Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Bridesmaid wearing a watch?!

Serenitymummy · 21/08/2018 22:00

This isn’t me but someone I know - was a bridesmaid to a good friend, she was hers a few years ago. Bridezilla (I’ve decided) asked all bridesmaids to take off their watches ‘so they don’t ruin the photos’.

My friend bridesmaid forgot, bridezilla now going mental at her. To the point the friendship might be over. AIBU to think bride is going way ott with this?!

OP's posts:
Please
or

Aeroflotgirl · 23/08/2018 07:49

The bridge sounds unhinged. Nowadays a photographer woukd be able to edit out the watch. Shows tgat she did not value the friendship, if she is prepared to loose a friend over much minor detail.

Please
or

BalloonSlayer · 23/08/2018 07:55

I notice you say that you wear a Rolex on a daily basis, rather than just a watch .

Oh come on, Grin someone upthread said they borrowed a Rolex for their wedding day.

Please
or

WilburIsSomePig · 23/08/2018 08:02

I know @BalloonSlayer, I was being a bit of a twat.

Sorry @ivgotasecretcanyoukeepit WineSmile

Please
or

Gromance02 · 23/08/2018 09:40

I imagine the ones spending large amounts on weddings aren’t the same ones who can’t afford house deposits.
We could afford both
I assume c£50k is fuck all to you then as that is the average house deposit? As you are.

Please
or

iamapixiebutnotaniceone · 23/08/2018 21:51

Was it a baby g watch? I'd probably disown a friend for that 😂

Please
or

Meowandthen · 23/08/2018 22:52

How utterly ridiculous! As is spending hundreds of hours and vast amounts of money on one day. When the focus is solely on a wedding day rather than a married life priorities are wrong. No one else cares about this shit at your wedding anyway.

Some posters also have some misguided ideas about photoshopping and editing. It takes time and skil to remove something from a photo as something has to be put in its place, even if skin. It certainly isn’t a 30 second job.

Please
or

bluebellsparklypants · 23/08/2018 23:06

Really wow can't imagine getting so worked up over this, it might be her wedding day but you can't micro mange your friends like that surely

Please
or

SheWoreBlueVelvet · 24/08/2018 00:57

Well define mircio managing. As a bridesmaid you've been told what you need to do say and wear to some extent. How is being told not to wear a watch any worse then " you have to wear flowers in your in hair" or " I want you all to wear these earrings"?
As for "guests don't care about this shit" I would agree.But others wouldn't. I heard and saw lots of comments about Megan Markle having hair hanging down in both real life and on MN, which personally, I didn't even even register. Everybody has their own "perfect".
Maybe this bride has flipped her lid on watches ( which she has asked them not to wear) but didn't give two shits about flowers or shoes or the cake or whatever.

Please
or

chardonm · 24/08/2018 01:00

It's true that watches with formal wear do look ugly. But to ruin a friendship over this? Mental.

Please
or

chardonm · 24/08/2018 01:03

To be honest I think at this point people should just hire models as bridesmaids since friendships are apparently not important anymore, it's all about the esthetics.

Please
or

MissLingoss · 24/08/2018 01:17

Fake tans and guests not allowed to wear glasses? What next, bride's father told he must get a hairpiece to cover his bald spot if he wants to walk his daughter down the aisle, and grandma told to lose the walking stick for the photos?

Please
or

gingergenius · 24/08/2018 01:31

I've photographed over 300 weddings and I can tell you that getting worked up over a bridesmaid wearing a watch is not something I've ever come across. Like EVER

Please
or

Doobigetta · 24/08/2018 10:24

I think it’s perfectly fine for a bride to ask a bridesmaid not to wear jewellery that doesn’t work with the bridesmaid’s dress, or to take a watch off for the photos, and it would be unreasonable of the bridesmaid to take offence. But if neither the bride nor the photographer noticed the bloody watch at the time, it clearly isn’t that big a deal.

Please
or

TheFaerieQueene · 24/08/2018 10:36

I just don’t get all the nonsense about wedding photos. You look at them a couple of times, put a couple of photos in a frame and the album goes in a cupboard to gather dust. I can’t remember the last time I looked at mine.

Please
or

LondonJax · 26/08/2018 15:27

I wore a watch on my wedding day. I've worn a watch every day of my life since I was 9. I have a delicate silvery 'dress' watch (I suppose you'd call it) which I bought to go to a Millennium Ball so I guessed if it was OK for that it was OK for a wedding!

I can't honestly tell you if my bridemaids were wearing watches or bracelets - I was having a wonderful day and didn't pay any attention to other peoples clothes.

Some people make hard work for themselves over things that no-one else ever notices nor cares about.

Please
or

jksniper · 26/08/2018 23:37

Well I can see how it might be annoying if you set out a particular theme but it doesn't quite turn out the way you want but there was no reason to go berserk over it. Just a polite request to remove the watch would be sensible unless the bridesmaid refused to take it off. What seems like a very small thing would ruin the theme of the photos and to have every damn photo it's in Photoshop is a very time consuming work if there's hundreds of photos to go over and pricy for the clients to have the photographer's spend their time to edit it out.

Perhaps better explanation on the part of the bride and more understanding of the bridesmaid should've been the sensible thing here.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.