Threads

See more results

Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Asda partners with Diversity Role Models and gets angry response to "love has no age limit" message [Edited by MNHQ at OP'S REQUEST]

stumbledin · 19/06/2020 19:03

"Asda teamed up with partner charity Diversity Role Models to create a home learning pack for primary school children for ages three to 11, which was sent out to Asda customers and includes the controversial phrase in a section on challenging racism.

In an email sent out on Sunday afternoon from the store's clothing department George, it said: "We've partnered with Diversity Role Models because we believe in a world where everyone embraces diversity and can thrive.

"By teaching empathy, understanding and how to be a good ally to the LGBT+ community, we hope to eliminate homophobic, biphobic and transphobic bullying and language from the classroom for good."

But a section on the primary school pack has drawn fierce criticism online from concerned parents who claim promoting discussion of "love has no age limit" may be advocating underage sex."

www.dailystar.co.uk/news/latest-news/asda-sparks-furious-paedo-backlash-22201608

A letter to Asda regarding their ‘home learning’ packs - Safe Schools Alliance safeschoolsallianceuk.net/2020/06/18/a-letter-to-asda-regarding-their-home-learning-packs/

OP's posts:
Please
or

skql · 19/06/2020 19:05

well...most oppressed one is...

Please
or
Please
or

stumbledin · 19/06/2020 19:07

Sorry have made terrible type and heading should say "love" not "lover". Have asked MNHQ to change. Blush

OP's posts:
Please
or

Thinkingabout1t · 19/06/2020 19:08

Jesus wept! A recommended book called ‘Beyond Magenta: Transgender Teens Speak Out’, which contains a first-person account of performing oral sex at age six, with no suggestion that there was anything wrong with this.

WTAF???

No wonder they creepily tell the kids "Love has no age limit"!

Please
or

TheShoesa · 19/06/2020 19:10

Baroness Nicholson has sent them a scorching letter:

twitter.com/baroness_nichol/status/1274009527394983936?s=21

Please
or

TheProdigalKittensReturn · 19/06/2020 19:13

The Baroness is in full how fucking dare they mode and I love it.

Please
or

LouHotel · 19/06/2020 19:22

This is going to a part 2 on AIBU.

I've sent this to my parent network of friends including some school governors.

Please
or

HermioneWeasley · 19/06/2020 19:24

I don’t understand why Asda have presumed to get involved in education - they know nothing about it (evidently). It’s bizarre

Please
or

stumbledin · 19/06/2020 19:33

Hadn't realised and AIBU but deserves to be publicised as much as possible. Just shocking.

OP's posts:
Please
or

OhHolyJesus · 19/06/2020 19:44

The Baroness is in full how fucking dare they mode and I love it.

I adore her and my love for her is never ending.

Please
or

Dicotyledon · 19/06/2020 19:45

So glad the Baroness is taking this on. What has the world come to?

Please
or

BaronessSnippyPantsofCroneArmy · 19/06/2020 19:47

Alison Moyet and Clare Balding are two of the numerous patrons of Diversity Role Models. Can't imagine they would want to be associated with this.

Please
or

HandsOffMyRights · 19/06/2020 19:56

Diversity Role Models.

They've infiltrated my son's school. They've tweeted about male strippers among all their school stuff and one of the 'leaders' who identifies as female shared their pic on social media. The image summed up for me why no adult - let alone my son's school - should allow this group near minors.

You can delete my post MN, but this group terrifies me as a parent.

The fact that Asda are buying this is equally terrifying.

Please
or

DuDuDuLangaLangaBingBong · 19/06/2020 19:59

Please
or

HandsOffMyRights · 19/06/2020 20:01

I don't care if this is ' a bit of fun'. It's not appropriate for a schools group. The emphasis on 'hump' gives me the creeps.

Asda partners with Diversity Role Models and gets angry response to "love has no age limit" message [Edited by MNHQ at OP'S REQUEST]
Please
or

HandsOffMyRights · 19/06/2020 20:12

Please
or

FlippinFumin · 19/06/2020 21:22

Am I just reading right wing propaganda here? My son says I am. Please break this down for me. Every link I show him he says is perfectly innocent. Where exactly is the ‘love has no age limit’ quote? And the book with the story about the 6 year old. He is making me feel stupid and I struggle to be coherent when he is shouting me down and calling me a bigot. He says I am saying being gay is akin to paedophilia. FFS I campaigned against section 28. I have never been a bigot.

Please
or

NotTerfNorCis · 19/06/2020 21:25

A recommended book called ‘Beyond Magenta: Transgender Teens Speak Out’, which contains a first-person account of performing oral sex at age six, with no suggestion that there was anything wrong with this.

And they say there's no overlap between genderism and child abuse...

Please
or

MrsWooster · 19/06/2020 21:27

Flippin
The quote, in context, is about an older couple-so far so good. It's also used, away from the picture to which it's a caption, as a suggestion for an appropriate slogan for a kids poster on relationships... the child sexual abuse reference to fellatio is in a book on the DRM reading list, mentioned upthread, rather than in the specific materials in this pack. Not rightwing!

Please
or

digbee · 19/06/2020 21:28

Please
or

FlippinFumin · 19/06/2020 21:29

Thank you Mrs Wooster. Although he has now said not to talk to him about it again.

Please
or

Ninkanink · 19/06/2020 21:37

@Flipping read the much longer thread on this topic linked to above - it will help a lot in getting your arguments straight.

Please
or

Ninkanink · 19/06/2020 21:40

Your son should read it too. It sounds like he’s caught the woke in a bad way.

Please
or

SunsetBeetch · 19/06/2020 21:49

That's totally inappropriate Hands off

They don't have a clue about safeguarding, do they? Shock

Please
or

Tanith · 19/06/2020 22:45

FlippinFumin

What's being gay got to do with anything? This is a safeguarding issue and the concerns are about paedophiles. No mention of being gay anywhere that I can see.
Sounds like he's the bigot!

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?