Talk

Advanced search

.. to use the disabled loo when out with DD

(261 Posts)
Gster Wed 01-Jun-11 11:08:04

I'd bet this has been covered many times, but I'm fairly new.

When I'm out with DD ( 2.5 years ) somewhere like a museum and she needs a pee-pee ( or me ) , I use the disabled loo. I obviously wouldn't venture into the ladies being a bloke, and more often than not the gents are pretty grim.

What do other dads do ?

Or general opinion.

worraliberty Wed 01-Jun-11 11:12:11

I have no problem with it as long as you give the disabled priority.

It seems pointless having an empty toilet standing there if you/your daughter needs it.

On the other hand, if everyone did this...the disabled would have their toilet taken over.

BeerTricksPotter Wed 01-Jun-11 11:12:25

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

StayingDavidTennantsGirl Wed 01-Jun-11 11:12:31

YABU for using the term 'pee-pee wink but in the circumstances, I would understand you chosing to use the disabled loos instead of the Gents. However, you do have the choice, whereas a disabled person may well not have the choice, and you could cause someone distress if they need to use the disabled loo whilst you are using it.

rainbowinthesky Wed 01-Jun-11 11:13:01

Yanbu.

rainbowinthesky Wed 01-Jun-11 11:14:26

Why would having to wait a couple of minutes to use the loo cause distress?

millie30 Wed 01-Jun-11 11:14:34

Many disabled toilets are simply labelled as accessible toilets and also have baby changing facilities in them. I don't think YABU.

BornInAfrica Wed 01-Jun-11 11:16:15

Pee Pee?? Are you serious??

GypsyMoth Wed 01-Jun-11 11:18:44

yabu!!!

bloody hell!! us women have to cart boys into the ladies with us as well you know!!

where do you draw the line?

Gster Wed 01-Jun-11 11:19:12

pee-pee. yes, just grown used to using it now. although I don't say 'ka-ka-poo' too much except with dd.

Gster Wed 01-Jun-11 11:20:26

Tiffany

the difference is I think that the gents are usually somewhat less inviting than the ladies. At least from my limited experience.

GypsyMoth Wed 01-Jun-11 11:22:57

ladies toilets are also grim a lot of the time

and if men (who presumably make the mens toilets so 'grim') all use the disabled if out with a child,then the disabled toilets will quickly end up in a bad state too....yabu!!

LadyBeagleEyes Wed 01-Jun-11 11:23:18

I don't know what your alternative would be.
You can't really take her into the mens or the ladies.
So I don't think you're BU in your particular situation.

bupcakesandcunting Wed 01-Jun-11 11:24:03

Oh em gee, Ginster. Prepare for the onslaught, m'love. wink

GypsyMoth Wed 01-Jun-11 11:24:27

at what age are us mums expected to send our sons into this grim environment then?

i'm lone parent....3 boys.....12.8,3.

can my 12 year old use the disabled toilet too then?

rainbowinthesky Wed 01-Jun-11 11:25:35

His dd is 2.5, hardly 12...

Shoesytwoesy Wed 01-Jun-11 11:26:03

yanbu
as long as you don't brag about it.

GypsyMoth Wed 01-Jun-11 11:26:57

why is age any different tho??hmm

he can at least carry her in

millie30 Wed 01-Jun-11 11:27:39

Actually I kind of understand Tiffany's point. I take my DS into the ladies with me, and some pretty grim ones at that. Are men's toilets really so awful that your DD can't be in one for 5 minutes?

Selks Wed 01-Jun-11 11:28:16

YANBU

I don't see any 'bragging', just someone asking.

MmeLindor. Wed 01-Jun-11 11:29:04

Yes, this has been covered a few hundred times and it always ends in a massive bunfight

My DD is now 9yo and my DH always took her into the Gents. Once she was old enough to go herself, she started going to the Ladies alone.

Gents loos may be grim, but Ladies loos can be too. We live in Switzerland, near the French border and I cannot begin to describe the grim-ness of some public loos here.

Teach her to wash her hands thoroughly after going to the loo and be done with it.

StayingDavidTennantsGirl Wed 01-Jun-11 11:31:47

Rainbowinthesky - disabled people may have continence problems, and find waiting to use the disabled loo very difficult - when they need to go, they need to go, iyswim. Or a parent might need to use the disabled loo to change a (larger) disabled child who had soiled or wet themselves, and making them wait might also be distressing for the child.

LadyBeagleEyes Wed 01-Jun-11 11:32:11

I don't know, I think it's because the men's toilets have public urinals that would make me a bit uncomfortable.
I would have no problem with a man taking a little girl into the ladies though, but I don't know how other women would feel about that.

Gster Wed 01-Jun-11 11:33:22

bupcake.. ( I'm just after a morning spanking, but ssshhh don't tell anyone )

wink

rainbowinthesky Wed 01-Jun-11 11:34:54

But there could be someone with a disability using it so they might have to wait anyway. It takes time to get to the toilet so there will always be an element of waiting.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: