Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Right, I'm getting a onesie

61 replies

DameHelena · 04/10/2022 13:03

Always thought adults wearing onesies was a bit infantile and embarrassing, but this winter it's going to be cold and I've stopped giving fucks.

Who knows of a good one, with a hood, warm winter-weight but ideally NOT sweaty polyester? I'm open to either plain or novelty colours and styles (I don't even mind ears/a tail if it's the right onesie).
Budget is up to about £50.
TIA.

OP posts:
Please
or

ButtercupsAndBluebells · 04/10/2022 13:05

I've just bought this one and I absolutely love it:

www.johnlewis.com/john-lewis-pom-pom-fleece-onesie/p4751614?s_share=jlappdroid

It's SO soft and warm, I highly recommend it!

Please
or

DameHelena · 04/10/2022 13:06

Thank you. Is it a bit sweaty though, being polyester?
Actually that makes me think: does one wear anything under them?

OP posts:
Please
or

ButtercupsAndBluebells · 04/10/2022 13:11

DameHelena · 04/10/2022 13:06

Thank you. Is it a bit sweaty though, being polyester?
Actually that makes me think: does one wear anything under them?

I don't find it sweaty, maybe because the fabric is sort of "teddy bear" fluffy type instead of regular fleece. My husband has got a horrible staticky one, and I was keen to avoid something like that!

I usually just pop it on over my clothes when I get a bit chilly, if I'm already in something comfortable. Otherwise I just wear it over my undies. I suppose the real test will come when the proper cold weather starts.

Please
or

FatAgainItsLettuceTime · 04/10/2022 13:11

Don't do it!

The concept seems good but every time you need the toilet you have to take your top off. If you're getting a onesie because the house is cooler than you prefer then you will be getting cold every time.

Get an oodie (or primark version) or fleece pjs with seperate top and trousers,

Please
or

DameHelena · 04/10/2022 13:32

ButtercupsAndBluebells · 04/10/2022 13:11

I don't find it sweaty, maybe because the fabric is sort of "teddy bear" fluffy type instead of regular fleece. My husband has got a horrible staticky one, and I was keen to avoid something like that!

I usually just pop it on over my clothes when I get a bit chilly, if I'm already in something comfortable. Otherwise I just wear it over my undies. I suppose the real test will come when the proper cold weather starts.

That's useful, thank you.

OP posts:
Please
or

DameHelena · 04/10/2022 13:38

Don't do it!

The concept seems good but every time you need the toilet you have to take your top off. If you're getting a onesie because the house is cooler than you prefer then you will be getting cold every time.

Yes, that had crossed my mind! You can get ones with flaps, I've seen. For some reason I feel a bit squeamish about that, but I'd probably get over it. Or can you get press-stud ones like you get with bodysuits?

Just looked at oodies. Thing is that then I have to think about warm trousers/leggings, as it leaves the lower legs uncovered, and I think a onesie might be cosier.

OP posts:
Please
or

SoupDragon · 04/10/2022 13:38

I'd recommend an "ooodie" and trousers too. The faff and cold when going to the toilet would irritate me.

Please
or

SoupDragon · 04/10/2022 13:40

My fake oodie was so warm I was fine with tracksuit type trousers/thick PJ trousers.

Please
or

DameHelena · 04/10/2022 13:41

Maybe an oodie is where it's at... But I do love the idea of just one garment.

OP posts:
Please
or

justasking111 · 04/10/2022 13:42

Don't do it!

Primark fleecy pyjamas for me. They were a Christmas present, soon became a go to on cold days

Please
or

cooolio · 04/10/2022 13:47

Fleece pj bottoms and an oodie.

You'll wee on the flap of a onesie 🤢

Please
or

DameHelena · 04/10/2022 13:47

OK, I've ordered an oodie. Just need warm leggings/joggers now and I'll see how I get on.

OP posts:
Please
or

TattiePants · 04/10/2022 14:12

I'm currently wearing DD's Oodie (well Kuddly) and it's so warm I'm going to order one for me and DH.

Please
or

Geewhizzr · 04/10/2022 15:01

I have that one ! Ace.
Dd has an oodie.. i much much pref onsie.. as the oodie only heats 3/ 4 of u
The onsies keep yr middle warm . I also wear mine on top of regulat
R clothes in the house.. then take it off to walk the dog etc.. if i took my day clothes off id not want to take my onsie off n get too cosy to do any jobs.i sort of wear it like a housecoat.

Please
or

SoupDragon · 04/10/2022 15:58

Geewhizzr · 04/10/2022 15:01

I have that one ! Ace.
Dd has an oodie.. i much much pref onsie.. as the oodie only heats 3/ 4 of u
The onsies keep yr middle warm . I also wear mine on top of regulat
R clothes in the house.. then take it off to walk the dog etc.. if i took my day clothes off id not want to take my onsie off n get too cosy to do any jobs.i sort of wear it like a housecoat.

Yes, but that 3/4 of you is warm whilst your going to the toilet too, plus the trousers keep the other 1/4 warm with no risk of being peed on.

Please
or

Bananaman123 · 04/10/2022 20:33

Primark for warm leggings. Also next have gorgeous onesies

Please
or

EVHead · 04/10/2022 22:36

Asda have loungewear jumpsuits at the moment. I saw this one yesterday and it’s lovely.

Please
or

DameHelena · 05/10/2022 09:02

Thanks everyone. Bananaman123, what leggings in particular should I look for in primark?

OP posts:
Please
or

Roomytrouser · 05/10/2022 15:21

I got some alpaca leggings. Not the same as merino wool base layers, they are thicker. Am planning on wearing under jeans

Please
or

DameHelena · 05/10/2022 16:01

Ooh, I love alpaca! Where from?

OP posts:
Please
or

sausagedogpookie · 06/10/2022 01:26

I know they’re above budget but if you can maybe put one on your Christmas list,you cannot beat Onepiece onesies. They are very warm, well made, and good thick quality. They wash and last well. (They also have styles with zipped bum flaps but never felt the need for that!) The hood zip fastens right up to above your eyebrows if you want, which is great for dog walking in blizzards/driving rain! I had to stop wearing mine (original style) in previous years,as it’s so hot but may well get it out again this winter. You’ll never wear another once you’ve got a Onepiece, there’s just no comparison with high street onesies - they’re worth the extra money.

Please
or

sausagedogpookie · 06/10/2022 01:35

I have this one. Offers on at mo,plus discount code if you sign up to mailing list etc.
I bought them as Xmas pressies for family one year - we all lived in them all Xmas and beyond!😂My sis used to put hers on as soon as she got in from work and also bought herself another,so she had one to wear when other was in the wash! I wore them indoors over just
underwear if weather not that cold,or over a T-shirt if colder. Wore thin leggings or tights underneath it too if walking dog in it but that was too hot to do inside the house.

Right, I'm getting a onesie
Please
or

hellosunshineagainxxx · 06/10/2022 01:38

I wish they did them with bummflaps then Id get one 🤣🤣🤣

Please
or

sausagedogpookie · 06/10/2022 02:13

@hellosunshineagainxxx they used to but I can’t see them on the website anymore!🙁 I think the full zip is no hassle at all though - it’s smooth and v long (there’s no wiggling required) so just drop it in 2 seconds for going to the loo and then arms back in and same quick zip up afterwards.🤷🏻‍♀️

Please
or

BeserkGiraffe · 06/10/2022 02:21

DameHelena · 04/10/2022 13:47

OK, I've ordered an oodie. Just need warm leggings/joggers now and I'll see how I get on.

Good call. They are the best and so worth the money compared to the many copycat fakes.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?