Threads

See more results

Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

so what would kate middleclass ahve done if wills hadn't popped the question?

CerealOffender · 17/11/2010 08:23

tbh i knew next to nothing about the woman until last night and cared even less. but honestly she hung around for 8 years doing nothing useful with her life apart from waiting for some fecking man to pop the questiong. what a loser.

OP's posts:
Please
or

Bue · 17/11/2010 09:59

Realistically, how would she have held down a normal, full time job in London with the press as they are in this country? Remember the constant coverage when she worked at Jigsaw? I agree it seems as though she hasn't done loads with her life, but I also agree with megonthemoon that it was probably much better for her to be hidden away these past few years.

And let's be honest, everyone has known for quite some time that marriage was on the cards. Was there any point in starting a big career that she was going to abandon anyway?

Oh, and they are of an average age to be getting married.

Please
or

EightiesChick · 17/11/2010 10:03

She was always going to be damned if she did and damned if she didn't.
Please
or

PixieOnaLeaf · 17/11/2010 10:06

Message withdrawn

Please
or

Matsikula · 17/11/2010 10:14

Yes, but the 'plenty of 28 year olds' that live on benefits don't get held up as the future savious of the royal family by virtue of being middle class and ordinary, do they?

Personally I think it's bizarre that with that amount of education and opportunity she's basically chosen to do nothing, relationship or not. I am having a week of no work and no kids, and I am already going mad - what has been going on in her head for the last 8 years?

Please
or

sethstarkaddersmum · 17/11/2010 10:17

Maybe she's been studying the Constitution and learning to say 'Pleased to meet you' and 'Thank you so much' in 128 different languages.

Please
or

PixieOnaLeaf · 17/11/2010 10:18

Message withdrawn

Please
or

megonthemoon · 17/11/2010 10:20

"she's basically chosen to do nothing" - matsikula - did you read my post? she did try but the press hounded her so she went to work for her parents' company. facts! so she's not done nothing.

Please
or

grumpypants · 17/11/2010 10:22

Forget what she's been doing. I was more shocked at the total lack of chemistry last night - they both looked really depressed at the idfea of getting married, and she just looked relieved to have finally got the rock.

Please
or

Matsikula · 17/11/2010 10:23

If she is to be married to our future head of state, I think it is to do with me. Otherwise what's the point in having a monarchy, and me being a subject?

I feel sorry for her, and sorry for him, but not that sorry. They could opt out, if they wanted to.

Please
or

frostyfingers · 17/11/2010 10:26

Blimey some of these comments are bitchy - we don't know her at all, why should we condemn her. Personally I don't envy her one bit, from now on her every move will be scrutinised and criticised, and for some people she will never do anything right.

No doubt they will be condemned for having a fancy wedding, or condemned for having a smaller affair (unlikely. The obligations on the Royal Family are substantial.

Maybe she has wanted a career but because of who she loves is not going to be able to. Sophie Wessex was pilloried too and she did have a career.

I could do without the endless dissection on tv and in the press of their relationship though - great news, nice story but thanks very much that's all I need to know.

Please
or

PixieOnaLeaf · 17/11/2010 10:32

Message withdrawn

Please
or

EldritchCleavage · 17/11/2010 11:12

Why so nasty about her? I mean, I don't really care about them (am a Republican) but I really don't see what she's done to attract such opprobium.

And meg is right, the paps rendered her unemployable. There was quite a lot of legal stuff about that behind the scenes, with a court action threatened at one point, I gather.

And what would you do if you were William (whose mother, let's not forget, died in a car chase with paps?) Leave her to it, or beg her just to give up and be safe with you?

I'm so tired of the women-bashing in our culture. No one really criticises William or Harry, even when they deserve it, or Andrew (much) or Edward, but the women they date/ marry are routinely villified. It stinks.

Please
or

PixieOnaLeaf · 17/11/2010 11:29

Message withdrawn

Please
or

CerealOffender · 17/11/2010 12:35

just because she is a woman we can't have an opinion? po po po

OP's posts:
Please
or

EldritchCleavage · 17/11/2010 12:38

If that were what I said, you might have a point. But of course it wasn't what I said.

Please
or

PixieOnaLeaf · 17/11/2010 12:40

Message withdrawn

Please
or

DELHI · 17/11/2010 12:42

I'm with Eldritch,. Why so spiteful?

Please
or

CerealOffender · 17/11/2010 12:42

i don't give a shite that she is a woman, i was just horrified at how her life for the past 8 years has been purely about her relationship with william, its not healthy. she was incapable of stringing a sentence together yesterday incase she 'makes a mistake'. keeping her self royal bride fit appears to be been a mind numbing task. i think it is weird.

OP's posts:
Please
or

PixieOnaLeaf · 17/11/2010 12:44

Message withdrawn

Please
or

AitchTwoOh · 17/11/2010 12:44

i don't really understand all teh waity katie stuff, myself. if i was with a guy who is going to be kink and had a window of opportunity for something approachgin privacy, i'd take as muuch of it as i could before unleashing the shitstorm of publicity.

i thought they both seemed nice, and happy. AND i think it's seweet that he gave her his mum's ring. i must be softening in my old age.

Please
or

CerealOffender · 17/11/2010 12:46

fair enough, as i said at teh start all i know of her is the coverage from last night with some ghastly sloanes pontificating. i shall retreat to my hovel and continue to doff my forlock

OP's posts:
Please
or

PixieOnaLeaf · 17/11/2010 12:46

Message withdrawn

Please
or

Lovethesea · 17/11/2010 12:47

Maybe she's been mumsnetting ...

Please
or

PixieOnaLeaf · 17/11/2010 12:47

Message withdrawn

Please
or

VivaLeBeaver · 17/11/2010 12:54

She's have married some other fairly rich bloke and then in 10 years time would have had an affair with Prince William behind his wife's back. They Will's would have divorced his wife and a while later they'd have got married. Just like Charles and Camilla.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

We're all short on time

Log in or sign up to use the 'See Next' or 'See all' posts by the OP (Original Poster) and cut straight to the action.

Already signed up?

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?