Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Bridesmaid wearing a watch?!

Serenitymummy · 21/08/2018 22:00

This isn’t me but someone I know - was a bridesmaid to a good friend, she was hers a few years ago. Bridezilla (I’ve decided) asked all bridesmaids to take off their watches ‘so they don’t ruin the photos’.

My friend bridesmaid forgot, bridezilla now going mental at her. To the point the friendship might be over. AIBU to think bride is going way ott with this?!

OP's posts:
Please
or

Bugjune · 21/08/2018 23:01

Unsightly? LOL, I've heard it all now Grin

Please
or

GlisteningRipeElderberries · 21/08/2018 23:01

I meant ergh! Favours....

Please
or

Coco2891 · 21/08/2018 23:04

I had my watch on when I got married 😅 how ridiculous to cause a fuss

Please
or

babbi · 21/08/2018 23:05

what OuchLegoHurts says ...... this is so nuts/ trivial its hilarious ...

Please
or

Cornishclio · 21/08/2018 23:07

I think it is ridiculous to care whether or not a bridesmaid wore a watch and it certainly would not worry me. Bridezilla definitely.

Please
or

PlatypusPie · 21/08/2018 23:15

Watches are unsightly?! Unless the bridesmaid had forgotten to take her diving watch off, or had a particular fancy for retro Swatch plastic that might not go with the pastel georgette frock, then that is absurd. Women wear watches with other formal wear, it doesn’t look wrong - this is a new level of madness. My DD is getting married soon and we have been collecting examples of bridal bonkerness to avoid.

Please
or

ILoveDolly · 21/08/2018 23:20

Generally if it's smart dress you wouldn't wear your ordinary watch. When I got married my dad bought me a pretty bracelet watch to wear but I didn't even specify what clothes my bridesmaids wore so I'm not really good at this whole controlling bride nonsense. The pictures are taken, the wedding has happened. I can't believe anyone could be so deluded as to ruin a friendship by stressing about it not being pinterest perfect. People be crazy

Please
or

AppleKatie · 21/08/2018 23:26

I was so Shock at this being a thing I searched back through FB to my wedding pics (a very long time ago...), turns out neither me or my bridesmaids wore watches on the day.

I don’t remember ever discussing it though or thinking it mattered Confused strange

Please
or

walkingtheplank · 21/08/2018 23:27

My mind is boggling at so many thinking watches are unsightly. What sort of watches are you talking about? To be honest I don't think any watch would be that unsightly - I think the worst would be an Apple watch - but surely most people just wear a silver/gold watch. Am I missing a whole fashion for psychedelic watches that everyone except me is wearing?

Please
or

KERALA1 · 21/08/2018 23:32

Just...no words. This "issue" wouldn't have even occurred to me. Friendships are so precious cannot imagine risking a friendship over this! God feel sorry for her husband imagine being shackled for life to someone like this - horrors!

Please
or

Beeziekn33ze · 21/08/2018 23:34

TheCraicDealer - maybe there'll soon be discussion of whether bridesmaids should be allowed wear glasses!
dinosauskisses - how do you match stamps to envelopes?

Please
or

nocoolnamesleft · 21/08/2018 23:38

I'd wear a delicate dress watch, not a clunky one. But otherwise, batshit.

Please
or

RomanyRoots · 21/08/2018 23:38

I'd much rather see watches on wrists than phones, you'd be surprised how many times I heard photographers to tell them to put them away, that's normal guests too.

Please
or

dinosaurkisses · 21/08/2018 23:42

Putting aside the bride’s reaction (which is mental), surely it’s not hard to grasp that a watch that is used for daily wear is rarely smart enough for formal/evening wear?

Warches are like any fashion accessory- some are designed for casual or daily wear and others for use with more formal outfits. It’s not appropriate to wear a Fitbit or Swatch with a bridesmaid dress just as you wouldn’t wear a pair of trainers unless it was part of the dress code.

Please
or

PlatypusPie · 21/08/2018 23:44

TheCraicDealer - maybe there'll soon be discussion of whether bridesmaids should be allowed wear glasses!

Oh, I’ve had a friend suggest that I (MOB) should not wear my glasses in my the photos for my DDs forthcoming wedding. After I pointed out that me going headfirst down the steps was not likely to enhance the composition, she said I should take up wearing contacts again (gave them up very happily for my dry eyes years ago so that’s a no)

The ones I wear aren’t Joe 90 thick rims or retro 60s diamonte upsweep - my DD thought it was hilarious.

Please
or

dinosaurkisses · 21/08/2018 23:46

@Beeziekn33ze I read that batshittery about the envelopes and stamps on Reddit- it wasn’t unusual there as a US site for brides to pick certain stamp collections from the post office to match their stationary.

I still visit occasionally for a laugh.

Please
or

Celticrose · 21/08/2018 23:55

[Goes to get wedding photos out of cupboard]

Please
or

Muddlingalongalone · 22/08/2018 00:07

It seems I was unsightly on my wedding day as was one of my bridesmaids. I was also a terrible bridesmaid for my friend because I was also wearing a watch on her wedding day.
Prob why exh cheated really 😂😂😂😂

Please
or

PinkSquidgyPig · 22/08/2018 00:28

One of my bridesmaids wore a watch.
She wore a black bowler hat too. 💖

One of my bridesmaids refused to wear her dress/any knickers or shoes. My 4 year old daughter 💖💖

We had a lovely, crazy wedding with a bouncy castle and barefoot dancing on the grass.

Please
or

PinkSquidgyPig · 22/08/2018 00:31

Having read the OP carefully it looks like a case of 'slightly preoccupied woman made a small error'.

Please
or

OnTopOfSpaghetti · 22/08/2018 07:54

This thread has promoted me to dig out my wedding album! I did not wear a watch but I can see (shock horror) a slight white mark where my watch would have been. However one of my bridesmaids was....
Wearing a watch!ShockShockShock
It was obviously such a problem to me that I didn't even notice on the day, nor have I given it any consideration over the past 20 yearsGrin

Please
or

SockQueen · 22/08/2018 08:44

@TheCraicDealer both my parents had reactions glasses on too. It does look a bit silly in some pics but I couldn't ask them to buy a new pair each just for that!

Please
or

SheWoreBlueVelvet · 22/08/2018 08:50

Well it depends on the watch to be honest and type of wedding. You'd not want your bridesmaid wearing her favourite necklace or hoop earrings if they didn't match.

If you are having a low key wedding or informal wedding then yeah, maybe wearing a watch isn't a biggie.
If bride spend £100+ on a bridesmaid dress, paid for the hair and make up and the wedding had months of planning I can see why the bride was bit upset. Especially if it wasn't a watch that looked nice.

Please
or

ElizabethMainwaring · 22/08/2018 08:51

Pity the poor bloody groom...

Please
or

SoyDora · 22/08/2018 08:54

We spent approx £25k on our wedding and I still didn’t give a shit whether my BM’s wore a watch or not!
In fact I’d have to trawl through my photos so even know if any of them did.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.