Talk

Advanced search

Wedding day....England are playing?????

(911 Posts)
arghhhhhhh Wed 04-Jul-18 15:11:28

Just been on fb and someone I know (though not well and I am nit invited to the wedding!) is getting married on Saturday. Obviously England are playing.

She has it a status on saying she has had multiple requests from guests wanting to know if the football will be shown.

Her status basically says she's angry at the messages she's had and under no circumstances will the football be shown. It's her wedding and the day is about that and that only. She's asked that no one checks their phones during the match and is even going to have a sign made for when people enter the venue as a reminder it's a football free zone.

Now she's had a fair few comments - a couple even say they wouldn't attend if they were invited due to her attitude.

What's everyone's opinions?

Me personally, I'd show it! I love football though, I've followed the World Cup through out and I'd be gutted if I couldn't watch it! I'd be making arrangements with the venue to make sure it's on.

The atmosphere would be amazing. I'd be jumping around with everyone else in my dress.....

Also a great way to break up the day. The day goes so fast for the bride and groom but the day guests....it can be such a long and tiring day. What a great way to break up the day!

Also, we are doing well, we haven't been in this situation where we may actually have a good chance of WINNING!!!! for years and probably never will again. The whole country is routing for them. Even people who don't like football are into it. I just don't think it's fair to expect people not to watch it, or not even check their phones!

Saying that....I do understand this lady's frustrations. She's been planning this wedding for over a year. I got married quite recently and know the stress etc of planning....but yeah, wouldn't make any difference to me. I'd be so excited for it to be shown!

Opinions? Is she being unreasonable? It's her and her partners day at the end of it.....I'd be worried my guests wouldn't show up though....

OlennasWimple Wed 04-Jul-18 15:29:09

Surely it's one of those things that she just has to roll with and try to minimise the impact on her plans?

Timing is obviously key whether it cuts across the service, or the reception, or not much. But to ban any mention at all is just not going to work, is it?

Badtasteflump Wed 04-Jul-18 15:30:20

Oh dear! I made the same mistake when I booked my wedding years ago - thinking England would be out by then. They weren't.

It was ok though, by the time it was being shown we were married, the meal was done, I was quite drunk & didn't give a monkeys who was watching what or anything much at all smile. So I suppose it all depends on the timings.

Football will be just as important to sone guests as her wedding though - or more so. If she doesn't give a bit she'll end up with a very quiet wedding, I think.

Sleeplikeasloth Wed 04-Jul-18 15:30:27

You've got to go with what you've got, and if you get married when England is at the quarter final, you can choose to either pretend to carry on, knowing that some people will be grumpy, sneak out, be checking their phones etc, or you just say sod it, and try to accommodate it. I think ultimately the second option will be less disruptive.

YesThisIsMe Wed 04-Jul-18 15:31:03

When we were viewing our wedding reception venue it was on a Friday during Euro 96. The bloke showed us round and talked us through our options, and said the the next day would be his first summer Saturday off for three years. A couple had booked the venue several months previously, and he’d warned them that it was the date of the England/Scotland group stage game and it might be an unpopular date for their guests. The bride dismissed the idea that any of her friends would prefer a football match to her wedding. Once the invitations were sent out she discovered where their priorities really lay. They moved their wedding date and the venue owner spent the deposit on beer to drink watching the game.

IllHaveALargeGlassOfRed Wed 04-Jul-18 15:31:25

I can't stand football but yes, in this circumstance, I would just show it. The fans at the wedding will love you forever! The alternative is lots of grumpy/disappearing/totally distracted on phone guests.

SandAndSea Wed 04-Jul-18 15:32:16

I would adjust the schedule (if necessary) and show it.

Every formal wedding I've ever been to has left the guests on their own for a big chunk of the day (presumably for the photos) and it's almost always awkward and boring for the guests. I can't think of anything better to do during this time.

MissionItsPossible Wed 04-Jul-18 15:32:31

Does the groom's name begin with a B, OP? I know someone getting married that day (not invited either)

dinosaursandtea Wed 04-Jul-18 15:32:46

Oh god, seriously? I can’t think of anything worse. Is a sports game really more important than a friend’s wedding? God, football people are obnoxious.

Toddlerteaplease Wed 04-Jul-18 15:32:51

If people I cared about enough to invite to my wedding were more interested in the football I'd not be a happy bunny and I think it would do serious damage to our friendship.

WindDoesNotBreakTheBendyTree Wed 04-Jul-18 15:33:09

So long as its not during the vows, she needs to embrace it
Otherwise probably more than 50% of the people who attend will not want to be there/be checking her phones.
She clearly has no sense of occasion - sounds utterly joyless, what a controlling and miserable approach

FWIW I went to a wedding a while back when they showed the FA Cup final and it was ACE

Case in point about how people have lost their minds and sense of perspective on weddings. It's supposed to be a community celebration of a marriage, a party. It's not like everyone should be solemnly contemplating the bride and groom and their special day (vom) all day.

EspressoButler Wed 04-Jul-18 15:33:40

She’s being very unreasonable.
It’s on mid afternoon. Arrange a room with big tv at the venue and she and new husband can bugger off for their 3 hours of photos whilst their guests watch the match.

DayManChampionOfTheSun Wed 04-Jul-18 15:34:11

There was a match playing when a friend of mine got married. Loads of people went into the pub bit attached to the hotel to watch. I thought it was fucking rude tbh

sonjadog Wed 04-Jul-18 15:34:12

She’s fighting a losing battle. If I were her, I’d just accept it.

Mummyoflittledragon Wed 04-Jul-18 15:34:18

Dh ensured our wedding didn’t clash with games. Never entered my head. In her position I’d schedule round it. If the ceremony is during the match people will have to wait. Not great. But what can you do? Perhaps toasts can be shifted around and maybe the meal if she asks but not on the day.

ReanimatedSGB Wed 04-Jul-18 15:34:45

Oh, the poor woman. Part of the problem with these tedious month-long football competitions is that you can't know, years in advance, when the more important bits will be happening: her wedding will have been booked long before the actual schedule of football games was sorted.

This is one of the reasons why I absolutely despise sport, and people who are obsessed with watching other people do sport. Whatever this bride does or says, some people will either insist on having access to television or their phones or something during her wedding or will not turn up. I hope for her sake that the actual ceremony is mid-morning and doesn't clash with the actual playing of the football match - because it might be feasible to arrange a telly in a side room or something for part of the reception. As long as there is entertainment and/or peace and quiet for those guests and family members who don't give a toss about men's football anyway, and it isn't allowed to dominate the entire day.

Slightlyjaded Wed 04-Jul-18 15:34:51

What time is the ceremony?

If the match clashes with that, fair enough to say 'Please look at me'.
But if not, I'd deffo have it on somewhere.

In fact, if match clashed with ceremony, I'd 'skyplus' it and ban everyone from checking phones till 6pm (or whatever) and play it at a time to suit me.

loveisland Wed 04-Jul-18 15:35:18

Funny enough World Cup football was on when I got married, we shown it on the hotel screen a few men watched whilst the rest of us sat outside on the patio! Bit of a storm in a tea cup for the bride!

Storm4star Wed 04-Jul-18 15:35:43

Ok, I say this as a non football fan but to me, anyone who would choose a football game over coming and celebrating my wedding is not a good friend. Those who chose football over my wedding wouldn't be hearing from me again.

IF, I could fit it in with the rest of the day, I would consider showing it, but very much depends on her timings. The not checking phones while the game is on, again depends very much on timings. I mean if the game is the same time as the ceremony then yes of course she isn't going to want people glued to their phones during that. But, if it was on while maybe photos were being taken or something, then I don't see the harm.

Grimbles Wed 04-Jul-18 15:35:43

If you were that much of a football fan why accept an invite to a wedding being held during the world cup?

runningkeenster Wed 04-Jul-18 15:35:48

I would hate it. It's pretty stressful watching England so even those who like football might not want to watch it or have people constantly broadcasting every goal and miss.

I don't think she has an attitude problem. Surely a wedding is more important than a sporting fixture? Though I tend to agree with people who have asked why they planned a wedding for the middle of the WC.

itbemay Wed 04-Jul-18 15:36:07

I would show it, or risk losing guests to separate bar areas / phones.... shes being a diva and needs to get a grip!

WomanWithAltitude Wed 04-Jul-18 15:36:26

I kind of agree with her, although demanding a totally football free zone is a bit OTT.

If you show an England match at your wedding, what happens if they get knocked out? Everyone is on a downer, and remembers your wedding as the one where England were knocked out of the world cup.

Not the memories I'd want of my wedding day tbh. But asking people not to even check their phones for the results is OTT.

GahWhatever Wed 04-Jul-18 15:36:28

How can people be so bloody rude?
They are invited to a wedding. You don't watch the telly at a wedding!

nervousnails Wed 04-Jul-18 15:36:35

No matter what she does, the guests who want to watch the game will do it by hook or by crook. Reminds me of that Friends episode where Joey takes a telly/radio to Monica's nan's funeral. grin

runningkeenster Wed 04-Jul-18 15:37:03

She clearly has no sense of occasion - sounds utterly joyless, what a controlling and miserable approach

It's her WEDDING. A once (hopefully) in a lifetime occasion!

There are football matches every week, somewhere in the world.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: