Talk

Advanced search

To stop sending my child to nursery cause they allow him outside

(647 Posts)
O8O818 Sun 25-Nov-18 06:58:11

blush here me out, I hope I'm not being PFB but I am so fed up with my child's nursery. Time and time again I've said he is not to be outside, but nobody listens! Each day he comes home caked in mud, all up his back, caked on his shoes, not wearing any gloves or a hat, some times not even wearing his wellies just his indoor shoes! Its Baltic. On Friday I went to collect him and they said he was outside making hot chocolate... with the mud confused he was rolling around like a pig in shit grin but he was covered from head to toe, in his hair, his ears, his back from when another kid through a mudball at him hmm I don't know whether I'm overreacting though? Aibu!!

AJPTaylor Sun 25-Nov-18 06:59:23

Yabu.

candlefloozy Sun 25-Nov-18 06:59:54

He should be in protective warm
Clothes. He should be allowed to play outside but adequately dressed imo

Dogsorlogs Sun 25-Nov-18 07:00:07

Yeah you're over reacting. Let him play, he's obviously happy, a mucky kid is a happy kid.

NisekoWhistler Sun 25-Nov-18 07:00:08

Yabvu

exLtEveDallas Sun 25-Nov-18 07:00:30

Yes you are overreacting. Children need to be outside. They need to play and sometimes that means they need to get filthy. Don't stop your child having fun.

Orchidflower1 Sun 25-Nov-18 07:00:51

As long as he’s got wellies and outdoor coat yabu.

O8O818 Sun 25-Nov-18 07:00:53

I don't mind him playing outside but does he really need to be rolling about in the mud?

LiDLrichardsPistachioSack Sun 25-Nov-18 07:01:15

hmm

balalalala Sun 25-Nov-18 07:01:25

Yabu. Personally I'm thrilled that nursery ensures my dd goes outside to play at least twice a day every day! What is it that you are worried about?

SnuggyBuggy Sun 25-Nov-18 07:02:11

Kids love mud. Just send him in suitable clothes and bath at the end of the day.

BendydickCuminsnatch Sun 25-Nov-18 07:02:26

I assume those wellies are post-cleaning?? They look fine if not, that’s what they’re for. BUT I do think it’s a bit out of order to let him get cakes in mud, mud in his hair, throwing mud balls etc.
My son’s nursery is one where they go outside everyday and do lots of forest school, it’s soooo good for them. There’s no bad weather, only bad clothing! So I wouldn’t pull him out but I do think this sounds a bit extreme/unsupervised!

O8O818 Sun 25-Nov-18 07:02:35

He does wear his jacket but not often wellies, as they don't put them on for him. Admitedly he wore them inside the nursery on Friday as I had run out of shoes for him!!!
Then sometimes I'll have to send him to nursery in a zip up hoodie but even that doesn't stop them allowing him outside confused

Northernmum100 Sun 25-Nov-18 07:02:49

Is he happy? My kids did outdoor stuff and loved it. Lots of schools now do forest school sessions so seems to be a drive to get kids outdoors and enjoying that environment which I think is a good thing.

Boots/shoes off at door, shower/bath to hose the dirt off and you are sorted.

Groovee Sun 25-Nov-18 07:03:15

Buy an all in one waterproof suit for him going outside. Its what we use at nursery when we know we have ones who will cake themselves in mud. Easily popped in the washing machine after the session and hung up to dry overnight.

Redgreencoverplant Sun 25-Nov-18 07:03:18

YABU. I appreciate it's annoying with regards washing but toddlers should be free to roll in mud (unless somewhere like a wedding). Just bung his clothes in the washing machine, rinse off his wellies and bung him in the bath when you get home.

1moreRep Sun 25-Nov-18 07:03:31

kids need time outside yabu

anatol Sun 25-Nov-18 07:03:41

YABU.

Playing outside is so important for children, particularly nowadays as children are spending less and less time outdoors on a daily basis. There are studies showing it has a positive impact on mental and emotional wellbeing, resilience and learning.
Send him in in warm clothes and some waterproofs and let him enjoy it.

O8O818 Sun 25-Nov-18 07:03:59

Oh yes he was unsupervised on Friday as all the teachers are inside with the other kids. Even the kid who through the ball of mud went inside as it was too cold!

Tadda Sun 25-Nov-18 07:04:01

Personally I think playing outside getting covered in mud essential!!
But I don't think YBU about him wearing outside shoes/wellies had and gloves especially in this weather...If have a little word about that.
As for getting dirty throwing mud pies- I'm all for it smile

TwiceMagic Sun 25-Nov-18 07:04:15

Outdoor play - however messy - is very good for children. There’s loads of research about this.

Send him in old/cheap clothes and give him a bath/shower at home, OP. You won’t be doing him any favours being precious about him being clean all the time.

O8O818 Sun 25-Nov-18 07:04:58

I've sent him in with a suit thingy but they don't put it on him

Yura Sun 25-Nov-18 07:05:19

Dirty kids are happy kids. get proper waterproof shoes for him and playwear clothes

flooredbored Sun 25-Nov-18 07:06:13

To be honest I think it is more of an issue that you arent always supplying suitable clothing. I would expect him to go out everyday and make sure he has suitable clothing and plenty of spares. Cheap second hand stuff is best for nursery as it always gets messy.

gerispringer Sun 25-Nov-18 07:06:29

Sound like he s having fun . What’s wrong with a bit of mud? Some schools have a “mud kitchen” outside. Maybe outside play is part of their ethos. Some nurseries are completely outdoor whatever the weather.. I would think being outside as much as possible is good thing, but if you want your little one to be squeaky clean everyday then keep him at home in cotton wool or change nurseries..

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »