Talk

Advanced search

To think Mumsnet doesn't hate Instagram influencers?

(1000 Posts)

MNHQ have commented on this thread.

jamoncrumpets Wed 30-May-18 09:04:57

And for prominent influencers who I will not name here for fear of them kicking off and getting the thread pulled to even hint that this might be the case is irresponsible on their part?

SO much gets discussed on MN every day. So much gets criticised. Social media influencers are a new and intriguing phenomenon - why wouldn't they be discussed here? For better or worse?

Many people have supported influencers for the way they earn money. That gets ignored. Many have politely criticised and pointed out ways it could be more ethical. This gets ignored. One or two have made comments that are personal or cross the line, these have been pounced on and discussed publicly.

The 'arguments' die down. People stop caring. Then prominent influencers go and start the whole thing up again.

Blaming MN is just lazy and irresponsible.

lamerde Wed 30-May-18 09:11:51

What I’ve taken from it is that their egos are stroked on instgram and elsewhere they’re questioned on the transparency of what they’re promoting and they do not like it one bit.

falang Wed 30-May-18 09:18:14

I can't take anyone seriously who would describe themselves as an influencer. It's such a wanky term. Therefore I don't look at anyone who has that in their bio. Ok, sometimes I do but only to silently mock. I don't really think they care about what's on MN but they can use the criticism to try and get even more attention. As you say OP MN says lots of things about lots of subjects. If they are going to live their lives on Instagram surely they realise there will be some negatives.

Kisbot Wed 30-May-18 09:36:36

While I don’t at all hate instamumas /influencers, I think less of them for their choice of income and I don’t think ‘ building up followers so you can sell stuff to them - hawking ‘ is something to be proud of. Using your children to increase earnings even worse.
The deleted one has to find a way back without loss of face ergo, of course mumsnet will be to blame
Even though that is blatantly untrue as the truth has been lost in the ether. ( the relevant posts got deleted.) Funny that.

jamoncrumpets Wed 30-May-18 09:46:04

Kisbot - MN already is to blame for that one. Despite numerous valid arguments about ethics/ASA infringements.

moita Wed 30-May-18 09:59:12

From what I've read on here there's a lot of support for women like Mother Pukka - who is very open and honest and takes criticism on board. It's women who get defensive when people question what they're doing who (rightly in my opinion) get pulled up.

jamoncrumpets Wed 30-May-18 10:03:43

Not just women either Moita, it seems...

Boredandtired Wed 30-May-18 10:09:48

It is not fair that mumsnet gets painted as a pit of doom that does nothing but personally bitch about accounts. Just yesterday there was a thread about some parents who were seeking advice on using their child's earnings to pay off their debts. The child was a baby. I didn't read the whole thread but the general consensus was this was money the baby has earned and belonged to them and it was likely illegal to use it, with various input about paying it back etc.
My advice was to get that baby on Instagram where they could milk it for all it's worth with no moderation or regulation and do what they want with the money, given clearing their debt would give the family a better life.
The self obsessed, staring at themselves in their phones accounts have started to make me feel really uncomfortable, the thousands of comments adoring and 'loving' accounts holders is just so weird and unhealthy. No one has to account for anything they do or promote or how they behave and it's just awful. It worries me that this is the new future for our kids.

MarshaBradyo Wed 30-May-18 10:12:50

It’s a good thing people are considering what it means to use others for content, that it’s for profit and privacy doesn’t feature

I couldn’t care less if people want to be defensive and blame others and won’t give it air time

But it’s not just here, The Guardian article generated many comments with the same discomfort

We don’t all just have to ride the SM wave to a life of selling

jamoncrumpets Wed 30-May-18 10:16:43

It's healthy to question these things. It's unhealthy to live in an echo chamber mainly characterised by pictures of your own face.

Boredandtired Wed 30-May-18 10:19:57

The comments on posts are 🤢
Sycophantic fools.

MarshaBradyo Wed 30-May-18 10:20:06

I just wouldn’t look
It’s not worth it
I have no problem with anything that has been discussed
If not what next..

PeakPants Wed 30-May-18 10:21:55

I don't think MN hates them, but I do think what they are doing is so ethically dubious and that when their children grow up, they will not be impressed with how their parents made money from putting their faces all over the internet. If I was one of their kids, I would demand a fat share of that, same as I would if I found out my mum made money out of me being a model. Being a model isn't even the same- you could be the face of Aptamil, but people wouldn't know your name or recognise you. These kids have had their whole lives put out there for the followers. Without consent. I wouldn't want that as an adult, so how the hell can I say that's okay for a child?

Namechanger41 Wed 30-May-18 10:31:16

Courtney Adamo just used her mum's 60th as an #ad. Sad.

Kisbot Wed 30-May-18 10:33:41

Jamon, ‘ mumsnet already is to blame’ ok. I didn’t know. Isn’t that called spinning?
Wonder who the spin doctor was.

RunMummyRun68 Wed 30-May-18 10:38:45

Nah MN doesn't waste time or energy hating them!!

I think we just see through them and they don't like it one little bit!!

They clearly want us falling over ourselves to stroke their egos much like their insta followers so. We don't. So they re-label our calling them out as 'hate' as it's easier and more effective for them

ChardonnaysPrettySister Wed 30-May-18 10:49:49

I don’t hate them. How can I hate or like someone I don’t know?

I hate the endless selling and I hate it when there is no transparency about what is free, what is paid and what is what, generally.

I also find some of their campaigns are badly thought out and badly executed.

One other thing I dislike is the anger in some accounts. I find it staged, unnecessary, and self serving.

So, to recap, I don’t hate them, I hate the way their use of a media makes everything for sale.

TheLadyhasarrived Wed 30-May-18 12:19:59

I certainly don’t hate them and I don’t begrudge them the freebies and holidays etc.

What I do have a problem with is the “women supporting women” #sisterhood nonsense. It’s just vacuous and a way to silence people.
I don’t blindly support everything another woman does, sometimes I disagree with what they are doing. Also sometimes I support men.

And the “if you haven’t got something nice to say, say nothing” is worrying and could be quite dangerous a message to give.

RunMummyRun68 Wed 30-May-18 14:17:02

It's all nuts. Why do they care what MN think anyway?

CadyHeron Wed 30-May-18 14:30:20

I think MN has an unhealthy obsession with parenting influencers rather than influencers in general.
(There's already a lengthy thread on the exact same topic btw)

Boredandtired Wed 30-May-18 14:32:55

Except that the parenting influencers are possibly courting the most controversy by their target groups and use of families... this is mumsnet which is often seen and used as a parenting forum 🙄

jamoncrumpets Wed 30-May-18 14:55:19

Cady There are far far fewer threads on Instagram influencers on here than a great many other topics. It's just a place to discuss them in an unbiased environment.

Ohmydayslove Wed 30-May-18 15:00:25

I literally couldn’t give a single fuck who they are or what they do.

Anyone who thinks they are and refer to themselves as an ‘internet influencer’ is clearly a wanker best ignored.

CadyHeron Wed 30-May-18 15:16:15

jamoncrumpets - fair enough, but you're on the other thread discussing the exact same topic, the exact same points, and set up an identical discussion to discuss the same thing on another thread.
Just seems a bit strange having the same conversation in two simultaneous threads!

jamoncrumpets Wed 30-May-18 15:19:30

The title of this thread is v different Cady

This thread is not accepting new messages.