Talk

Advanced search

To point out that Ireland is a separate country?

(419 Posts)
DrMantisToboggan Sat 07-Jul-18 21:41:53

Just that.

Ireland is a sovereign state, not part of the U.K. It hasn’t been part of the U.K. since 1922.

Northern Ireland is part of the United Kingdom. It’s not part of Great Britain though.

Some people refer to Ireland as the Republic of Ireland, partly to differentiate it from Northern Ireland, but the legal name of the state is Ireland.

While I’m at it, the term “British Isles” is controversial and the product of colonialist geography (geography is not a value-free discipline obviously). The British Gov itself apparently has internal guidance not to use it. In joint documents the British and Irish Govs use the euphemistic phrase “these islands”, and other options include Western Atlantic Archipelago or Islands Of the North Atlantic.

There’s no such country as “Southern Ireland”. And “Eire” is also incorrect, unless you’re in the habit of referring to Germany as Deutschland or Spain as España.

Shitonthebloodything Sat 07-Jul-18 21:43:19

Righto. Noted.

StealthPolarBear Sat 07-Jul-18 21:43:28

Thank you, that's the clearest explanation I've seen

DrMantisToboggan Sat 07-Jul-18 21:43:36

smile

Toooldtobearsed Sat 07-Jul-18 21:44:32

Have to admit 'British Isles' thing is new to me, but the rest is surely common knowledge.

There is obviously a reason for you posting this, can I ask what that was? I am obviously missing something........

Chocolatepeanuts Sat 07-Jul-18 21:45:11

Hopefully this wont he deleted as another TAAT. These facts are pointed out a LOT on MN, particularly on Brexit threads but somehow it doesnt seem to sink in....

LivLemler Sat 07-Jul-18 21:47:10

Thanks OP smile

9amTrain Sat 07-Jul-18 21:47:12

Deja vu...

AWomanIsAnAdultHumanFemale Sat 07-Jul-18 21:48:17

Clear and concise! Thank you Dr.

Let the confusion die here! grin

Btw “The British Gov itself apparently has internal guidance not to use it.”

I didn’t know this! ^

BreakfastAtSquiffanys Sat 07-Jul-18 21:48:20

Some people refer to Ireland as the Republic of Ireland, partly to differentiate it from Northern Ireland, but the legal name of the state is Ireland

The entire island (including Northern Ireland) is also called Ireland.
Referring to the sovereign state as the Republic of Ireland avoids this ambiguity

Jasperoonicle Sat 07-Jul-18 21:48:28

Third thread today on it - lets hope it hits 'home' before this too, is deleted.

AWomanIsAnAdultHumanFemale Sat 07-Jul-18 21:49:44

This one won’t be deleted, we’ve had assurances wink

SilverySurfer Sat 07-Jul-18 21:50:17

Doesn't everyone know this? Really?

michellefromtheresistance Sat 07-Jul-18 21:50:50

There is obviously a reason for you posting this, can I ask what that was

TSSDNCOP

Or something like that.

The British Gov itself apparently has internal guidance not to use it

That's interesting.

Racecardriver Sat 07-Jul-18 21:50:55

As opposed to think that Ireland is a English county nestled between Norfolk and Lincolnshire?

michellefromtheresistance Sat 07-Jul-18 21:51:28

Doesn't everyone know this? Really

Some people don't.

Hideandgo Sat 07-Jul-18 21:52:44

And on the Brexit issue, it’s not Brexit, it’s UKexit.

AWomanIsAnAdultHumanFemale Sat 07-Jul-18 21:53:22

Doesn't everyone know this? Really

Some genuinely don’t.

LivLemler Sat 07-Jul-18 21:54:52

The number of posts I've seen on MN over the years who don't know this is astounding.

Referring to the sovereign state as the Republic of Ireland avoids this ambiguity.

Absolutely, but "Republic of Ireland" is really only necessary where there is ambiguity. Most of the time Ireland is just fine.

PortiaCastis Sat 07-Jul-18 21:55:17

Not Irish but by god their rugby team are brilliant and yes Ireland is a Sovereign state.

duckfuckduck Sat 07-Jul-18 21:56:13

placemarking

DrMantisToboggan Sat 07-Jul-18 21:59:45

As opposed to think that Ireland is a English county nestled between Norfolk and Lincolnshire?

As opposed to thinking Ireland is still part of the U.K., like Wales or Scotland. This is a surprisingly common misapprehension on MN, and in wider English society in my experience.

Perhaps down to inadequate education? Insularity?

michellefromtheresistance Sat 07-Jul-18 22:00:09

Channelling Richard Osmon again, Scotland is a country but is not a sovereign State.

(which does go against something I said before).

FadedRed Sat 07-Jul-18 22:10:19

RE Richard Osman and his ilk: watch any TV quiz show and be appalled at the ignorance of geography and history in the average contestant. Especially compared with their knowledge of football, TV soaps, pop music and 'slebs'.

bluemascara Sat 07-Jul-18 22:13:42

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: