Talk

Advanced search

Names you dislike/don't get?

(287 Posts)
Ghostwriter90 Tue 12-Mar-19 16:35:41

There are some names like Connie and Matilda.... Popular ones that I hate and just don't get.
Any names that are popular you just don't get?!

fiddlesticks86 Thu 14-Mar-19 21:39:17

I agree bibbety.... according to this thread I'm a moron for the name I gave my DC. I don't feel the need to justify myself but it's a perfectly normal, popular name with a nice family link - far from moronic!

formerbabe Thu 14-Mar-19 21:42:04

Oscar...just can't stand it

emilybrontescorsett Thu 14-Mar-19 21:44:04

I don't like unisex names either.

foxtiger Thu 14-Mar-19 21:49:08

Connor and Callum I just have this intense dislike for both.

I prefer both of those spelt the more traditional way, with a single consonant in the middle.

MsMustDoBetter Thu 14-Mar-19 21:56:35

Boys called Jesse, it just seems like the equivalent of calling a girl Gertrude.

Skye - it's for pets at best.

I also roll my eyes at Isobel/Isabella despite it being the middle name of my own DD!

bibbitybobbityyhat Thu 14-Mar-19 22:00:02

No name is going to be universally liked and none is going to be universally disliked. This isn't comparable to a thread like "what foods don't you like?" or "which tv programmes don't you like?" because those are not so intensely personal.

I have posted on a thread like this in the past and now I regret it and feel bad about that.

AuntMarch Thu 14-Mar-19 22:14:11

Insulting people who might choose any name is a bit out of order. It's fine not to like someone's name but no need to be a dick about it.

I was actually hoping for inspiration and wanted to see one on this list that I would love (not one though)

PinkieTuscadero Thu 14-Mar-19 22:17:06

My name's been mentioned. Absolutely fine with that.

Do people mind more if their child's name has been dissed? I suppose that's a double 'attack' (in the mildest sense) as it's attacking your taste in names as well as your child who bears that name grin

I think Mildred is awful. Bet there's a hipster couple somewhere in North London who've given their poor daughter that name.

Ghostwriter90 Thu 14-Mar-19 22:27:27

I really don't understand why some posts are being sensitive? It was more of a question about names you just don't get ie popular names you personally don't understand. Really anyone so sensitive or upset at having a post mention their name either needs not read the messages or just shrug it off.
My name and definitely middle name have been mentioned.... So what. A few names I really like have been mentioned. It has made me consider if I'd choose them but it has upset me. I can't understand why ppl would be so hurt by this post?

RMogs Thu 14-Mar-19 22:56:26

Agree with a lot. Nicknames/shortened versions...just give the full name and allow the child choice as they get older how they are known.

I discovered that I hate pretty much every name DH niece (4years younger than me) likes... suspect she'd say the same in return.

I do love some of the old testament names, but DH vetoed most of them because he'd never be able to spell them 😂

I like traditional names, although not the blah ones like Jack or George.

Also hate Fiona, Isla, Stacey, Becky...but think that may be personal association.

fiddlesticks86 Thu 14-Mar-19 22:58:34

Oh I'm not being sensitive OP... I totally understand that not all names are to everyone's liking and there's definitely some that I personally don't quite get the love for. My own name has been mentioned too & doesn't bother me in the slightest - I like it & it's done me no harm. However, to be called a moron for naming my child something that I obviously love & put great thought into is totally uncalled for. That poster needs to understand & appreciate different peoples opinions, not me.

Fifthtimelucky Thu 14-Mar-19 22:59:21

I have always disliked girls' names that are feminine versions of male names, eg Paula, Pauline, Nicola, Georgina, Freda, Henrietta, Josephine etc. I make an exception for Stephanie, which I love.

I also generally dislike the sound of names with two syllables, especially where the first syllable is long and stressed, eg Eileen, Maureen, Doreen, Julie, Jodie, Eunice, and Irene (which I love when pronounced with 3 syllables). I love Sarah though, and quite like Laura, so am not consistent.

Elmo311 Thu 14-Mar-19 23:08:37

Anything with 'lynn or lyn' added in at the end.....Shaylynn.....Scotlynn....etc i just can't!!

OutwithMyRemit Fri 15-Mar-19 09:20:22

My name has been mentioned a few times it's not Ruth but I just find that funny tbh. One of my DC has an old person name that's been mentioned too, that's fine, it's be boring if we all chose the same names.

Anyway, I don't like names that might have been quirky/original 5+ years ago but are now popular- e.g. Matilda, Arlo, Tabitha. I also know two Ramonas, which I don't like partly because it's not as original as it seems and partly because it sounds like moaner (or even Re-Moaner, of which I am one tbf wink).

Poppymailaw Fri 15-Mar-19 09:49:44

Ngl I've just been sitting here hunting for my name, quite happy it's not been put down!

GinUnicorn Fri 15-Mar-19 16:42:36

I’m surprised mine hasn’t been mentioned - I have the name of a stern headmistress which I am really not!

MyMumDimensionJumps Fri 15-Mar-19 21:25:16

Interesting thread. I think each to their own. I dislike old man/old lady names, biblical names and names where people are trying to be middle class (Benedict, Hubert etc), which leaves some more unusual names that certain people would scoff at! One thing I have learnt from these threads is there is no way you can please everyone, so there is no point trying! The way some people gasp at certain suggestions like it is child cruelty if you don't call your son Jack or George is comical really.

user1493423934 Mon 18-Mar-19 20:51:26

Any name that gets ruined with 'May' or 'Mae' added - Isla-Mae Lillie-Mae etc. Esp if they have a double-barrelled surname.
Really hate Laurie, Lori and for some reason people shortening Danielle to 'Danni.' I know a couple of Dannis and they're really nice but just hate the name.
NAmes like Ashley, Jordan, Britney etc just scream '90's!!!' to me
Also 'Bailey' quite 90's and to me not a real name, something you'd name a pet.

user1493423934 Mon 18-Mar-19 20:54:37

Also Bri- names: Briana, Brielle etc. Just creeps me out for some reason. And American-ized names - Shayna, Shayla, Shanna. And Chad, Tad etc Ugh.

PippilottaLongstocking Mon 18-Mar-19 21:48:15

I know I’ve posted in this thread at least twice but I keep thinking of more! I saw someone talk about their child ‘Aubriella’ the other day and physically winced (fortunately it was online not in person) I can’t stand the names Aubrey or Briella and a combination of the two was just too much (even though it is a separate name in its own right according to google)

mrsdavys Tue 19-Mar-19 19:06:15

Boys:
Beau
Luke/Luca/Lucas
Connor
Louis
Elliott
Isaac
Jackson
Kyle
Curtis

Girls:
Amelia
Olivia
Ava
Lauren
Jade
Chloe
Jodie
Chelsea

Nash82 Tue 19-Mar-19 20:55:41

I'm not a fan of names that are too common. Oliver, George, Jack, type names. Just a bit dull.

Really dislike Alfie, Archie, Arthur and Freddie as names.

JemSynergy Tue 19-Mar-19 22:11:17

Funny because I love names like Matilda, Florence and Poppy! I think they are beautiful names. Some of the names listed as elegant and beautiful on here are ones I find boring and bland.
One name I have always really disliked is the name Kelsey/Kelsie. Not keen on Lara either, I find it very harsh.

Orangeslemon24 Wed 20-Mar-19 07:55:45

Sorry but I hate florence, Matilda and poppy. I work with women called poppy and it sounds like a name belonging to a 5 year old or a dog.

ABitOTT Wed 20-Mar-19 07:57:25

My DCs names are listed, as are their middle names. Doesn't bother me at all as I like the names & you all have your own opinions. So I hope I won't offend when I say I am not keen on; Aurora, Margot, Penelope, Elsie, Amanda, Stephanie, Petunia, Nicola, Stacey, Henrietta, Douglas, Nigel, Quintin, Tarquin, Ptolemy, Jason. In fact I could list most names which were popular from 150s to 1980s & names that I feel are pretentious.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »