Advanced search

AIBU to rage at knicker gussets - or is it me? (lighthearted!)

(287 Posts)
littlebrownbag Sun 07-Jan-18 17:54:55

First off, by knicker gussets I mean the double fabric bit that covers your under-carriage. And I've always presumed it has the cottony bit to be kind to your delicate areas and catch the odd drop of fanny juice that may leak out.

Well, my anatomy seems to be that anything liquid that you'd want to be caught in your knickers winds its way through all my labia, to exit at the front. This means it misses the gusset and hits the flimsy fabric - so it's visible. Is that just me it happens to? Am I an outlier, or have all knicker manufacturers got womens' anatomy wrong for all this time?

While this has never been a significant problem up to now, aside from careful positioning of sanitary towels during periods, it's now an issue thanks to peri-menopoause causing my fanny to get quite runny. I really don't want to have to wear panty liners every single day (hot and itchy), but I do because otherwise I'll be washing knickers AND trousers every day and I generally get a 2-3 days wear out of my trousers.

Anyone else? blush

MrsZB Sun 07-Jan-18 18:00:02

At the risk of oversharing OP, yes, me too. I'm not yet peri menopausal but with sanitary towels I have to have them positioned way towards the front. I thought it was just me!

OrlandaFuriosa Sun 07-Jan-18 18:01:18

Well well. Me too!

amusedbush Sun 07-Jan-18 18:02:17

My friend and I discussed this recently - definitely not just you!

Namechanged36 Sun 07-Jan-18 18:02:48

And me.

BitchyInnerMonologue Sun 07-Jan-18 18:03:10

Reusuable fabric sanitary towels.

They're a revelation and a god send. Just bung them in the wash like underwear. Not cheap, but solves the issue nicely.

Trafficjammadness Sun 07-Jan-18 18:04:22

Me too, and with pads, very far forward

holightssmolights Sun 07-Jan-18 18:04:26

Me too blush
Always thought I had some kind of squintily, tilted foof!
Am strangely relieved grin

TroysMammy Sun 07-Jan-18 18:04:50

Are you wearing them the right way around? grin

sentenceinterrupted Sun 07-Jan-18 18:05:10

Bingo smile

TheSameCoin Sun 07-Jan-18 18:05:28

Yeah me too. Always had this. I think my labia creates a sort of funnel and completely misses the designated double thickness bit. I need to position both sanitary towels and liners much higher than advertised. It’s annoying.

JohnLapsleyParlabane Sun 07-Jan-18 18:05:38

I have this too. It's a right pain. Have you considered Modern cloth pads are super thin these days and are less sweaty than disposable ones. Or something like these could be an option

Queenofthedrivensnow Sun 07-Jan-18 18:07:11

And me. Bleugh

AtlanticWaves Sun 07-Jan-18 18:09:15

Me too although I've always thought it was the knickers fault.

I now use fabric panty liners - thin, comfy and just like slightly thicker gussets really. I put them in the wash with everything else (in a laundry bag)

toomuchfaster Sun 07-Jan-18 18:10:55

Me too, for years!! Not near the menopause yet so I don't think it's anything to do with that.

ItsAllGoingToBeFine Sun 07-Jan-18 18:11:38

Me too - perhaps the more important question is is there anyone it doesn't happen too?

I suspect gusset positioning was decided by a man...

Scrowy Sun 07-Jan-18 18:16:25

Funnily enough this comes up a lot on mumsnet.

Half the replies say yep I know exactly what you mean.

Half the replies come back saying errrr... what? I always presume this category either have misunderstood the problem or genuinely have barbie sized fanjos.

The overall conclusion usually is that knickers are mainly 'designed' by people that don't have fanjos, and therefore assume a tiny gusset about half the size required covering the bit where they think the 'hole' is is sufficient.

katmarie Sun 07-Jan-18 18:20:33

Me too, I always have to position liners a lot further forward than they're supposed to be. I've always just assumed that it's the result of poor research on the part of the makers. (I also assume that a lot of the researchers are not wearing these things on a regular basis, otherwise they'd just know!)

Sparklingbrook Sun 07-Jan-18 18:21:38

Diary Doll pants would sort your problem in that no liquid would escape.

littlebrownbag Sun 07-Jan-18 18:22:29

Sorry Scrowy, I've not seen it come up before, but I'm so glad it's not just me.

Do we need some kind of MN campaign to let lingerie manufacturers know they've been getting it wrong for 100+years? grin

poorbuthappy Sun 07-Jan-18 18:23:59

Yes me too. And the knickers with very small strips of fabric going from front to back. Not g strings just useless. Can’t even get a pantry liner to adhere correctly.

SeamstressfromTreacleMineRoad Sun 07-Jan-18 18:24:42

One word. Sloggi. Their gussets cover the required area - no others do. Big pants rule smile

PeterIanStaker Sun 07-Jan-18 18:24:43

I'm always way off target too, so I'd assumed I was deformed. Nice to know I'm probably not 😕

BuckingFrolicks2 Sun 07-Jan-18 18:25:00

Oh the relief at realising it isn't just me ...

littlebrownbag Sun 07-Jan-18 18:27:36

Sparklingbrook, I'm not quite at Diary Doll volume just yet. I'm at the (sorry for the squeamish) "morning after sex" amounts of discharge.

All quite natural, I don't like having to use liners to cope with an every day function, but the fabric ones sound interesting - off to google.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now