Talk

Advanced search

AIBU to refuse to wear my work uniform?

(303 Posts)
Pussinboots25 Thu 14-Nov-19 18:31:24

Hi, sorry this is a very boring AIBU. I recently got a new job and filled out a sheet regarding uniform. The options are small, medium, large and extra large and I picked small (I’m a size 6/8 and very petite)

The uniform came today and I tried it on when I got home, it is HUGE! The polo shirt is so long it almost goes to my knees and and the jacket could fit me in twice. I look absolutely ridiculous. AIBU to refuse to wear the uniform? They have told me they don’t do extra small confused

Caselgarcia Thu 14-Nov-19 18:33:48

What do you expect them to do?

lookatthebabypenguin Thu 14-Nov-19 18:34:54

I don't think "refusing" is likely to go down well. Unless you want them to dismiss you before you start.

You could try having a conversation and asking if anything can be done.

TheCanterburyWhales Thu 14-Nov-19 18:35:15

I imagine you'll be disciplined.
Is it worth it?
Just get it altered.

Pussinboots25 Thu 14-Nov-19 18:35:51

@caselgarcia I don’t know but surely they can’t expect me to work like this. I’d understand if they were a bit baggy but they are that big it’s laughable. They wouldn’t expect someone who needs an extra large to squeeze into something half their size.

katseyes7 Thu 14-Nov-19 18:36:06

Can't you just get it altered? l'm ex police and no way could l have refused to wear the uniform.

NCuserfromtheblcklagoon Thu 14-Nov-19 18:36:26

Get some else to wear it with you.

Everythingmagnolia Thu 14-Nov-19 18:36:38

Have you discussed it with them?

WorraLiberty Thu 14-Nov-19 18:36:59

Just take it somewhere to get it altered

They may even agree to pay for it

Pussinboots25 Thu 14-Nov-19 18:37:27

@lookatthebabypenguin I spoke to them on the phone as I’m expected to wear it tomorrow and they just said they don’t do extra small. I’m not usually too fussed on my appearance at work but I don’t feel comfortable one bit.

OrangeZog Thu 14-Nov-19 18:37:31

Why can’t you just alter it so it fits?

If you refuse, you will almost certainly be dismissed.

StillCoughingandLaughing Thu 14-Nov-19 18:37:38

Are there any safety issues from it being oversized (e.g. sleeves could get caught in equipment)? This might be a better angle to ask for some kind of compromise.

swapsicles Thu 14-Nov-19 18:37:40

Unless it's dangerous or unsafe being larger than normal them you'll have to wear it. Looking ridiculous isn't a reason not to wear a uniform

HavelockVetinari Thu 14-Nov-19 18:37:47

@NCuserfromtheblcklagoon gringrin

Butchyrestingface Thu 14-Nov-19 18:38:13

You need to ask them for a solution. Unless of course, you want to be fired before you even start.

I take this isn’t a plain uniform you could easily replicate?

lookatthebabypenguin Thu 14-Nov-19 18:38:14

So ask if you can take up the polo shirt. Tuck it in. Ask if you can source an alternative plain navy or whatever colour it is jacket.

I think you are being a little dramatic.

CastleCrasher Thu 14-Nov-19 18:38:38

Can you get it taken in? Is the Polo shirt a pain one that could be purchased elsewhere? What type of work do you do? If there's a safety aspect (eg the uniform could get caught in equipment) then it would be reasonable for your employer to pay to have it adjusted if needed. If it's purely asthetics, then you'll need to pay for it yourself most likely

HavelockVetinari Thu 14-Nov-19 18:38:47

Turn up wearing it - they'll soon see you look ridiculous, and if it's a customer-facing role I'm sure they'll do something.

Pussinboots25 Thu 14-Nov-19 18:39:30

@lookatthebabypenguin I’m not a confident person as it is so I’m not going to work looking ridiculous. Like I said, if it was a big baggy it wouldn’t bother me but a polo shirt to my knees, really? I will look into getting them altered.

I would also happily pay for 2 more if I could get the correct size

lookatthebabypenguin Thu 14-Nov-19 18:39:46

So wear it tomorrow and have a calm conversation about it in person.

Pussinboots25 Thu 14-Nov-19 18:39:53

@HavelockVetinari very true! I’ll upload a picture when I’ve had my tea and you’ll all see what I mean!

madcatladyforever Thu 14-Nov-19 18:40:17

Go in wearing the uniform. See what they say.

MindyStClaire Thu 14-Nov-19 18:41:01

Are the men's and women's uniform the same? A men's small would be too big for many women. Wondering if this is an invisible women/default male issue.

Is the uniform safe to wear? Is it comfortable? Too big is a bit different to too small. Could you ask them to pay for the alterations?

Pussinboots25 Thu 14-Nov-19 18:41:11

I’m a play therapist at the local hospital so there is no safety risks involved

Pussinboots25 Thu 14-Nov-19 18:42:08

@MindyStClaire we have no men in my department so I’m not entirely sure. I’m hoping they take one look at me and understand why I don’t want to wear it

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »