Talk

Advanced search

Aibu to wear this dress to a funeral?

(166 Posts)
WillyNilly00 Wed 28-Nov-18 22:58:46

I already have this dress and have a funeral next week. I intend to wear it with black tights and black ankle boots with a small heel. Also I am 5 foot tall so it is practically knee length on me.

I thought it was perfect but DH seems to think it's "too much".

So Wibu to wear it?

SchnooSchnoo Wed 28-Nov-18 23:00:20

Looks fine to me.

MsVestibule Wed 28-Nov-18 23:01:28

Hmm, I don't really think it's suitable funeral attire either. It's the sort of style I'd wear on a night out.

HundredMilesAnHour Wed 28-Nov-18 23:01:55

Definitely fine.

StoneofDestiny Wed 28-Nov-18 23:02:07

Fine
But not everybody expects black at funerals anymore

TheWoollybacksWife Wed 28-Nov-18 23:04:22

It looks lovely.

Have you worn it before? Are you sure it won't gape - if needs be carry a couple of safety pins for added security.

Bostin Wed 28-Nov-18 23:05:55

Too dressy

Sunisshining5346 Wed 28-Nov-18 23:06:40

That's really nice xx

londonmummy1966 Wed 28-Nov-18 23:07:51

It is a bit short for a funeral tbh. DO you have a pair of black jeans or trousers you could wear underneath? That would be more suitable than tights. Also could you wear a vest or crew neck Tshirt underneath? If not then perhaps a broach at the top of the neckline to close it?

Any other situation it would be lovely but I feel that there is a bit more flesh on show than there should be for a funeral, lovely though it is.

wonderstuff Wed 28-Nov-18 23:07:59

Looks fine.

PickAChew Wed 28-Nov-18 23:08:43

With thick tights and probably under a coat, anyhow, since it's almost winter, it'll be fine.

Just don't pout like the model, then no one will bat an eyelid.

Grilledaubergines Wed 28-Nov-18 23:08:55

It’s a lovely dress. I do think it’s suitable but if you have a jacket to go over it, even better.

I went to a funeral recently where there was barely any black. No eyebrows raised that I could see.

peachgreen Wed 28-Nov-18 23:09:01

Good grief. Please don't wear it with trousers and a crew neck. You're going to a funeral, not a nunnery.

Keep jewellery and make-up simple and make sure the tights are opaque. It's totally fine.

ShovingLeopard Wed 28-Nov-18 23:09:05

Absolutely fine.

3boysandabump Wed 28-Nov-18 23:10:11

It's fine

Grilledaubergines Wed 28-Nov-18 23:10:22

Jeans under a dress for a funeral. Now that isn’t a good look. Even without the funeral! OP has already said she’s not as tall as the model and will be longer on her.

WillyNilly00 Wed 28-Nov-18 23:10:43

I've worn it before and it doesn't gape, it fits nice. I did consider it maybe looking too dressy but I thought opaque black tights and a neutral tone scarf would make it a little more daytime?

Also it's certainly not what I would wear of a night out but I am a fairly formal dresser, I wear similar dresses on weekends.

Kindofnewtothis Wed 28-Nov-18 23:11:07

I think the dress is fab! Sorry to jump onto a thread but I also have a funeral coming up next week and was wondering, if I'm wearing a black dress black tights and blacks flats, could I wear a creamy/camel coat??? Or is this a big no no?

Grilledaubergines Wed 28-Nov-18 23:12:11

Honestly OP, you will look suitably dressed. As far as I’m aware there’s no law against showing a little bit of flesh!

TheWoollybacksWife Wed 28-Nov-18 23:13:24

Then it sounds perfect.

BumsexAtTheBingo Wed 28-Nov-18 23:13:31

It’s a bit frilly for a funeral for me. I’d wear something plainer tbh.

WillyNilly00 Wed 28-Nov-18 23:14:09

Thank you everyone! I feel alot better, I haven't been to a funeral before so was unsure.

Also, I promise not to pout or wear jeans underneath grin

CherryPavlova Wed 28-Nov-18 23:14:49

I think most people who are bereaved don’t even notice what people are wearing. It’s fine it you put some black tights with it.

Bigonesmallone3 Wed 28-Nov-18 23:14:58

I would wear that to a funeral

PositivelyPERF Wed 28-Nov-18 23:15:11

Good grief! What kind of funerals do some of these posters go to? It’s lovely OP and entirely appropriate for a funeral, though I would wear thick tights under it, as the weather is Baltic. Maybe pop a inconspicuous black tee shirt under it, to keep warm and you can take it off later, in the loos, if you get too warm at the after funeral tea.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: