Mumsnet Logo
My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Style & Beauty

I’d like a perfume that makes me feel like Dame Maggie Smith is offering me a scone and telling me kindly that I’m doing a great job and everything’s going to be OK.

278 replies

Stoechas · 10/02/2023 16:23

For clarification I do not want to smell
like Dame Maggie Smith (although I bet she smells lovely) or a scone.

I have a sometimes grim job in a grim part of the world interacting with sometimes grim people and I’d like to be able to put my nose down my top in private and smell something that makes everything a bit better.

No idea about perfumes. Perfume people scare me. Going to JL next week and would like to have a sniff of maximum 5 perfumes and buy one of them.

Do not want anything remotely sexy, rude, obnoxious, syrupy girlie flowers, loud antibacterial sunshine or clean sheets in the rain I just mowed my lawn in a long dress bullshit.

Anything that fits the bill?

OP posts:

antipodeancanary · 10/02/2023 16:58

Molton brown milk musk

UnfinishedBusiness · 10/02/2023 16:58

The original Jimmy Choo is lovely too as others have said. Flowers by Kenzo is nice, light and floral too.

Flossiemoss · 10/02/2023 16:59

Another Jo Maline vote. It has exactly the effect you want.

BoreOfWhabylon · 10/02/2023 16:59

Also, it depends whether you do your grim job in a warm or cold part of the world.

UWhatNow · 10/02/2023 17:00

So op… a hundred different suggestions from people all with different tastes. How helpful for you! 😂

Jaxinthebox · 10/02/2023 17:03

ChardonnaysBeastlyCat · 10/02/2023 16:40

Hermes Eau Des Mervelles is what you're looking for.

Not Ambre, not Elixier. The plain one.

that's the one I couldn't remember the name of! Its just delicious

CampervanKween · 10/02/2023 17:04

GIVENCHY L'INTERDIT got it for Christmas and it's really lovely. Classic and comforting definitely.

Hartlebury · 10/02/2023 17:04

Buy the Dries van Noten sample set, they're all perfect.

Hartlebury · 10/02/2023 17:06

Sent too soon 🙄

I wear the Dries Fleur de Mal and the scent lasts for a very long time. It's worth the splurge (just).

CosyBobbleHat · 10/02/2023 17:08

You need to tell us what perfume or smell you like

Derrymum123 · 10/02/2023 17:09

Aaaw, this reminds me of a smell I remember my mum with. Astral face cream. I know it's not a perfume, but every now and then I miss her so much, so I bought a small jar, just to remind me.

I would recommend Cerrutti 1881. My favourite ever perfume.

Dogsgottabone · 10/02/2023 17:10

I'd vote for Guerlain Samsara. It's a classic.

Classy, grown up, smart, straight, no implication of wittering about shit.

LaTangerina · 10/02/2023 17:10

CampervanKween · 10/02/2023 17:04

GIVENCHY L'INTERDIT got it for Christmas and it's really lovely. Classic and comforting definitely.

Second vote for L'interdit it's absolutely beautiful & unlike anything else!
I used to wear Jean Paul Gautier classique so second vote would be for that.

mauvish · 10/02/2023 17:11

I find the problem with Jo Malone scents is that they wear off very quickly. For what they cost, I resent having to top up every couple of hours.

I'd second O de Lancome, simply because it doesn't tick any of your "don't want" boxes, and JL sell it.

The nicest perfume I've smelt recently was Creed Aventuis - it's marketed as a man's scent but who cares when it smells so gorgeous? Unfortunately the price is less than gorgeous --

MuseThrower · 10/02/2023 17:15

Chanel 19.

No nonsense, grown-up woman’s perfume. Maggie Smith in a bottle.

SirChenjins · 10/02/2023 17:17

I wear Coco Chanel - have done for many years, and it's a very comforting, very elegant fragrance (unlike me). When I wear it I feel like I should be lounging on a sofa in the library, drinking Earl Grey and eating scones in front of a roaring fire with a lab at my feet and a handsome husband in tweeds next to me reading the farm report from the estate manager (sexist stereotypes alert).

WarningToTheCurious · 10/02/2023 17:19

I’ll third Ô de Lancome - fresh and citrusy.

I also really like Nuxe Prodigiuese - which you can get at JL and M&S.

maddy68 · 10/02/2023 17:19

Armani diamonds

SgtCawood · 10/02/2023 17:23

Is there anywhere that actually stocks all these in one place? or is OP going to have to devote her life to seeking out expensive boutiques

Stoechas · 10/02/2023 17:24

These are the perfumes I own. They’re all probably at least 3 years old which shows how often I wear perfume as none of those scents is right for wearing to work. They were all gifts. I’ve never chosen my own perfume.
I really don’t want other people to smell
me, I just want to quietly have a gentle private upward waft of nice smell into my nostrils throughout the day.

I’d like a perfume that makes me feel like Dame Maggie Smith is offering me a scone and telling me kindly that I’m doing a great job and everything’s going to be OK.
OP posts:

dudsville · 10/02/2023 17:24

I love how seriously everyone is taking your request and how well understood it is. It's as if everyone's just nodded, thought "i get it" and stepped in with lovely scenes life rafts.

Mine is already mentioned, coco chanel. And it offers the staying power that will see you through the most horrendous day. I do one squirt and get a waft of it throughout the day.

Centrum Advance is a terrible perfume btw. Do not recommend. Very tablety.

OP posts:

LaTangerina · 10/02/2023 17:26

Is it only me that doesn't like any of the Chanel perfumes?! 🙈

Stoechas · 10/02/2023 17:26

BoreOfWhabylon · 10/02/2023 16:59

Also, it depends whether you do your grim job in a warm or cold part of the world.

The grim cold north. Vest cold.

OP posts:

LaTangerina · 10/02/2023 17:29

These are the perfumes I own. They’re all probably at least 3 years old which shows how often I wear perfume as none of those scents is right for wearing to work. They were all gifts. I’ve never chosen my own perfume.
I really don’t want other people to smell
me, I just want to quietly have a gentle private upward waft of nice smell into my nostrils throughout the day.

You definitely need to go & get at least five samples & pick your own new signature scent.
Definitely get them to spray samples onto the papers & let them settle for at least a half hour while you go fir a coffee or something because scents change.
Better if you could get them on your skin but with a few it would get confusing.