Talk

Advanced search

I am MORTIFIED

(163 Posts)
Jammiebammie Tue 02-Oct-18 16:56:42

Hurrying to get ready this morning and trying to quickly slap on some make up - couldn’t find a bobble so just grabbed a pair of thongs from my (clean) washing pile to tie my hair up.
Dd was being really difficult so abandoned the make up idea and just hurried and left.

Went to the school and had a meeting with a couple of teachers re dd. Then went to a hospital appointment for dd, and to a cafe afterwards.
Home now, and dd1 walked in and said ‘haaa, mum, why do you have knickers in your hair’
Yup - that’s right. I’ve had the thongs tying my hair up ALL FRIGGIN DAY!!! And dd1 is laughing her head off at me.

Why did nobody tell me?? I know the receptionist, the teachers, the consultants and nobody said a bloody word. 2 women were giving me funny looks in the cafe but as dd has a noticeable disability I presumed they were staring at her and gave them a well practised ‘dont stare at my daughter’ look back.

Oh my god I want the ground to swallow me up. They weren’t even nice thongs - greying, lacey primark ones with all the elastic bits poking out. Dd said they were glaringly obvious.

Would you have said anything? Shall I say anything to the consultants when we’re back on Thursday, so they don’t think I’ve lost my marbles??! Oh no... I might just move countries instead.

Please help me to feel better and tell me you’ve done something similar. Off to crawl under a rock now...

Jammiebammie Tue 02-Oct-18 16:57:08

...aaand my name change didn’t work blush

Reaa Tue 02-Oct-18 16:57:58

At least they were clean

RefuseTheLies Tue 02-Oct-18 16:59:31

I’m trying to imagine me grabbing my size 24 maternity pants (which I’m still wearing even though my kid is nearly three) to tie my hair up grin

Jammiebammie Tue 02-Oct-18 17:01:06

Thank lord they were clean (felt I had to specify that in my post!)

refuse grin I did have to wrap them round a few times to be fair!

Turfaccountant Tue 02-Oct-18 17:01:15

I once went on a long dog walk. Bumped into a friend I hadn't seen in ages, had a good chat. It was only as we were heading home my DH noticed I had on odd shoes. Not just any old odd shoes but one black boot and one shimmering gold fit flop laced trainer. Have you ever tried to walk 4 miles home whilst trying hide your feet. O still go a bit puce when I think about It

Clawdy Tue 02-Oct-18 17:02:01

I would probably have thought "Ooh, that hair thing looks a bit like a thong! But it can't be." So most people you saw will assume it's a new sort of hair accessory! Try and forget it.

Jammiebammie Tue 02-Oct-18 17:02:17

Turf that’s brilliant grin

BitOutOfPractice Tue 02-Oct-18 17:02:17

Oh lord that’s made me laugh. Sorry OP.

I actually think I would’ve said something to be honest.

SongforSal Tue 02-Oct-18 17:02:40

Oh crap. I'm mortified for you! If it makes you feel any better, I walked across my office floor a few weeks back with my dress tucked in my thong. I literally moonied the entire office.

Lavalamped Tue 02-Oct-18 17:02:59

grin I sometimes tie my hair up with my big granny pants, and have a fear of leaving them in by accident grin

Jammiebammie Tue 02-Oct-18 17:03:39

I don’t think it looked like a hair accessory... dd says the primark label was sticking out the side of the gusset blush

Lavalamped Tue 02-Oct-18 17:04:01

I wouldn't have said anything to a stranger if I saw them with thong bobbles, I'd be worried to in case it was the look you were going for wink

owabno Tue 02-Oct-18 17:05:49

Haha! I'm sorry OP but this is brilliant grin

mimibunz Tue 02-Oct-18 17:06:21

Thanks for the laugh! 😀 FWIW, my hair has figuratively been tied up with my knickers all day!

ScienceIsTruth Tue 02-Oct-18 17:06:26

That doesn't make sense.

You took a pair of thongs from the clean laundry pile to use to tie your hair up, but are then embarrassed that no one told you you were wearing them in your hair???

Did you mean to take them out before you left the house, and forgot?

Otherwise, I don't see the problem. You knowingly put them in your hair and then went out with them still in??

Jammiebammie Tue 02-Oct-18 17:09:42

sciencel Yes I forgot they were there! Meant to be a temporary measure whilst doing my make up, was in a stress dealing with dd so left the house quickly without taking them out.

songforsal yours would actually have been more embarrassing! Unless you have a fantastic arse wink

Fiffyshadesofgreymatter Tue 02-Oct-18 17:09:44

@ScienceIsTruth

She was only going to use them to keep her hair out of her face while doing her make up. She didn't choose them for her hair style that day!

Fiffyshadesofgreymatter Tue 02-Oct-18 17:11:43

I can't believe they didn't tell you! I worked In a shop at uni and a customer who I had just served turned to leave, and she had pants stuck to her jumper (maybe a dryer mishap) and I ran out and stopped her and told her@ it's embarrassing for a second, but then they're gone and safe for the day.

Why would no one tell you!! I'm so sorry OP! Next time you see the receptionist and those teachers, bring it up and make a joke out of It!

formerbabe Tue 02-Oct-18 17:13:20

I do this all the time op!

IamaBluebird Tue 02-Oct-18 17:14:16

I've tied my hair up with a sock with noddy on and forgotten. You are not alone Op .grin

Jammiebammie Tue 02-Oct-18 17:16:26

Oh so glad I’m not alone, think I would rather it was a noddy sock though.
So glad some of you would have said, I think I would have too!

TheCrowFromBelow Tue 02-Oct-18 17:18:05

grin
I bet most of them didn’t notice.
Except the cafe women.

Thank you for sharing 😂

Jammiebammie Tue 02-Oct-18 17:19:08

Maybe the cafe women were mnetters and I put them off approaching me with my mean face 😳

Cardiganandcuppa Tue 02-Oct-18 17:22:05

It has literally never occurred to me to tie my hair up with my pants!!
Sorry OP. You made me laugh though smile

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »