Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

That's a bit bloody sexist, M&S!

GreeboIsMySpiritAnimal · 16/09/2022 16:57

Popped in earlier to collect an order, and the collection point is next to Menswear. On my way through I noticed they had some "Stormwear" jeans - water resistant ones. "What a good idea! I'll head down to womens wear next and see what styles they do them in."

The answer? None. At all. Loads of different styles of jeans, but no Stormwear ones. Checking the app reveals they actually only make them for men. Why? Do women not get wet in the rain? Do we just stay inside when it drizzles? Or are our menfolk supposed to gallantly be on hand to shelter us under their umbrella whenever it rains?

And before anyone says "well you you could just buy the mens ones", no I can't, because they don't come in a small enough size.

Why don't women get to have dry legs??!

OP's posts:
Please
or

WrinklesShminkles · 16/09/2022 18:19

Not to mention that their women's jeans come with tiny shallow pockets that they wouldn't dare inflict on men. Why do women always get scammed by retailers? I bet all the men's jeans are cheaper than the women's equivalents too 😡

Please
or

RunnyPaint · 16/09/2022 20:58

If it's any consolation, I'm not sure how good the StormWear protection really is. They do have it on some styles of girls' school trousers, but DD's legs still get wet through them in heavy rain...

Please
or

Dogsgottabone · 16/09/2022 20:59

They also sold polarised Sunglasses for men this summer but none for women. The mens styles looked awful on me or I would have bought some.

Why no polarised Sunglasses for women? Do we not want to protect our eyes and look good too?

Please
or

BigFatLiar · 16/09/2022 21:00

It's a name designed to help sell the jeans. I doubt they give any more protection than other jeans.

Please
or

TokyoTen · 16/09/2022 21:12

I dont think they are actually any good at protecting from the wet (so DP says) it's just a brand name.

Please
or

ArseInTheCoOpWindow · 16/09/2022 21:15

They don’t make pure cotton hoodies for women it appears, although they do for men. Why am l not worth pure cotton?

Please
or

Stopsnowing · 16/09/2022 21:15

This is the same m and s which sells red wellies marked boys because girls don’t wear red.

Please
or

catblanket · 16/09/2022 21:22

I find that all the girls’ coats are water resistant, but for my boys it’s a lot easier to find waterproof ones. That’s not just M&S, it’s everywhere. It drives me nuts.

And I have an outdoors job and things like Stormwear jeans and polarised sunnies are essentials for me!

Please
or

beastlyslumber · 16/09/2022 21:23

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Please
or

ouch321 · 16/09/2022 21:25

This is one of the 'best' check out how skinny I am, I'm so so tiny I wouldn't even fit into the smallest men's size stealth boasts I've seen so far on here.

Please
or

Precipice · 16/09/2022 21:27

Is it a skinny brag? As a size 8 can wear men's jeans, it seems more likely OP is small in the sense of short.

Please
or

Dogsgottabone · 16/09/2022 21:28

@beastlyslumber I do see your point, but I've never come across a man in any of the marks changing rooms I've been in in the last year. Or ever.

Please
or

TwitTw00 · 16/09/2022 21:38

Dogsgottabone · 16/09/2022 21:28

@beastlyslumber I do see your point, but I've never come across a man in any of the marks changing rooms I've been in in the last year. Or ever.

People go on about this as though it's new and shocking but it was policy when I worked there. I left in 2009.

Please
or

beastlyslumber · 16/09/2022 21:40

I don't know if it's new but it's certainly shocking.

Please
or

GreeboIsMySpiritAnimal · 16/09/2022 21:43

Precipice · 16/09/2022 21:27

Is it a skinny brag? As a size 8 can wear men's jeans, it seems more likely OP is small in the sense of short.

Unless I'm missing something, the mens jeans start at a 30" waist and I need a 27". So not a skinny brag, just "normal human woman size" requirement.

OP's posts:
Please
or

Isthisexpected · 16/09/2022 21:46

A man can self identify as a woman and get allocated to be your bra fitter and you won't be told about it because M&S believe that men who feel in their hearts and minds they are women are the same as women.

So M&S are all about faux equality but in reality do nothing (positive) for women.

Please
or

Tigertigertigertiger · 16/09/2022 21:48

I think you’re overthinking it a bit

Please
or

GreeboIsMySpiritAnimal · 16/09/2022 21:49

Tigertigertigertiger · 16/09/2022 21:48

I think you’re overthinking it a bit

Why?

OP's posts:
Please
or

Batshitkerazy · 16/09/2022 22:04

Drives me mad. I noticed that the womens jeans in next were more expensive than the mens too 😡

Please
or

GlasgowGal82 · 16/09/2022 22:08

I think Marks and Spencers design/buying team does seems to be quite sexist. I bought matching pyjamas from their last Christmas and was gutted to discover that the womens pair didn't have pockets, whereas the mens pair did. Their womens pyjamas never have pockets, although they've become fairly standard elsewhere. Do they not think women have the need to carry things?

Please
or

Johnnysgirl · 16/09/2022 22:13

TwitTw00 · 16/09/2022 21:38

People go on about this as though it's new and shocking but it was policy when I worked there. I left in 2009.

To allow men into the women's changing rooms?? In 2009? I don't believe it.

Please
or

Johnnysgirl · 16/09/2022 22:16

GreeboIsMySpiritAnimal · 16/09/2022 21:43

Unless I'm missing something, the mens jeans start at a 30" waist and I need a 27". So not a skinny brag, just "normal human woman size" requirement.

Isn't that like around size 6? And you reckon it's just the "normal human woman" size?
Anyone over a size 6 is outside the norm... 🤔. Do give over, ffs!

Please
or

GreeboIsMySpiritAnimal · 16/09/2022 22:23

I'm larger than a size 6, and that's absolutely not my point.

OP's posts:
Please
or

Isaidnoalready · 16/09/2022 22:28

My son has just noticed women don't have pockets as standard I asked him to shove my keys on his pocket for a minute he said no put them in yours I said what pockets? He looked ????? WHERE ARE YOUR POCKETS???? dude why do I usually carry a bag? IDK cos women do? 🤣

It sucks I want pockets and waterproof trousers

Please
or

GreeboIsMySpiritAnimal · 16/09/2022 22:30

I remember being furious the day I noticed my 6 month old son has more pockets than I did. What does a baby need to put in his pockets?!

OP's posts:
Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?