Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Boris Johnson just stated that biology dictates what is a man / woman

NoWordForFluffy · 23/03/2022 12:39

Just now on PMQs.

Has he ever come out and said that before?

OP's posts:
Please
or

Lottapianos · 23/03/2022 12:44

Jesus. First time I've felt anything vaguely approaching admiration for Johnson. The most appalling people are on the side of sanity with this issue

Please
or

Quitso · 23/03/2022 12:45

What was the context? (I mean I don't disagree but ...)

Please
or

tabbycatstripy · 23/03/2022 12:47

And I will vote for the Tories for this reason. I put rationality above nearly everything else because it affects everything else.

Please
or

Noisyprat · 23/03/2022 12:47

I've heard Boris Johnson say lots of things and it is great that he is saying, what we know to be correct, out loud. When is says trans women are not women and it is clear in law then I will believe the Tories are on board with this.

We must not forget that men are still being put in women's prisons, welcomed into women's refuges, more transwomen are being seen in top level women's sport etc. It is not good enough to say 'the exemption in the EA is there for this because it's not clear enough and organisations are scared to use it. Until I see some concrete action and policy on this I will remain sceptical. BJ will say anything to get votes and remember Labour are being hammered on this.

Please
or

MarshaBradyo · 23/03/2022 12:47

Good

Please
or

Talipesmum · 23/03/2022 12:48

Got to say, though I also think this is true, it is not at all helpful to have boris saying it too cos (a) him saying something has no bearing whatsoever on whether he actually believes it or not, and (2) is he saying this cos he’s hideously conservative and wants women to stay in their place, as opposed to thinking women can and should do or think whatever they like, with their only thing in common their biology?

Please
or

ferretface · 23/03/2022 12:48

Here's a screenshot

Boris Johnson just stated that biology dictates what is a man / woman
Please
or

Beowulfa · 23/03/2022 12:50

If only Labour could have read the room on this, we'd have a proper opposition.

Please
or

HotPenguin · 23/03/2022 12:51

I'm glad he's said this because whatever you think of him he is the most important person in the country. Up til know it's just been JK Rowling and some unknown feminists who've dared to say it.

Please
or

Theeyeballsinthefuckingsky · 23/03/2022 12:53

I loathe the man with a passion & I know full well he’s only commenting like this because he knows Labour are making themselves look like tits on this issue

It’s purely electoral politics

How can Labour not see they are loading up the ammunition and firing a gun in their own face over this? Absolute idiots

Please
or

TheLeadbetterLife · 23/03/2022 12:54

Oh god. I mean, he's right of course, but it's so obvious that he is cynically using this as a wedge issue, the way the US Republicans have over abortion for decades.

The cultural divides rabbit hole can't, in the long run, lead anywhere good for UK politics. The Republicans use this stuff as a way to get people to vote against their own interests. What a fucking mess everything is.

Please
or

EatSleepReplete · 23/03/2022 12:55

Oh bloody hell. Bloody Labour party. I so don't want to vote Tory but I'm inching towards it.

Please
or

justaftb · 23/03/2022 12:56

Ah, comments already describing his answer is designed to "dogwhistle 'gender critical' feminists".

@Andrew - could you clarify, please? It looks like Richardson is asking about girls' mental health, while Johnson answers with something that's about trans women and/or designed to dogwhistle 'gender critical' feminists.

To think I passionately supported The Guardian for years, as well as the Labour Party.

Please
or

RussianSpy101 · 23/03/2022 12:57

@tabbycatstripy me too! I genuinely don’t think there’s another option other than conservative, but I would vote for them anyway.

Please
or

Greencoatblue · 23/03/2022 12:58

Of course Boris knows what a woman is, he's had enough of them!

Please
or

CanIPleaseHaveOne · 23/03/2022 12:59

We live in tragic times if that statement is one of hope and makes a headline.

How the hell did we get to this point?

Please
or

MrsOvertonsWindow · 23/03/2022 13:01

How depressing to be faced with a choice between the Conservatives with all the shambles that they've inflicted on the country and a Labour party arguing that male born rapists should be in women's prisons, that men magically become women by uttering magic words, that women's sport must include born males and completely ignoring the tragedy of what's happening to so many vulnerable children.

What a bloody shitshow

Please
or

Thingybob · 23/03/2022 13:01

You can see the full question and answer here

Rewind about 25 mins
Please
or

tabbycatstripy · 23/03/2022 13:03

'Of course Boris knows what a woman is, he's had enough of them!'

Boris has no trouble locating the women.

Please
or

MarshaBradyo · 23/03/2022 13:03

@CanIPleaseHaveOne

We live in tragic times if that statement is one of hope and makes a headline.

How the hell did we get to this point?

It’s madness. But if the tide doesn’t turn we’ll be even more stuffed.
Please
or

Thingybob · 23/03/2022 13:05

Thank-you Angela Richardson for asking the question and getting Boris to agree meeting with you

Please
or

Whatinthelord · 23/03/2022 13:07

Urgh I’m glad it’s be said….but I wish it was someone else saying it.

Please
or

Georgeskitchen · 23/03/2022 13:09

So you're all decrying the Labour MPs for saying TWAW, men have cervixes, etc, BoJo gives the answer you are looking for and your STILL not happy
What exactly the f**k is it that you all actually want?

Please
or

tabbycatstripy · 23/03/2022 13:11

'BoJo gives the answer you are looking for and your STILL not happy
What exactly the f**k is it that you all actually want?'

Policies that match this correct statement that biology is 'overwhelmingly important'.

Please
or

Narutocrazyfox · 23/03/2022 13:14

@MrsOvertonsWindow

How depressing to be faced with a choice between the Conservatives with all the shambles that they've inflicted on the country and a Labour party arguing that male born rapists should be in women's prisons, that men magically become women by uttering magic words, that women's sport must include born males and completely ignoring the tragedy of what's happening to so many vulnerable children.

What a bloody shitshow

Couldn't agree more. But what really grinds my gears is that I don't believe the Labour Party actually believe the nonsense they're spreading - they're just too cowardly (or too scared of being attacked on twitter) to state the truth!!!
Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.