Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Bridesmaid wearing a watch?!

Serenitymummy · 21/08/2018 22:00

This isn’t me but someone I know - was a bridesmaid to a good friend, she was hers a few years ago. Bridezilla (I’ve decided) asked all bridesmaids to take off their watches ‘so they don’t ruin the photos’.

My friend bridesmaid forgot, bridezilla now going mental at her. To the point the friendship might be over. AIBU to think bride is going way ott with this?!

OP's posts:
Please
or

londonrach · 21/08/2018 22:37

Honestly if thats all the bride has to worry about i feel sorry for her. Very sad woman. Yanbu. Ott and strange.

Please
or

sockunicorn · 21/08/2018 22:37

i do agree that watches would look out of place and unsightly, but i can see both sides. The bridesmaid should have just done what the bride asked (its her day and, i presume, shes paid for the bridesmaids dress etc). However I think theres better ways to deal with it than go nuts! I would just photoshop it out.

Having been a bridesmaid 3 times I have always just shown up with no jewellery and done as the bride says. Its her day and I wanted everything to be (her view of) perfect.

Please
or

SchadenfreudePersonified · 21/08/2018 22:37

Watches are unsightly - but it's not global thermonuclear war ffs!

Get it airbrushed out if it upsets the mad bat so much. Not worth ruining a friendship over.

My watch is something I am so used to that I don't even think about it - I would probably have forgotten about it, too.

Please
or

AnnieTheAlpaca · 21/08/2018 22:38

I get asking bridesmaids to wear certain jewellery. Watches can look clunky and not very delicate with pretty bridesmaid dresses.

But of course she is being over the top by having a go and the offending bridesmaid and threatening to defriend her. I don't know why anyone would be 'friends' with someone like that.

Please
or

FlotSHAMnJetson · 21/08/2018 22:38

The massive white tan line on my arm would look worse than a watch!

Please
or

AlexaAmbidextra · 21/08/2018 22:39

Mimsy. If you were the bride, who ordered you to remove your watch?

Please
or

GinnyWreckin · 21/08/2018 22:39

Time’s up on that marriage if the bride is so crazy as to give two hoots what a BM with little kids had on her wrist.

imo here is an inverse function between cost of the wedding+ uptightness /craziness of the wedding couple and length of marriage. The crazier they are, the shorter it will last.
They just burn out on crazy juice.

Please
or

OnTopOfSpaghetti · 21/08/2018 22:41

I'm now trying to remember if I wore my watch on my wedding day... I'll have to dig out the photos as it was 20 yrs ago! Can't imagine I was particularly bothered, but then weddings do seem to get a bit out of hand these days

Please
or

NadiaLeon · 21/08/2018 22:42

That bride will be on the relationships thread soon moaning that her husband is having affair....

Please
or

SimonBridges · 21/08/2018 22:42

I agree that it is a little unsightly but are the bride and groom any less married? Will their marriage be ruined? Will divorce be on the cards because one woman forgot to take her watch off?

Please
or

Clairetree1 · 21/08/2018 22:45

utterly bizarre

Please
or

Ohyesiam · 21/08/2018 22:46

Watches on wedding pics are very unsightly? ?
Wt actual f?

1. Weddings are a celebration of two people intending to spend their lives together, how the Fuck can a watch in a photo be important ?
  2. Very unsightly? In nursing I saw a few things that were very unsightly, exploded colostomy bags, gangrene, supurating abcesses.
    But a timepiece? Come on now people, get a LIFE.
Please
or

LRDtheFeministDragon · 21/08/2018 22:47

How weird.

I am trying to picture this watch that's 'unsightly' enough to catch anyone's attention. Are we talking lime-green plastic numbers?

I haven't worn a wrist watch for over 20 years but I have never noticed whether or not other people wear them, and certainly not in photos.

Please
or

rainbowsandsmiles · 21/08/2018 22:47

Going batshit over a watch?! Jeez. Can not even tell you if mine wore watches, it seriously isn't on any normal person's radar!

Please
or

Parker231 · 21/08/2018 22:48

Why does it matter if the bride or bridesmaids wear a watch? Do some people really worry about things like that ?

Please
or

FrancisCrawford · 21/08/2018 22:50

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Please
or

dinosaurkisses · 21/08/2018 22:51

I can kiiiiiiiind of see where the bride is coming from, even if I don’t agree with her reaction.

Planning a wedding in the age of Facebook, Instagram and Pinterest can totally take over your life. A bride can spent hundreds, if not thousands of hours over a year or two thinking about every single aspect of the day, whether it’s important or not, spending an average of £20k on ONE DAY.

And then there’s wedding message boards talking about buying stamps that match the invitation envelopes, personalising flip flops for your guests, worrying about favours that people are going to throw away once they get home. It can begin to take over and make you think that every decision you make is a reflection on your tastes.

I can imagine looking through the photographer’s proofs (who she probably paid £1400+ for) after the day was over and thinking “...for fucks sake!!!” that after all that effort made on the look and styling, the lasting momento from the day was “ruined” (in her view) because her bridesmaid forgot to take off her Michael Kors.

Please
or

TempUsername9374 · 21/08/2018 22:52

I'm another one who wore a watch as a bride and I can assure you that it was not unsightly! It's no different to any other accessory - there are different styles and colours, some are more casual than others - it's entirely possible to choose one that doesn't look out of place.

Please
or

3girlmama · 21/08/2018 22:52

Total bridezilla! I was bridesmaid to a bridezilla a few yr ago. Totally odd what she got her knickers in a twist about!

Please
or

Nacreous · 21/08/2018 22:52

I have a dress watch for evening and formal occasions, that has a narrow braided strap and is gold and silver and small and tasteful. I can see if you were wearing a swatch or a plastic Casio or a Fitbit something it might look out of place but if it’s just a small normal watch I can’t imagine it would.

Please
or

MrsSarahSiddons · 21/08/2018 22:55

utterly, utterly ridiculous.

Please
or

TheCraicDealer · 21/08/2018 22:57

YY @dinosaurkisses. Slightly different but my DMIL wore reactions-lense glasses to our wedding and she looks like one of the three blind mice in all of the group shots. I asked the photographer to see if they could edit them but it would've required photoshopping her face in and it just didn't look right. I obviously haven't said anything to her but I was a bit bummed that you can't see her face or expression properly in those family photos.

Please
or

GlisteningRipeElderberries · 21/08/2018 22:58

Poor girl probably forgot.
I’ve been a bridesmaid twice, the first time, there was no time to get ready, so makeup and my hair were rushed ( it was quite a drive to brides house, and did her hair and makeup) ...goodness knows if I had a watch on ( hideous dress, haven’t looked at photos)
The second time the bride and groom left us standing for an hour and a half, while they went off to get photographed, it was so tedious, no drinks, no seats, just waiting interminably...I wonder if I was wearing a watch that day ?

Please
or

crimsonlake · 21/08/2018 22:59

Unbelievable that anyone would think about a watch ruining a wedding photo, someone needs to get a life.

Please
or

GlisteningRipeElderberries · 21/08/2018 23:00

Ergo favours... don’t waste your money, no one cares really, and don’t do almonds.
At one wedding I was at, people didn’t even take the sliced cake boxes home they were given, just left them, such a shame.
Don’t waste your money on these little things, have fun, food you like....I wish we’d had fish and chips..! And people you like to join you

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.