Masterchef Australia on tonight

BigFatLiar · 01/08/2022 19:07

Has a thread been started?

OP's posts:
Please
or
to access all these features

Davros · 06/08/2022 12:52

I wonder what the story is with Harry. She's quite androgenous, is called "she" but has been talking about when she changed her name but not why...
I think she's very good and could win

Please
or

Sisisimone · 06/08/2022 14:47

Davros · 05/08/2022 09:11

Julie seems out of her depth and she knows it. I like her but you can see the difference between the first series and the more recent ones

Eh? She's smashing it, has had the best dish of the last 3 rounds and just won immunity.

I read that Harry changed her name following a period of being really badly bullied at school and just needing a complete fresh start.

Really enjoying this series so far, looks like theres going to be some great guest chefs as well.

Please
or

DeckardK · 06/08/2022 21:12

Davros · 06/08/2022 12:52

I wonder what the story is with Harry. She's quite androgenous, is called "she" but has been talking about when she changed her name but not why...
I think she's very good and could win

It just seems even more contrived than usual - the whole charade over playing the pin etc. Hmm

Please
or

Soberfutures · 06/08/2022 21:15

I watch in on uktvplay app on my smart TV. I'm still catching up on season 12 lol.

Please
or

Davros · 07/08/2022 16:06

Sisisimone I don't think Julie is smashing it, I think they've decided to treat her favourably because she's a "treasure"

Please
or

Sisisimone · 08/08/2022 09:28

I think Julie is getting a lot of coverage in the first few episodes, just because she is so well known in Aus and people want to hear her story. This will lessen as others come to the fore over the weeks and we get to know the new ones better.

I think it can be hard to understand why some people get more of the focus watching from the UK as these people aren't really known here and it's hard to understand the level of interest they generate in Aus. There was a similar level of criticism generated on here towards Poh a couple of seasons ago for the same reasons. I dont think for a second they are pretending her food is better than it is or handing her immunity pins though, you can see that by the reaction of the other contestants to her food as well.

Did anyone else think Harry was going to refuse to step forward when they called her name in the immunity challenge last episode? I thought she wasn't going to move She was so supremely confident that unseasoned lentils and a bit of roast pumpkin would get her through. She was very lucky there to stay in.

Please
or

Davros · 08/08/2022 09:59

I suppose because Chris's dish was worse which is a shame because I really liked him

Please
or

CrispyChilliOil · 10/08/2022 11:52

Every year I tell myself I won’t get sucked in, I don’t have time etc etc., but here I find myself again😂 Loving the return of the favourites (although I’d question why some of them are there - I guess because so many returned for Back to Win in 2020). Pleased to see that Alvin is back and found myself tearing up over a few of the moments with Julie. Enjoyed the pressure test last night - could really do with Adriano Zumba making that for me as it looked delicious.

Please
or

BigFatLiar · 10/08/2022 14:42

I think the favourites are a bit of a mixed bunch, while its an achievement to go far in the competition some weren't exactly the standouts. I suspect many are there because they need the publicity.

OP's posts:
Please
or

Davros · 10/08/2022 19:03

Alvin came 6th in the second series. Although he's very lovely, if a bit dramatic, I mean 6th!? Wtf

Please
or

tokyotea · 10/08/2022 19:50

Ahh so happy to have come across this! About to start episode one now :) Australia masterchef is my happy place lol.

Please
or

BigFatLiar · 10/08/2022 20:15

Liked today's challenge, the dishes looked good but 'naked tacos' and overdone chilli jam let's them down.

OP's posts:
Please
or

LosingTheWill2022 · 13/08/2022 14:11

I love Masterchef Australia and have now caught up on this week's episodes.
I'm not mad about the format this year. It's such a fantastic opportunity for home cooks that it seems unfair that half the contestants are returnees who have had that chance slready.
It was fine when it was all former contestants with the new judges but it feels like 12 amateurs have lost their chance at competing this year.
I'm also hoping that it will cease to be the Julie show next week 🙏

Please
or

BackT · 14/08/2022 20:10

I love MCA. I've been away so I've spent the weekend catching up.

I'm not crazy about the format either. It's all a bit confusing. I expect as we get to know them it'll be better.

Please
or

DeckardK · 29/08/2022 00:24

I've been away so just catching up on 2 weeks worth - really enjoyed the last episode, with the overnight time.
I do really like Minoli, I hope she does well 😊

Please
or

BigFatLiar · 29/08/2022 07:44

The overnight was good but even then it wasn't quite right. We like lots of long time stuff like steak & kidney pudding but it would require a long slow cook the day before followed by being left to cool overnight then a decent time to steam in the suet pastry. It may not have been long enough in the actual cooking times.

Julies lamb looked amazing and is probably what I'd have gone for.

OP's posts:
Please
or

BigFatLiar · 31/08/2022 07:02

It may seem petty but Mel is a bit of a distraction sometime in this series, she seems to have been dressed as a barbie doll.

OP's posts:
Please
or

BigFatLiar · 15/09/2022 19:17

Marco Pierre White tonight. Don't know what he's really like but comes over really pompous.

OP's posts:
Please
or

Davros · 15/09/2022 21:40

I agree with you about Mel's clobber. Sometimes it's awful but she's had a couple of nice dresses recently. I don't like the spiky shoes she's always wearing

Please
or

OnTheBoardwalk · 15/09/2022 23:25

I'm a bit behind but yes Mel needs to sack her stylist

i'd give my arms and legs to look like Mel. The not good stylist is distracting from the great things she has to say

Please
or

BackT · 16/09/2022 06:21

I'm an obsessive MCA fan but this season seems so stacked towards Julie certain contestants.

The playing field was never even remotely level and I do feel that the eliminations are not strictly fair.

Still enjoying it but not so keen on the format.

Please
or

Sisisimone · 16/09/2022 07:26

I love Mel but agree with some of the comments about her dresses. Seems to have got better in recent episodes though. I've no idea why she insists on standing like a pigeon at the start of every show. For some reason it really irritates me.

I'm really enjoying the format. It's interesting now that there are equal numbers of fans/faves left and the early emphasis on Julie in the show has definitely waned.

I was really sorry when Minoli went, loved her. Her restaurant in Darwen looks like it's doing incredibly well though, she's just won an award and it has rave reviews.

Looking forward to finishing work this afternoon and settling down to last nights MPW episode.

I can't see past Billie for the win.

Please
or

mrsbyers · 18/09/2022 09:53

BackT · 16/09/2022 06:21

I'm an obsessive MCA fan but this season seems so stacked towards Julie certain contestants.

The playing field was never even remotely level and I do feel that the eliminations are not strictly fair.

Still enjoying it but not so keen on the format.

It absolutely was but it does get better so stick with it

Please
or

LosingTheWill2022 · 18/09/2022 10:18

I'm enjoying the series despite still feeling very annoyed by having returning competitors for half the contestants . I might have been more forgiving if there weren't past winners. But Masterchef is about finding the best home cook and giving them the opportunity to take that skill into the professional world. Most of the returners are professionals already thanks to previous series. I feel for some of the "fans" who would have got further and had the benefit of staying longer if the competition weren't professional
I've warmed to Julie but I still root for the newbies.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

We're all short on time

Log in or sign up to use the 'See Next' or 'See all' posts by the OP (Original Poster) and cut straight to the action.

Already signed up?

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?