Talk

Advanced search

RGS Guildford 2018

(18 Posts)
Rianna Tue 02-Jan-18 14:11:17

I’ve had so much fun lurking on the entrance test threads in the last years - now it’s my son’s turn .
Still 10 days to go but I’m starting the thread .
Sitting a couple of other schools as well so maybe we could start a general ‘ Surrey entrance exams ‘ thread ( fun ;-)! )
DS ‘s first exam is in two days time .
He’s preparing himself by playing computer games . I let it go as I don’t believe in prepping children too much for these exams - . I just want him to be relaxed .

gingerclementine Tue 02-Jan-18 14:12:21

Good luck! Great school. Where else is he sitting for?

Rianna Tue 02-Jan-18 14:15:48

St George’s and Claremont.
I think he’s borderline RGS so am not too stressed about it . I agree it’s a great school though . If he does get in , he should give it a try ( he’s not so motivated at the moment ).

trinity0097 Tue 02-Jan-18 17:46:10

That’s a good mix of schools - well done for not just going for Uber competitive to get in ones!

Is he at a prep school now where he has been doing lots of prep?

Rianna Tue 02-Jan-18 18:32:31

He has done enough Trinity .
He’s been to at good school . Yes he says there’s a few points with maths that he doesn’t get but although he’s not the best of the class , I think he’s good enough . I don’t want to overprepare him as a. I’m too lazy b . He’s lazy too . With us being so lazy , he needs to go to a school that he can do easily . His brother is at RGS but he’s lazy too . So basically if he can get in it’s ok but if I have to prepare him none of us will be able to keep that up :-). VR score has not changed significantly since yr 3 so no point doing that either . He never finishes an essay but the school only sort of noticed that last term and frankly , it’s too late to do something about that now .So his exams are hopefully going to be the sorting hat .
We see where he gets in and then he can choose .

trinity0097 Tue 02-Jan-18 20:00:20

A healthy attitude!

gingerclementine Wed 03-Jan-18 12:21:23

St George's is great too. All the children I know from there are happy, polite and seem to be encouraged to play to their own strengths, whatever they are.

gingerclementine Wed 03-Jan-18 12:22:50

Rinaa DS2 was like that - never finished an essay, or any piece of work if he could get away with it. Got into RGS and is still fairly lazy but their work ethic has rubbed off on him more than if he'd been at a more laid back school.

gingerclementine Wed 03-Jan-18 12:23:02

Rianna, not Rinaa

sazzy5 Wed 03-Jan-18 12:56:14

Both my DS are at RGS. My DS1 was lazy and still is but doing ok. DS2 is a much harder worker and doing better than DS1 but deserves to. You are doing a good spread of schools and not too many either I remember some were taking over 10 last year. Good luck!

Rianna Wed 03-Jan-18 16:33:44

Nice to hear from you ladies ! I do like RGS , I think it’s very organised , teachers respond promptly to worries , the teachers are enthusiastic, the boys are generally a nice bunch . Only I think there’s no point worrying too much if DS2 will get in . If he does , it’s for him , if he doesn’t , it wasn’t for him .
We like both other schools too .
But even if any outcome is ok for me , I will still be glad when all this is over . I do feel for mother’s who don’t feel they have a good alternative ... stressful days !

SheilaFentiman Fri 05-Jan-18 20:09:50

Good luck Rianna

Rianna Sun 07-Jan-18 09:11:52

We’re nearly there - exam next week . What’s new compared to previous years is all these kids from London competing for places in Surrey schools as well . We’ve done two exams now . One went well , one was a disaster . Am looking forward for this thread to become more active after the RGS exam .

IvySquirrel Sat 13-Jan-18 10:06:42

Just to say good luck to all those doing in the entrance exam today. I have 2 at RGS also, now coming up to A levels/GCSEs and it's been absolutely brilliant for both of them smile

cmjmama Sun 14-Jan-18 13:55:18

Hi all, here we are again, how did everyone find the exam. Anyone got any details on the train question at the end of the maths exam?

Evalina Mon 15-Jan-18 10:11:40

Hi - DS also did the entrance exams on Saturday - for 13+ entry. He seemed pretty positive especially about the English/Verbal Reasoning. Maths was always going to be more challenging for him, and I doubt he got as far as the train question at the end of the exam as he tends not to work fast enough.

He's also borderline for RGS so if he gets a place it will be upside rather than a real disappointment - trying to keep that thought in mind!

stressfultime Mon 15-Jan-18 11:19:42

Well here we are - having lurked like many others on this site for a year or so, we are now waiting for results too! Like your ds Evalina, Maths was tough - no mention of a train question I'm afraid cmjmama.

Frazzledmumofboys Tue 16-Jan-18 11:19:23

Hi All
My son sat the exam on Saturday. Do you have any idea when the second exam recalls get posted? Given the first possible day is next Tuesday I would hope it's soon!
Do the outright 'no's get posted then too do you know?
Thanks

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now