Advanced search

So who will be returning their children to school in June?

(603 Posts)
Bigfishylittlefishy Mon 11-May-20 10:45:07

Just that really. Parents of reception, year 1 and year 6, IF schools return on the 1st of June, will you send your child in?

My son is in reception and I would be willing to send him in.

OP’s posts: |
OhCrumbsWhereNow Mon 11-May-20 10:46:35

If public transport is running reliably from where we live, then DD is definitely going back as soon as school reopens (Y6).

CaryStoppins Mon 11-May-20 10:47:37

Maybe/probably. I’ll wait and see what the plans are first.

justanotherneighinparadise Mon 11-May-20 10:47:49

I am willing to send my year 2 back if I’m asked to. I would want to know how the school was organising things though.

toolatetooearly Mon 11-May-20 10:48:22

Hell yes.

Lovemyphone Mon 11-May-20 10:48:48

I will.

So fed up of all the hysterical, militant people screaming and shouting to get their way.

If you don't want school, then home school, more room for my child.

doubleshotespresso Mon 11-May-20 10:51:28

I think probably not unless the next three weeks bring significant improvements and we are provided clear and workable methods as to how any teacher stands a chance if delivering education safely

Connie222 Mon 11-May-20 10:51:40

Nope. But Luckily I am in a position to keep my Y1 at home and I home educated her older brother for most of his primary education anyway, so it would be easy for me to do.

I really do feel for parents who would have no choice due to work and who are worried.

bathsh3ba Mon 11-May-20 10:53:24

My daughter is in Y6 and definitely. She is finding missing all the 'rite of passage' endings really hard, she needs an ending of some kind. We are in a low risk area.

Mum45678 Mon 11-May-20 10:53:35

I have a reception child and Y3 child. I am desperate for them to go back (single parent working full time) but the younger one will be upset to be going without her big sister and the faff of having to bring the elder one too will realistically mean I'll probably just wait until they can both go.

Willyoujustbequiet Mon 11-May-20 10:58:08

Thankful that mine arent in the years mentioned but I wouldn't if they were.

Pinkflipflop85 Mon 11-May-20 11:03:42

I will be sending my year 1 child.

rosecreakybex Mon 11-May-20 11:05:10

Will we have a choice? Unless taking them right out and electing to home school

Chocolateandcarbs Mon 11-May-20 11:05:20

Definitely, but I’m hoping school won’t make us buy new school shoes etc because they are outgrown and it doesn’t seem worth it for a few weeks.

crosspelican Mon 11-May-20 11:05:57

I’m keeping my Y6 home I think because she’s not pushed about going back, and it’s better for my Y4 and our home education rhythm to have the two of them together.

If she really really wants to go back then we’ll think about it, but I’d be very surprised, and we’re doing a great job at home.

Bluewarbler27 Mon 11-May-20 11:06:53

I’ll be sending mine back ASAP. My eldest teaches year 6. She’s looking forward to going back. She’s bored senseless. She’s had to go in 2 days a week but desperate to get back.

Dancingalong Mon 11-May-20 11:08:50

I’ll be sending my year 1 back and once my office reopens and I can no longer wfh I’ll send my year 3 to school too when working as we’re both key workers. Smallish village school with one form per year, not too concerned.

timeforawine Mon 11-May-20 11:09:35

Hoping nurseries are in that as yes i would be be sending her, she misses her friends so much and the structured learning, the staff want to get back too

WhyNotMe40 Mon 11-May-20 11:10:35

I'll be waiting until they have a test track and isolate procedure working effectively.
I know there are local cases still and I believe there have been school outbreaks in hubs

Concerned7777 Mon 11-May-20 11:11:09

Yes they will be going back

Angel2702 Mon 11-May-20 11:12:01

Yes and I will be hoping my year 9 with EHCP will be accommodated as working from home isn’t happing and GCSE work is not getting taught for his level online. His mental health is fragile at the best of times six months without any form of school will set him back years.

cadburyegg Mon 11-May-20 11:15:37

My DS is in YR and will be going back. I feel that benefits of him going back outweigh the very low risk of him suffering from the virus. I would not judge anyone making a different decision

Hollyhead Mon 11-May-20 11:22:59

I am a bit stuck as I have a Y1and a year 4 - our day is already stretched to the limit with 2 of us working full time and managing the DC who entertain each other. School drop off would add an extra 30 mins work to the day, and also all the organisation of uniform, getting ready for a certain time etc. I think having one back but not the other might send me over the edge I'm already working a 4.30am - 9pm day to fit everything in.

Millicent10 Mon 11-May-20 11:26:40

My children are not in the ‘right’ years to go back but I would send a year 6 back if I had one. I would personally feel uncomfortable about sending a 4/5/6 year old back. I just think that instructing a young child to socially distance may do more harm than good in the long run. I also think that most year 6s can walk home on their own, obviously infants need adults to collect.

BunsyGirl Mon 11-May-20 11:27:36

Mine will be going back as soon as they can. There were confirmed cases in their school for weeks before it closed so I don’t consider the risk to them to be any greater now.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »