Talk

Advanced search

To think this won't ruin Christmas?

(979 Posts)
CaterpillarInTheGarden Mon 23-Sep-19 09:14:48

Mil was saying it won't be long until dc will believe in santa-claus (dc is only 22 months so surely it would be next Christmas not the upcoming Christmas hmm). I mentioned we were thinking of not doing the whole santa-claus thing and telling him the truth. Mil said how awful I was, and I will be ruining Christmas for my dc and that I'm a very selfish women.

AIBU to think that's a over reaction and it won't ruin Christmas. Any of you not do the whole santa-claus thing for Christmas?

Sirzy Mon 23-Sep-19 09:16:23

Although ruining Christmas is a bit extreme I do think it would take away some of the magic of it in the early years.

If you tell him the truth from an early age you better do some serious priming to make sure he doesn’t spoil it for his peers.

CaterpillarInTheGarden Mon 23-Sep-19 09:16:32

Also received a text this morning saying she hopes I have changed my mind and seen some sense

CassianAndor Mon 23-Sep-19 09:18:36

Frankly, I think it makes you a fun sponge of the highest order.

And you'll have to teach them not to blurt it out in front of their friends.

Benes Mon 23-Sep-19 09:19:27

I've heard of people doing this and always thought it was a little bit mean. Believing in father Christmas is part of the magic of childhood. I've never heard of a child being upset that their parents 'lied' but I do know lots of children and adults who talk about the magic of Christmas.

But this debate has been done before on mn so I know there are plenty of people who disagree.

edwinbear Mon 23-Sep-19 09:19:48

I'm with your MIL.

HeadintheiClouds Mon 23-Sep-19 09:19:56

Why would you do that? hmm. The grinch is alive and well.

Howlovely Mon 23-Sep-19 09:20:03

May I ask why you don't want your child to have Father Christmas? I'm sorry but in think that is truly, truly sad. Nothing as an adult ever genuinely replicates the excitement and magic of Father Christmas as a child. I can't understand why you wouldn't want your child to have that. Plus you could of course inadvertently ruin it for all of your child's friends if he tells them all.

OhJustElfOff Mon 23-Sep-19 09:20:12

But why would you do this?

NoSauce Mon 23-Sep-19 09:20:28

Why on earth would you do that?

Benes Mon 23-Sep-19 09:20:53

Oh and yes make sure they don't tell other kids!

Snipples Mon 23-Sep-19 09:21:08

Yeah I'm with your MIL too tbh. Don't suck the fun out of Christmas and use the "truth" as the reason. I loved believing in Santa as a child. It really was magical.

valleysareus Mon 23-Sep-19 09:21:11

It has not harmed any child believing in Santa and I don't think it's fair on your little one being the only one especially when they start school to not believe in Santa. Imagine if they started telling his friends that Santa isn't real and the friends say he does and it causes conflict in the friendship, because at a young age I'm sure it would.

What harm is there in letting them believe in Santa?

Atalune Mon 23-Sep-19 09:21:45

I think this is so sad. Why? Why would you?

There is so little magic and joy in life and little children believing in Santa, the tooth fairy is really rather sweet.

CalmFizz Mon 23-Sep-19 09:22:19

In wanting ‘honesty’ with your child, to be a decent human being, the lesson has to come with a big dose of training in never revealing the ‘truth’ to his peers.

MrsBungle Mon 23-Sep-19 09:22:37

Aw, I find it really sad that you’d deny your child a wee bit of the “magic” of Christmas.

LunasOrchid Mon 23-Sep-19 09:22:47

What a kill joy 🙄 Is another one of those current 'Oh look at how alternative I am' trends? 'Oh I don't lie to my child'.

Ellie56 Mon 23-Sep-19 09:22:52

Is that you Scrooge?

OhJustElfOff Mon 23-Sep-19 09:22:56

This has to be a reverse. I would be equally upset if my children decided to abolish Father Christmas for their children

NoCauseRebel Mon 23-Sep-19 09:23:04

Agree with your MIL

MrsMozartMkII Mon 23-Sep-19 09:23:23

Aw. Why do it? There's so little magical whimsy left in the world.

Atlasta Mon 23-Sep-19 09:24:00

Please do the Santa thing. It makes Christmas magical for a child.

Zebraaa Mon 23-Sep-19 09:24:20

Oh dear hmm

crustycrab Mon 23-Sep-19 09:24:21

"The whole Santa Claus thing"?? hmm

Poor kid, I think it's cruel. Why wouldn't you want your child to have that little bit of magic?

notsohippychick Mon 23-Sep-19 09:24:34

Sorry I agree with your MIL. Let your child enjoy believing in him. I have two children and it’s just magical. Life is hard enough. Don’t be so serious.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »