Talk

Advanced search

Frugaleers hurtling through November... is it too early to mention the C word? All welcome for money saving chat!

(1000 Posts)
Cagliostro Sun 19-Nov-17 14:18:44

Hi all, please settle in for chatting about all things frugal, and all things everything else grin

mammymammyIRL Sun 19-Nov-17 14:26:49

Thanks @Cagliostro smile
So far £10 f&b breakfast
£7.20 return train to airport

mammymammyIRL Sun 19-Nov-17 14:29:50

Have lunch eaten but not paid for yet so spends unknown grin

LonelyOversharer Sun 19-Nov-17 15:04:50

Hey all, thanks cag

I'm going to say it CHRISTMAS is nearly here!! Cleared the stuff out of the hearth and dp is getting a fire going. Got my winter candles lit (wild fig and pear & cranberry), smells all divine and wintery in here. There was is a lot of dust on the log burner.

Screed done. Dp had to go out for more sand etc, but we have a 1-2" cement floor (twas very uneven).

Nsd bar a Barclaycard payment. Was 1 day late, so had interedt, charges etc slapped on. Plus lost 0% rate. So I called them, spoke grovelled profusely to a lovely Indian lady, who said as it was my first offence they would reinstate it, and cancel the charge. I know I can only do this once, but phew!

needastrongone Sun 19-Nov-17 15:16:22

I've done that too Lonely on occasion.

Thank you for the new thread lovely Cag.

Welcome Hat, you are in the right place here, lots of support and no judgement. Lots of financial situations and goals too.

grin @ Fluffy - we would get on famously you know, even though you say you don't like people!

I've forgotten a lot of what I wanted to say.

NSD but yesterday ended up more spendy as bastard DH hadn't filled up the horse box from the last competition so £103 as it was on fumes. And £40 at Tesco buying Christmas type offers - I very rarely shop there.

Good 12 miles run today early morning with some friends and some pottering today after a busier day yesterday than I anticipated, gutted the box and took out all washable items.

I've got parsnip and ginger cake in the oven, the DC are sceptical. grin

needastrongone Sun 19-Nov-17 15:18:09

Oh and I've just fired up the laptop, so very sorry for the late reply on messages. Can you get messages from the Ipad, I think not?

ememem84 Sun 19-Nov-17 15:26:03

cag thanks for the new thread. Hope you’re feeling a bit better.

fluffy ah...never drinking again. A phrase I’ve said myself all too often. I change it now to “never drinking <specific alcohol> again” my short never again list includes tequila and sambuca. Jack Daniels occasionally makes an appearance on the list.

I’m currently (well not right this second but generally) enjoying a bottle of sip smith gin. Mm. We finished the jersey gin on Friday evening and opened be sipsmith last night. Next in the line up is a bottle of “blue bottle” gin (made in guernsey) and then a monkey 47.

meadow I hope you’re having a better day today

mammy enjoy your time away

hat welcome!

need parsnip and ginger cake sounds yum. Recipe?

And hello how you doin to everyone else xx

Fluffycloudland77 Sun 19-Nov-17 15:35:32

Thank you Cag. I've swerved starting a new thread for another month.

Hat

What sort of meals do you cook?. How much time do you have to cook?.

SnugglySnerd Sun 19-Nov-17 16:02:23

Yes we definitely need a parsnip and ginger cake recipe please that sounds delicious.

Thanks for the new thread Cag.

Been listing contents of fridge/freezer/cupboards to make a money-saving meal plan.

mammymammyIRL Sun 19-Nov-17 16:33:57

£11.50 on lunch handmade burger company le yum

£80 ish in H&M £50 on ds's Christmas outfits & a super sparkly crop top & high waisted black satin skirt for wedding I'm attending 5th jan. Got 10% disc as I joined H&M club. Ds is going to be super stylish for Christmas 🎄 smile

Dress I wanted for dd from monsoon is not what I expected at all so £30 saved smile

mammymammyIRL Sun 19-Nov-17 16:35:18

Hi need I got a sub 10 min mile on fri improvement of 3 mins this year

Thishatisnotmine Sun 19-Nov-17 16:39:58

Well, I am at home on mat leave so in theory have loads of time to cook. But with a toddler and a baby...! I have mince in the freezer which I think can do a bean heavy chilli, cottage pie and meatballs. I think I can stretch it to all three. My dh often takes leftovers for lunch. I also have four chicken leg and thigh portions. Two are just about to be roasted to pop into a coconutty curry and useful leftover chicken. We are fans of dals and beany things which is good!

My card was declined in Tesco the other day which was very embarrassing. Its also been an expensive few months as dd1 had a foot growth spurt so boots for the cold and wet walks back home from nursery were needed. She also needed a new coat. I had to get a raincover fir the carrier, a bigger warm jacket and snowsuit for dd2 (I don't drive so dc have to be appropriately dressed!) all her things came off ebay. The snowsuit looks quite worn and its made me sad as most of her clothes are her sisters hand me downs anyway. But it won't be forever.

I am going to sit down later and plan some meals and have a read through the previous thread. I know how to live!

Laska5772 Sun 19-Nov-17 16:48:50

hi newthread! thanks Cag

*need have responded but nothing urgent to read just chat.. I don't have an ipad but i can see messages on my android phone ( not that helpful I know....)

welcome * hat* this is a lovely friendly and supportive thread..
so the C word.. DH and i have set a limit of £50 for each other this year .. Neither of us are really getting into it , ( but we will be having lots of lovely food and wine) . I think its because we have Florence to look forward to before then , and imminent retirement not long after .

Also we are certainly at 'peak stuff' around here.. I don't want or need anything and nor does he .. so I have just said ,some nice choc and something off my Kindle wish list please .. We will buy for DCs and DGCs of course wider family we all agreed not to buy several years ago.

winegin I cant tell you how many times I have said 'never again' although i haven't had a serious hangover now in some years.. however I don't dink anything like the amount I did when i was younger but I don't think ill ever give it up .

Its bee na hectic and tiring - but fun- weekend with DGs ( nearly 5 now!) .. I may have to resort to wine this evening.. grin

Mammy have a great time shopping and having fun!

Laska5772 Sun 19-Nov-17 16:55:40

Hat i cannot recommend YNAB highly enough,it really revolutionised my spending, and using it i went from debt to savings! I do have the old version where you only paid once , but i still think it would be worth it.. ( also once you have done it a few times you can use the same principles on a spreadsheet)

Also I make big soups ( with stock made from using chicken carcass and whatever is left on it ) on a Sundays usually , and have that for lunch most days during the week..

Fluffycloudland77 Sun 19-Nov-17 17:06:43

cookingonabootstrap.com

I've had a card declined in the past. It happens.

Dried beans work out cheaper, soak overnight & cook in the slow cooker/on a hob. You can do them in bulk & freeze in individual portions.

I do cottage pie by frying mince & sprinkling gravy powder/granules over the mince. It soaks up the juices & makes a nice sauce.

Do you buy frozen meat? Sometimes fresh is cheaper oddly. The only thing I don't like is frozen whole chickens.

LonelyOversharer Sun 19-Nov-17 17:46:38

I've just done that fluff mince with bisto granules (and an oxo cube, smoked paprika and lea and perrins too), a veg sauce from the freezer, tomato based, added a tin of white kidney beans, and made a thick white sauce with philly (only cheese in the house). Slapped this together as a lasagne. Totally delicious! All freezer/cupboard as I ran out of time to get the lamb on. Tea for tomorrow it is then.

I found my 'notes' from January when I was frantically looking for the Barclaycard login earlier, I was over £900 worse off in my current account than I am now, mid month. Next year I am going to frugal like mad (now I know it's doable), and pay down some serious money off my credit cards.

Toasty in here, using free timber! My cat is inching nearer and nearer the fire.

needastrongone Sun 19-Nov-17 17:53:15

I’ll post again in a bit but here’s the recipe. And how it’s turned out, I am no baker, cooking yes but baking less skilled!

https://www.bakingmad.com/recipe/parsnip-and-ginger-cake-with-ginger-buttercream

Girliefriendlikesflowers Sun 19-Nov-17 17:55:49

Welcome hat you are in good company here, I have been down to a few quid to survive off before. Keep an eye on local fb buy and sell pages for kids clothes and bits, quite often clothes bundles come up for a few quid.

Thanks for the shiney new thread Cag how the pain been today?

I have had a busy but o.kay day at work, looking forward to a couple of days off, its my bday Tues - will be the grand ole age of 39 shock crazy!

Spent £2.50 on a drink and an ice scrapper thing, can't find my old one which was at least 10 years old grin

needastrongone Sun 19-Nov-17 18:20:38

Beans and pulses definitely your friend Hat, and veggie mince is cheap compared to meat alternatives. Chickpeas etc. I wouldn't think that with a toddler and baby you have a lot of time at all!

That's a brilliant improvement Mammy, sub 10mm - fab. 3 minutes is a massive reduction in time. Lots of incentive to continue. I don't know what I would do without my running. I was a bit cheesed off with a few from the club today though, we had a social run - which means we go at the pace of the slowest runner and chat and catch up. 'Cos I was going, another faster lass and our fastest guy, a few bailed. Was pissed off 'cos we never push the pace and have never left anybody ever. Still, those that came had a fab time.

Thishatisnotmine Sun 19-Nov-17 19:00:24

Beef is in the fridge, two chicken portions will soon be in the freezer. We are lucky to have a local butcher so can get very good meat cheaper than a supermarket

Fluffycloudland77 Sun 19-Nov-17 19:09:03

Also big joints of meat, bigger chickens, cheaper cuts slow cooked...I buy all the cheap pastas/spaghetti in Aldi. Can't tell the difference TBH.

If you buy branded cleaning materials that's a very easy way to save money. I do vegan baking when I want a cake. It's quicker to make too because there's no creaming butter with sugar. Vegan brownies are great & basically flour, oil, sugar, cocoa.

I've been using smart price cleaners for years with no ill effects. I even make my own laundry detergent.

I water down the all purpose cleaner 50:50 water, things still get clean.
Soda crystals for dishwasher cleaner
Caustic soda for cleaning sink traps/blocked sinks
Citric acid for de scaling the kettle. Pour the used water onto a cloth, wipe the sink over & all the limescale goes. You can put a whole pack into the washing machine to de-scale it if you have a stainless steel drum.
Cream cleaner for stubborn marks.
Glass cleaner for stainless steel appliances/shiny tiles.
White vinegar for fabric softener.

Thishatisnotmine Sun 19-Nov-17 19:50:46

Toddler dived at me and I posted too soon!

It was a really bad shop to fail as well. I was out the self service and had marshmallows, chorizo, biscuits, some wine that I had carefully chosen for our carbonara dinner... then had to say that maybe I had no money!

What is YNAB? The annoying thing is that my dh has (had?) a well paying job, we've just got into a bit of a pickle. Our long term goal is saving enough for a good deposit to buy. That just feels impossible.

That cake looks lovely!

Fluffycloudland77 Sun 19-Nov-17 19:59:06

Mine got declined a few weeks back for security for the princely sum of £1.50 in wilkos. I'd just spent £90 on groceries & they approved that.

Ynab is an app for budgeting. They might do a free trial.

There's a lag between starting frugal living & seeing results so don't give up.

Frugal queen & mortgage free in three are good frugal blogs.

WreckTangled Sun 19-Nov-17 21:22:49

SnugglySnerd Sun 19-Nov-17 21:30:51

The cake looks lovely Need.

I spent £5 on a top up shop in Aldi today. I was going to buy pakoras to go with some left over curry but I realised we had gram flour, onions and chillies so I made my own. They were lovely and there's some left for a snack in the week.

This thread is not accepting new messages.