Talk

Advanced search

March no spend ...

(221 Posts)

MNHQ have commented on this thread.

Peachsnowpop Mon 26-Feb-18 06:56:00

Who's in for March ?

I have to pay a £450 credit card bill and want to put £800 in to savings. This is going to make things extremely tight. But ! With budgeting and NSDs I hope I can achieve it. Good luck to everyone else for March

Mc180768 Mon 26-Feb-18 07:53:07

Marking my place here after reading February's no spend.

I have a tax bill to pay that has reared it's ugly head from 2013. Had to split into two payments. Just paid February's of £756 and March is same.

Credit card - have one that is maxed so my aim is to pay this one off this month. So I have no money spare for month of March. That's £1350. I have until March 23rd.

So therefore, if I spend anything extra even the slightest on a coffee, I am cheating. grin

Mc180768 Mon 26-Feb-18 07:54:27

Oh and I would like to save £300. As that is what I have budgeted I can save.

SticksOutLikeDogsBalls Mon 26-Feb-18 07:57:42

I am in for a no spend March! I have to bring my cc bill down.

Nicpem1982 Mon 26-Feb-18 08:13:25

Hi can I join?

This is new to me but I need to build up my savings so was thinking about having 30.00 per week spends money transferred into a separate account and only take that card with me if i have cash I go to the cafe at work etc and spend money on junk

Also want to try no spend weekends a couple of times this month, dd has alot of extra rehearsals over the coming months so that will fill the weekends nicely and I'm hoping to utilise our annual zoo passes and the local parks now the weather has changed

All bills are paid 30.00 per week is just for me really for my personal toiletries, a bacon sandwich etc

Any other tips

PeonyRose80 Mon 26-Feb-18 15:59:32

Could really do with some moral support with spending very little in March, please can I join?

Nicpem1982 Mon 26-Feb-18 16:09:40

There's 2 threads duplicated this is the other

www.mumsnet.com/Talk/credit_crunch/3178604-March-no-spend?msgid=75922893#75922893

chickenowner Mon 26-Feb-18 16:33:06

I'm in!

I joined in with No Spend January and February and found having these threads really helpful in concentrating the mind on not wasting money. It's made me think about what I spend money on, and why.

If I go out I make sure I have a drink and snack with me in the car or in my bag, plus I haven't paid for parking at all in 2018! There are plenty of free places to park if you are prepared to walk for a few minutes.

I've been allowing myself a monthly cinema trip or 2 (if there's something I want to see) and I meet friends for lunch once a month as well. Otherwise it's just been the essentials - food, petrol and bills.

I've also found a few other ways to save money. For example I bought a pack of 20 birthday cards from Amazon to £6.50 - a massive saving on buying individual cards each time I need one. And they are nice cards too!

smile

TerfWarz Mon 26-Feb-18 21:33:30

I'm in smile

C0untDucku1a Mon 26-Feb-18 21:38:31

I need a no spend march, but ive my dd’s bday party, a wedding in a different country, dh’s bday, mother’s day... confused

C0untDucku1a Mon 26-Feb-18 21:39:54

... and school constantly asking for money.

GottadoitGottadoit Mon 26-Feb-18 23:26:50

Eh, what’s with the two threads?

Definitely need a no spend March. I have £40 a week for groceries etc. All bills are covered and I don’t NEED clothes or makeup etc.

I keep thinking I need to spend less, and going off the rails, but this time it will be different grin

ThatIsNachoCheese Mon 26-Feb-18 23:36:55

Can I join in? Every month I have a budget and grand plans to be sensible and every month i fail.
I think this month I have been a bit more realistic with the budget so there should be no need to spend over it.

If I'm careful I should have 550 saved at the end which can go towards paying off our mounting credit card debt!

GottadoitGottadoit Tue 27-Feb-18 00:05:42

Me too. I am in danger of fucking up if I don’t get a handle on this.

£40 a week is doable for a month with just me and DD 9 who’s here half the time, isn’t it?

Peachsnowpop Tue 27-Feb-18 13:10:14

We're all on board, it starts on thur ! Actually I'm starting tomorrow on payday. I've done a Tesco on line shop with dinners and lunches for the week.

There's a duplicate thread on this coz MN errored when I posted the initial thread which meant MN posted it twice.

Nicpem1982 Wed 28-Feb-18 07:36:20

Have left main bank card at home and just hame my spends card with me so should have a nsd.

Can I ask do you have a set maintenance budget for example for bits and bobs like hair dye, face creams etc that you run out of? Or do you count that in your weekly allowance

HampsteadHeathen Wed 28-Feb-18 12:35:56

I'm going to join in this month.

I'm doing a fresh start on YNAB as I've got behind. I want to really focus on my spending because I'm self employed and have a variable income. Ideally I want to make sure that I can cover my expenses with my minimum income and know where my money is going. Any extra income I will save or allocate to something specific.

I will have some expenses for going out as I'm a single parent and I do feel the need to get out when my daughter is with her dad for the sake of my sanity but I will focus on no spend/low spend options.

FreudianSlurp Wed 28-Feb-18 13:05:37

Peach I'm in! Tried NS February but wasn't very successful so I'm thinking of it as a trial run. Maybe you could report your other thread and ask MNHQ to block replies or delete it?

FlissMumsnet (MNHQ) Wed 28-Feb-18 14:51:51

Nicpem1982 Thanks for letting us know - we've taken the duplicate thread down now so this is the main and only.

Happy Saving halo

pinkroseapp Wed 28-Feb-18 19:31:15

Dental check up £26, 50P in Tesco today.

PirateYellowbelly Wed 28-Feb-18 19:58:33

I'm in for March too. Managed really well in Jan and kind of lost my enthusiasm half way through Feb. Didn't go totally crazy but have just been to Asda when hungry and bought a load of food we didn't really need. Want to save in March so that we can get away in the summer half term as well as in August.

GottadoitGottadoit Wed 28-Feb-18 20:09:26

I've spent nothing apart from a yoga class. I'm not counting that!

Nicpem1982 Wed 28-Feb-18 20:59:08

I forgot my sandwiches today so spent 2.20 in Greggs as I had to trek through the snow and was starving. Not too bad tho deffo nsd tomorrow smile will be adding emergency mugshots to the weekly shop to live in my desk to avoid this in future

Gah81 Wed 28-Feb-18 21:46:22

Hello fellow March NSD-ers. Pleased with February, now hoping for a frugal March too. Today hasn't been good (business lunch but one I am not sure I can expense) but aiming for a NSD tomorrow!

Chimichangaz Thu 01-Mar-18 06:34:55

Spent 4.37 yesterday on top up shop and planning NSD today and tomorrow. Trying to tie this in with drinking less, specifically wine, so determined not to buy any despite the fact today and tomorrow will be tough days at work.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: