Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

That's a bit bloody sexist, M&S!

127 replies

GreeboIsMySpiritAnimal · 16/09/2022 16:57

Popped in earlier to collect an order, and the collection point is next to Menswear. On my way through I noticed they had some "Stormwear" jeans - water resistant ones. "What a good idea! I'll head down to womens wear next and see what styles they do them in."

The answer? None. At all. Loads of different styles of jeans, but no Stormwear ones. Checking the app reveals they actually only make them for men. Why? Do women not get wet in the rain? Do we just stay inside when it drizzles? Or are our menfolk supposed to gallantly be on hand to shelter us under their umbrella whenever it rains?

And before anyone says "well you you could just buy the mens ones", no I can't, because they don't come in a small enough size.

Why don't women get to have dry legs??!

OP posts:
Please
or

KirstenBlest · 17/09/2022 13:08

The underwear adverts for women are shown on a woman in a pose, whereas the men's underpants are shown without someone in them

Please
or

TwitTw00 · 17/09/2022 13:26

Johnnysgirl · 16/09/2022 22:13

To allow men into the women's changing rooms?? In 2009? I don't believe it.

I can assure you it was. I did their graduate scheme and read every policy because there was no Internet access on the store computers in those days and I wanted something to do on quiet Sundays! There was even a coathanger policy.

Please
or

LookItsMeAgain · 17/09/2022 13:32

Please
or

LuciferRising · 17/09/2022 17:18

How on earth have people read this thread and thinks is it a stealth boast about being skinny? Many adult human females will not fit into men's clothes. It is perfectly reasonable to want them in female sizes. Anyone that reads more into it has issues.

Please
or

pictish · 17/09/2022 17:37

Agree. I’m a slim(ish) 8/10, short legs, long back, narrow shoulders, full bum. I find mens clothes entirely wrong on me. I always want a womens fit.

Please
or

Pigtailsandall · 17/09/2022 18:12

I'm basically boycotting m&s anyway after a pair of jeans I bought from them disintegrated within 6 months. But I was always wound up by their kids' clothing and their ridiculous gendered approach. Could not find anything for a girl that didn't have ruffles or cute pink slogans- and boys' stuff was always either dinosaurs or dark camouflage crap, as if they're being recruited to an at at age 2,5 🙄. Its a shame because the kid's pyjamas are really soft.

So this doesn't surprise me. I think they are mentally stuck in the 1960s

Please
or

Pigtailsandall · 17/09/2022 18:13

*as if they are recruited to an army at 2,5 years of age

Please
or

LividLaVidaLoca · 17/09/2022 18:26

I bought men’s m&s family Christmas matching pyjamas last year in LIVIDITY that the men’s had pockets and the women’s didn’t, for the same price. Turns out I’m a men’s medium.

Please
or

NotDonna · 17/09/2022 21:31

Not only M&S - try buying warm waterproof girls coats/jackets without ears but with pockets. For my 3 daughters they’ve had boys coats/jackets for years and years. When they were toddlers it was particularly ridiculous. The girls ones are thin, no hood, rarely waterproof and often no pockets.

Please
or

GreeboIsMySpiritAnimal · 17/09/2022 21:35

Yes, I shouldn't really be surprised. DD chose all her summer clothes from the boys section in M&S because the girls' stuff was all too pink and girly.

(I know we don't have to shop there, but we have limited choices for in-store shopping and DD has to try stuff on first as she's autistic and has some sensory issues)

OP posts:
Please
or
Please
or

Fabuleuse · 18/09/2022 15:03

Their men's socks are way better than the women's too. I bought both men's and women's socks last winter and my toes went through the seams of the women's ones within a couple of months. Men's ones are still going strong.

Please
or

BigFatLiar · 18/09/2022 20:54

😀OH all you trannies dressing in menswear! 😂

Please
or

spongedog · 18/09/2022 21:10

Now Mumsnet used to have a relationship with the M&S marketing department. A few years ago I had the most wonderful day up at M&S headquarters with some other lovely mumsnetters. We were asked to comment and feedback on a range of clothing and the store layout in general. The feedback from Mumsnetters was mostly natural fabrics!! It was a great day - fun, opinionated. It's mostly when I realised that my love of PerUna and that styling/colour/patterns was considered odd in adult world!!!

Please
or

TooHotToRamble · 18/09/2022 21:24

They also don't sell fleece lined joggers for women. The men's ones are amazing (I bought for my DH last Christmas) but too small in the hip for me. Women's ones would be great for this coming Cost if Living crisis winter.

Please
or

Deathraystare · 18/09/2022 22:04

I have winged on here about Primark too! The men's t shirts were better course than the wjmens. Though Spring and Summer I was hoping for bright, cheery colours but it was all dull dead burgundy and completely washed out pink! Dull, dull, dull! Meanwhile the men had bright blue, yellow, red etc. And it was ages before they got those padded coats and jackets in anything other than the dull dead burgundy, black or deep green. I know some people actually like these colours , but in summer I expected some colour!

Please
or

NotDonna · 18/09/2022 23:04

mandolinwind · 18/09/2022 14:56

Love this! Thank you for sharing @mandolinwind

Please
or

TizerorFizz · 18/09/2022 23:29

You all need to get a life! I just buy jeans!

Please
or

Discovereads · 18/09/2022 23:42

I dunno. When looking at the bigger picture, M&S offer 267 different types of jeans to women, but only 138 to men? So although they offer “stormwear jeans” only to men, there are over a 100 types of jeans offered to women but not men.

Im convinced it’s really the same 20 types of jeans for both sexes and the rest is just coming up with fake gendered names for marketing reasons. Stormwear is so obviously stereotypically manly, while Magic Shaping is so obviously stereotypically womanly.

Please
or

Discovereads · 18/09/2022 23:51

mandolinwind · 18/09/2022 14:56

Absolute nonsense. If you knew anything about fashion history you’d know that historically women always had pockets…big ones in their skirts…big enough to put a flint lock pistol into. It wasn’t until AFTER women got the vote that fashion designers and clothing companies disappeared pockets.
www.vam.ac.uk/articles/womens-tie-pockets

Please
or

TizerorFizz · 19/09/2022 07:22

Happy not to have big pockets in jeans. Prefer a sleek look and a decent bag. Who used jeans pockets? Not even DH!

Please
or

GreeboIsMySpiritAnimal · 19/09/2022 07:38

TizerorFizz · 18/09/2022 23:29

You all need to get a life! I just buy jeans!

Got a life, thanks. Would also like dry legs.

OP posts:
Please
or

IglesiasPiggl · 19/09/2022 07:50

I am a pear shape, so bigger on the bottom than the top. I hate pockets in trousers, skirts, dresses and pj's and would never buy anything except jeans with pockets. They bag at the sides on me, and ruin the line of the garment. Although it's cool on MN to like voluminous pockets in everything, I suspect the purchasing reality in women's clothes does not reflect this.

Please
or

EfficientDynamics · 19/09/2022 07:58

Ask M&S?

Please
or

WrinklesShminkles · 19/09/2022 09:01

TizerorFizz · 19/09/2022 07:22

Happy not to have big pockets in jeans. Prefer a sleek look and a decent bag. Who used jeans pockets? Not even DH!

So leave your pockets empty or sew them up. I want pockets deep enough to slip my phone in.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?