Talk

Advanced search

To be absolutely raging that women's rights and well-being count for absolutely nothing?

(158 Posts)
Betti935 Sun 14-Jan-18 00:46:15

A woman with mental health issues whose psychosis meant she was terrified that men wanted to kill her was placed on a "women only" secure psychiatric ward with someone who was obviously a biological male.

The NHS Trust seems to have labelled her a bigot and has confirmed that they will continue to let anyone self-identify as whatever gender they want and be housed on the sex-segregated ward of their choice, regardless of the needs of or risks to vulnerable women.

The woman in question has since had a relapse of her condition but hasn't felt able to access medical treatment because of this.

www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/news/terrified-patient-treated-like-transphobic-bigot-bsfsgrv2p

MrsTerryPratchett Sun 14-Jan-18 00:47:57

I am totally confused by this. Gender self-ID isn't a legal thing yet. So how are organizations doing this? Or is it all discretionary?

IrkThePurist Sun 14-Jan-18 00:49:09

Yanbu. I came here to post this. Its disgusting.

IvorHughJarrs Sun 14-Jan-18 00:55:09

Proving, yet again, that, in our society of equal rights, some are more equal than others

BitOfFun Sun 14-Jan-18 00:56:56

The Trust says

“The Equality Act offers guidance about the admission of transgender people to NHS wards and this is something we have also taken legal advice on. This directs that transgender people should be able to self-identify and receive treatment on the ward that is appropriate and in line with that self-identification.”

It's shit, and Ms Molloy is brave to highlight the issue.

MrsTerryPratchett Sun 14-Jan-18 01:02:30

So basically the NHS recognizes that trans people have rights but not women? Is that it?

Betti935 Sun 14-Jan-18 01:03:58

It's shit, and Ms Molloy is brave to highlight the issue.

Yes, I bet she will actually get males threatening to kill her after sticking her head above the parapet like that. sad

BitOfFun Sun 14-Jan-18 01:05:50

I hope not. Never read the comments below the line would be my policy.

Betti935 Sun 14-Jan-18 01:07:06

So basically the NHS recognizes that trans people have rights but not women? Is that it?

I think the quote from the article sums it up:

“Hang on a moment: the rights of someone born male being in front of someone born female — where have you heard that one before?”

ButIamrightright Sun 14-Jan-18 01:07:24

Shit like this makes me so angry, time & time again women’s needs are last.

I would love to wake up on Monday & have a Freaky Friday day but with the sexes so every role, position & job that normally were filled by men were women & vice versa. I’m pretty sure the men wouldn’t stand for it & there would be a revolt.

thatwouldbeanecumenicalmatter Sun 14-Jan-18 01:15:53

Women being shoved back to the bottom of the heap; I can’t help feel that a lot of men would finish that sentence with “where they belong”...

MakeMisogynyAHateCrime Sun 14-Jan-18 01:19:17

YANBU, I dread to think the abuse she will receive from the trans lobby. It will be along the lines of “mental health issues should not be an excuse for transphobia which is literally killing us. Die in a fire TERF.”
That seems to be the line they take on social media.

BitOfFun Sun 14-Jan-18 01:31:03

She deserves our full support, especially as she has been instrumental in the past for standing up for women's rights for appropriate mental health care when closures were threatened.

Scrumplestiltskin Sun 14-Jan-18 03:57:50

I can't access the full article - does anyone have a share token they can post here? smile

ReefAndRiz Sun 14-Jan-18 04:28:55

I wonder what Clive Lewis makes of it? He attacked labour women last night for standing up for women like this.

Purple567895678956789 Sun 14-Jan-18 04:42:16

This is so sad. I can’t imagine the pain of being admitted to a ward where you’re meant to get help and security, time away from society to focus on rehabilitation / adjust to a new routine and life.

And then you are forced to LIVE YOUR TRAUMA again over and over every fucking day by being forced to share with a biological man. It must be terrifying when you think you will be protected and are up against institutionalised barriers and rules like this. Poor poor woman.

Purple567895678956789 Sun 14-Jan-18 04:50:06

@betty i’m confident the men in my life wouldn’t have a death threat reaction about this, but you’re right that the trans lobby would.

Any man who forces his presence on a traumatised patient who doesn’t want / need them around in any shape or form is not a man with any shred of decency.

This whole gender debate is beyond depressing when stories like this come up time and time again.

StepAwayFromGoogle Sun 14-Jan-18 09:12:21

I am getting REALLY f*cked off with this now. This is the third story in about as many weeks about women having their rights completely wiped out by this ridiculous trans law. There will soon be NO safe spaces for vulnerable women. What happens to women who have been abused? In hospital? In refuges? In mental facilities? 'Sorry, love, I know this is the most traumatic thing you could ever go through but you are going to have to let Marjorie over there who is, to all intents and purposes still a man, examine you/stick his hand up your vagina/treat your psychosis because HE identifies as a woman. Screw your rights not to be touched by a man and your terror at having that done to you.' What the f*ck is going on?

SeaWitchly Sun 14-Jan-18 09:12:37

www.gofundme.com/fighting-for-female-representatives

If you are a Labour member [or even if you aren't] and believe in maintaining natal born women shortlists for political representation have a look at the above fundraiser.

Not saying that transmen and women are not deserving of their own representation but not at the expense of women [who are already under represented in the Labour Party... as they are also in the Conservatives].

The gist is that the Labour Party may be acting unlawfully in not requiring that transwomen have the GRA but instead can 'self id' their way on to women's shortlists. This will be challenged via legal process and could be a very important test case in terms of self id.

AstraiaLiberty Sun 14-Jan-18 09:48:04

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

ArbitraryName Sun 14-Jan-18 09:57:32

The problem here isn’t actually the transwoman (who, let’s not forget was a patient on the same ward). It’s the NHS for having stupid policies. Even more so, it’s the staff who, rather than treating their mentally ill patient with dignity and respect, chose to label her as ‘transphobic’ and make her experience and condition worse. Letting identity politics interfere with how you respond to patients is unacceptable.

ClaryFray Sun 14-Jan-18 10:26:00

Unfortunately this is a no fix situation. One group of people are always gonna come say unhappy.

Trans people, should not be able to identify until they are living life as a women. Clothes, hormones, and gender surgery.

Otherwise you could change your gender as you feel fit, daily.

AnachronisticCorpse Sun 14-Jan-18 10:35:41

It’s utterly horrifying. Being in a secure ward is already a terrifying prospect, and the thought that you could be in that confined space with a male just compounds that.

A lot of mental illnesses go hand in hand with a history of abuse, and hyper sexuality is not that uncommon in mania. When you are experiencing paranoid delusions and they put you in a room with an object of that delusion, we’ll, I have no words really. It’s barbaric. And then to be told you are bigoted for complaining.

Wimmin, know your place.

ohreallyohreallyoh Sun 14-Jan-18 10:37:50

Jesus wept. It’s just horrific. Poor woman.

BeeInMyBonnet1985 Sun 14-Jan-18 11:55:14

The thing is, this lady is older, was able to get out of there fairly quickly, and had enough of a grounding in feminist theory to give her the confidence to criticise the situation once she got out. So many women in psychiatric care are either incredibly young or incredibly broken (often both) and lack the confidence to speak out if something makes them uncomfortable. Many of them are in and out of the same units repeatedly, and may be afraid to 'make a fuss' in case they get a reputation as being difficult. Realistically, how many mentally-ill women are going to suffer fear (and likely abuse) in silence? This is one woman reporting, but I'd willingly bet money that she represents hundreds of women that cannot and will not speak out about their experiences.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: