxol to keep the cancer at bay. Unfortunately my cancer never really went away so was bumped off the trial in November 2017 because I was no longer eligible for the Beva.

Started Liposomal doxorubicin (caelyx) in January of this year. Just had #5 today. Now stage 4. Options running out.

Single, lone parent to 3 DDs, 2 at uni, one living with boyfriend. On extended sick leave. Happy to answer any questions at all on OC.

TwitterQueen1 Thu 03-May-18 19:59:19

year I don't want to worry you unnecessarily but unfortunately with OC many people don't feel anything at all until the disease is advanced. A blood test to show the CA125 marker will indicate whether there is a potential problem. Have you had this test? if not, I suggest you ask your GP to arrange it.

You can read my own story here

wombat22 Thu 03-May-18 20:03:18

Such sad news about Nicky. Thoughts for her and her family thanks

YearOfYouRemember Thu 03-May-18 20:04:23

TwitterQueen1 - due to other problems I have had I can't remember for certain if I have had that blood test but I have recently had some done. One unrelated result was I have no oestrogen iirc. The GP said something about my brain and high levels. I will read your thread now. Thank you.

Mrspotter12 Thu 03-May-18 20:08:00

Hi everyone, I'm a newbie on here and still finding my way around it all.
Have been diagnosed with breast cancer and am waiting for a treatment plan.

Great news Wombat! cakewinecakewine

YearOfYouRemember Thu 03-May-18 20:13:33

TwitterQueen1 - feeling a bit shocked. I posted on your thread under a different name. Bit of a shock to see I had already wondered about OC and been not fully well. The last few years have been very difficult with traumatic events and lots of therapy. I just put down feeling unwell to me being a drama queen confused.

YearOfYouRemember Thu 03-May-18 20:13:57

Sorry to read that Mrspotter12

penguinsandpanda Thu 03-May-18 20:23:27

So sorry to hear about Nicky

iVampire Thu 03-May-18 20:30:05

So sad to read about nicky

She was one of the people I remember from when I first joined these threads, which got the sale on recap was in October 17, when I went from blood test for something entirely different to leukaemia diagnosis in the space of 48 hours. I have chronic myeloid leukaemia, which is the sort which can respond extremely well to newish treatment. It’s not cureable, but it can be beaten back to no evidence of the disease. So far, I am responding well and am awaiting results of this latest round of testing, which should let me know if the crap in my bone marrow is still reducing at the desired rate.

Hoping the MilesJuppIsMyBitch and mumpelstiktskin - who also live with blood cancer, but who I’ve not seen posting recently, stop by and check in,

Twoo Thu 03-May-18 21:30:34

Wombat22 fabulous news wine cake flowers

purpleunicorns Thu 03-May-18 21:31:47

So sad to hear about Nicky sad she was amazing and was always more bothered about how everyone else was doing than complaining about her cancer. Sending love to her family thanks

Wombat that's fantastic news, so so pleased for you!

I was going to start a new thread Leslie but I didn't know if it was your thing so I didn't want to step on your toes blush

I was diagnosed with stage 2b cervical cancer in October. I had 5 lots of chemo (cisplatin) 25 lots of radiotherapy and 4 brachytherapy. No idea if it's worked or not, I get my results back on the 8th May.

I've also found a lump in my breast so I'm at the breast clinic on the 11th

Taytotots Fri 04-May-18 00:05:32

So sad to read about Nicky thinking of her family.

Wombat what great news! Although I'd be a bit cross about the scare they gave you!

Welcome year and freshtart. Good luck with the nerve racking wait for results/tests - and penguins too.

I was diagnosed with stage 3 colon cancer (one lymph node positive, no Mets) end of Feb after going to ER with abdo pain. Colonectomy (partial) and have started on Capox chemo. Approved for round two tomorrow as meds have worked on side effects (swear I am taking so many pills now I rattle!). Hopefully going back to work next week as feel not too bad. Twin DC (5) and 11 chicks at the moment! (I was a bit worried I'd got salmonella from them but tests negative grin).

WhatWouldLeslieKnopeDo Fri 04-May-18 07:33:35

Hm my post from yesterday seems to have got lost in the ether or something confused so I will try again...

wombat such wonderful news! I'm glad you've fo7nd this thread helpful. Please do keep posting whenever you feel like it. Some people have a bit of a wobble when treatment finishes as it can feel like you've been cast adrift. Not everyone though, just something to be aware of. Hopefully now you can relax a bit though and enjoy the summer smile

TQ how was chemo? I hope you're feeling alright flowers

penguins I'm glad you got a referral. Will that be a private one? Surely it's your choice if you want to use your private cover confused especially as your GP seems to have no sense of urgency!

FreshTart we will be waiting with you - most of us have been through it. Not knowing is really stressful. Distraction seems to be the best coping strategy! And stay off Google.

Year you're not wasting their time. It's always better to check these things. Most of us didn't feel particularly unwell when diagnosed but I'm not saying that means you have cancer! There's a lot of overlap of symptoms between different conditions so hopefully it's something harmless smile

purple no, not at all smile the thread belongs to everyone who posts on it. Plus I won't be here forever so you will all need to keep it going when I'm gone!

I hope everyone has a nice Friday. I need to drag myself out of bed to get ready for my PET scan. I will be back later and radioactive grin

WhatWouldLeslieKnopeDo Fri 04-May-18 07:36:31

Previously I have posted a sort of roll call of people who posted on the old thread and then disappeared. I didn't want anyone to feel forgotten. I've realised this is actually a pretty pointless thing to do because they haven't posted on this thread so are unlikely to see it. Plus it is quite time-consuming and I haven't had enough time to do it. But if you posted before and are now lurking, please do let us know how you are doing. And indeed if you are lurking but haven't posted before feel free to say hello smile

purpleunicorns Fri 04-May-18 08:21:06

I'll start the next one Leslie, although I'm expecting you to be around for a very long time yet. I honestly don't think I would have gotten through those first few month when I was diagnosed without you and the others supporting me thanks

Just off shopping soon to get some paint to get my kitchen done, I'm hoping to get the house finished before getting my results back on Tuesday just in case it is bad news. I tried decorating while have chemo and it's not a good idea grin

Waves to the newbies 👋

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: