Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Bridesmaid wearing a watch?!

Serenitymummy · 21/08/2018 22:00

This isn’t me but someone I know - was a bridesmaid to a good friend, she was hers a few years ago. Bridezilla (I’ve decided) asked all bridesmaids to take off their watches ‘so they don’t ruin the photos’.

My friend bridesmaid forgot, bridezilla now going mental at her. To the point the friendship might be over. AIBU to think bride is going way ott with this?!

OP's posts:
Please
or

thecatsthecats · 22/08/2018 15:29

I'm not a habitual watch wearer, and to be honest, I'd never choose to wear one with formal wear, even a dress watch.

I wouldn't throw a fit over it, but my bridesmaids are all being perfectly sensible and asking what I'd like them to wear. When I was a bridesmaid I brought my jewellery collection and asked my sister what she'd like me to wear and shared the rest with the other bridesmaids. I don't think having a preference is zilla-y.

(FYI, paying for bridesmaids hair, accomodation, outfits and free bar for whole event - think I'm firmly in non-zilla territory, but equally am grateful that my bridesmaids always acknowledge that my preference comes first - even if they struggle to get me to express one!)

Please
or

Planesmistakenforstars · 22/08/2018 15:31

Is it only women's usual watches that are considered unsightly at weddings?

Please
or

sweettutu · 22/08/2018 15:33

pps saying watches are unsightly?! ... er they're not? baffling. bridezilla sounds mental, if she's willing to chuck a friendship over this then let her. bellend.

Please
or

thecatsthecats · 22/08/2018 16:06

Since you ask, yeah. Or, more specifically, regardless of the gender of a person wearing a formal gown, a watch looks odd to me with one, in a way it does not with typical male formal attire, mostly because a watch is hidden in those by sleeves.

Please
or

roundturnandtwohalfhitches · 22/08/2018 16:11

A watch is there to tell the time. Are women not permitted to able to tell the time now because they are wearing a frock? Whole thing's mad. I imagine her on her deathbed examining her wedding photos and her last words being - 'That bitch wore a fucking watch'.

Please
or

QueenCity · 22/08/2018 16:12

@ShakespearesSisters If I'd been invited to a wedding and told I wasn't allowed to wear glasses I would go out and find the biggest, most garish pair of glasses I could and wear them proudly!!

Please
or

PlatypusPie · 22/08/2018 16:34

Is this aversion to women wearing watches because it is less common now that people know exactly what the time is because they are browsing their phones constantly? Maybe in the days when everyone wore watches as a matter of course ( a reliable watch given when you started secondary school, a good watch given as an 18th or 21st present) they became part of the expected dress of an adult and you didnt really notice them. In fact, being watchless looked a bit underdressed ?

I think of my watch as a piece of jewellery as well as a practical item and certainly wear it with formal attire, just as others may wear a bracelet.

Please
or

Bella898 · 22/08/2018 16:36

What an absolute idiot. A girl i know was told she had to get fake tan as she's "too pale"

Please
or

thecatsthecats · 22/08/2018 16:39

round - I think in my head it's the functionality of the thing that kills it as suitable formal wear.

In a 'one's butler is there to tell you the time' kind of way?! Or a 'you're there to have fun, not clock watch' kind of way. Or 'the grandfather clock in the ballroom will chime the hour for you'.

A watch just seems jarring to me, and that's vaguely the reason why.

Please
or

MrsBartlettforthewin · 22/08/2018 16:42

This is bonkers. As a bride I wore a watch. It was a very delicate one that DH has bought for my 21st birthday.

Why would anyone notice or care that a BM was wearing a watch? Unless the bride points it out to everyone seriously no one will notice or care

Please
or

SillySallySingsSongs · 22/08/2018 16:45

My DSD wore one that she had been given last year for my SIL wedding a month ago. No one batted an eyelid.

Please
or

lalafafa · 22/08/2018 16:45

sunglasses look far worse IMO

Please
or

scarbados · 22/08/2018 17:23

I refused to be MOH for a bride who demanded I'd have to take my glasses off for the wedding. I'd need a sonar system to function without them and can't wear contacts but she'd apparently have preferred me to trip over the little bridesmaids and look lost and confused on the photos than have them 'ruined' by me being able to see.

Sadly she only made the demand the day before the wedding but ... not my problem, love.

Please
or

WilburIsSomePig · 22/08/2018 18:37

I wear a Rolex on a daily basis but I certainly didnt want it in my wedding photographs.

Grin I notice you say that you wear a Rolex on a daily basis, rather than just a watch ...

Every day I'm staggered by the ridiculous little things that seem to bother some people. I wanted my bridesmaids to feel comfortable on my wedding day, if wearing a watch was part of that then fine. I actually couldn't tell you if any of mine wore theirs or not. I must check if my photos are 'unsightly' or not.

Please
or

croprotationinthe13thcentury · 22/08/2018 21:40

They are all appearances struggling. And the thing is, nobody and I mean NOBODY gives a fuck after a few days. Any bride who acts like this is a cunt, end of 😃

Please
or

TuMeke · 22/08/2018 21:58

Unless the BM was doing a full on Flavor Flav, I really don’t get the bride’s issue.

Please
or

BabySharkDooDooDooDoo · 22/08/2018 22:03

I cant see what the bride is taking issue at...

Please
or

Ivgotasecretcanyoukeepit · 22/08/2018 22:17

Wilbur it was in response to someone who said they wore a Rolex on their wedding day.

Please
or

BewareOfDragons · 22/08/2018 23:14

Anyone who would end a friendship over something like this is a shit friend and has their priorities all fucked up.

Her BM was there for her! She loved her enough to be their for her. And as a thank you, she's getting bollocked for wearing a watch in the pictures? Mad.

I'd tell the bride to FOATFOSM.

Please
or

Donthugmeimscared · 23/08/2018 00:03

I was told not to get my hair cut sort and I wasn't even a bridesmaid. Some people become really odd when it comes to weddings.

Please
or

Maelstrop · 23/08/2018 00:08

Mine’s a knacking great purple Ice watch, so I kind of understand. It’s a hunk of plastic, very noticeable. I’d be pissed off to see that in wedding photos!

Please
or

itswinetime · 23/08/2018 00:29

Some watches are ugly particularly any of the I watch/Fitbit type. So I can kind of see saying no watches but if someone wants to end a friendship over a genuine mistake then I would question how close a friendship it really was!

I would advise your friend step back and have a think about things I imagine if she does she may well decide this is the tip of the iceberg!

Please
or

1forAll74 · 23/08/2018 03:21

The most ridiculous thing I have ever heard of. The mind boggles with all the rules at modern weddings.

Please
or

Gaspodethetalkingdog · 23/08/2018 07:13

We are always being told how young people cannot afford houses/flats - perhaps using the huge amounts spent on stupidly huge weddings would be better spent on a property deposit?

We are told that older people ‘had it easy’ when it came to buying property - but most of us did not spend the equivalent of £30,000 on a wedding

Please
or

SoyDora · 23/08/2018 07:16

I imagine the ones spending large amounts on weddings aren’t the same ones who can’t afford house deposits.
We could afford both.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.