Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

That's a bit bloody sexist, M&S!

127 replies

GreeboIsMySpiritAnimal · 16/09/2022 16:57

Popped in earlier to collect an order, and the collection point is next to Menswear. On my way through I noticed they had some "Stormwear" jeans - water resistant ones. "What a good idea! I'll head down to womens wear next and see what styles they do them in."

The answer? None. At all. Loads of different styles of jeans, but no Stormwear ones. Checking the app reveals they actually only make them for men. Why? Do women not get wet in the rain? Do we just stay inside when it drizzles? Or are our menfolk supposed to gallantly be on hand to shelter us under their umbrella whenever it rains?

And before anyone says "well you you could just buy the mens ones", no I can't, because they don't come in a small enough size.

Why don't women get to have dry legs??!

OP posts:
Please
or

mandolinwind · 19/09/2022 09:04

GreeboIsMySpiritAnimal · 19/09/2022 07:38

Got a life, thanks. Would also like dry legs.

As I've said upthread: the "Stormwear" finish on men's trousers is neither waterproof nor water resistant.

Please
or

UnclePastuso · 19/09/2022 09:06

Appreciate it isn’t the point but check out Açai Outdoor for water resistant good performance jeans for women including small ones.

Please
or

Discovereads · 19/09/2022 09:11

mandolinwind · 19/09/2022 09:04

As I've said upthread: the "Stormwear" finish on men's trousers is neither waterproof nor water resistant.

Exactly. It’s just a “manly” adjective to encourage men to buy their jeans. The Magic Shaping jeans for women are also neither magic nor do they alter your body shape.

Please
or

rwalker · 19/09/2022 09:15

Retailers don’t care about gender or sexism if they thought they could sell them there’d be racks of them
shop space is a premium so it’s what would be most in demand rather than gender equality

Please
or

Databe · 19/09/2022 09:18

The in your face advertising of women's underwear is quite gross too. Lacey strewn models over the canteen style cafe. Is that meant to be sexy? Because it's a turn off for me.

Please
or

liveforsummer · 19/09/2022 09:18

Isn't that like around size 6? And you reckon it's just the "normal human woman" size?
Anyone over a size 6 is outside the norm... 🤔. Do give over, ffs!

A 30 inch waist is a size 12 when buying woman's jeans in inches. A 27 is a 9 where individual inches are sold. This has been the case since I was buying Levi's in inch sizes in the early 90's so not changed with vanity sizing (not to say they are actually true to size though - varies massively store to store and within styles) but many women won't fit mens jeans in the smallest size and won't necessarily like the style either

Please
or

NeckFanInSoftPlay · 19/09/2022 09:48

@Precipice Nice bit of fat shaming there, nice! Hmm

Please
or

KirstenBlest · 19/09/2022 09:52

TizerorFizz · 19/09/2022 07:22

Happy not to have big pockets in jeans. Prefer a sleek look and a decent bag. Who used jeans pockets? Not even DH!

Because I have a front door that will sometimes slam shut and I can be locked out, so even if just putting things in the bin, I need my house key. I'm not going to carry a handbag with me when I am about a metre away from the door.

Please
or

NeckFanInSoftPlay · 19/09/2022 09:52

@mandolinwind I mean, if we really want to get into sexism, using terms like "Saturday girl" is a little bit sexist, is it not? As you never hear of a "Saturday boy"

Please
or

TheOrigRights · 19/09/2022 10:06

ouch321 · 16/09/2022 21:25

This is one of the 'best' check out how skinny I am, I'm so so tiny I wouldn't even fit into the smallest men's size stealth boasts I've seen so far on here.

Don't be ridiculous. They are cut differently. I am slim and athletic in build but I am not straight. Mens jeans have no hips and sit lower.

Please
or

cannaethink · 19/09/2022 10:08

Same with wool socks. Loads of them in the mens. Plain colours and a normal thickness rather than boot socks. There’s one option in the women’s, and they’re thick, garish colours and ankle length.
Luckily I’ve got big feet!

Please
or

mandolinwind · 19/09/2022 11:10

@mandolinwind I mean, if we really want to get into sexism, using terms like "Saturday girl" is a little bit sexist, is it not? As you never hear of a "Saturday boy"

In the late 60s, early 70s, M&S employed "Saturday boys" and they were referred to as "Saturday boys". They did not work on the shop floor.

Please
or

mandolinwind · 19/09/2022 11:12

mandolinwind · 19/09/2022 11:10

In the late 60s, early 70s, M&S employed "Saturday boys" and they were referred to as "Saturday boys". They did not work on the shop floor.

Littlewoods (where I also worked in the 60s) also employed "Saturday boys".

Please
or

Randomword6 · 19/09/2022 11:17

GreeboIsMySpiritAnimal · 16/09/2022 22:30

I remember being furious the day I noticed my 6 month old son has more pockets than I did. What does a baby need to put in his pockets?!

😂😂😂

Please
or

mandolinwind · 19/09/2022 11:18

I quite like the quality of some Matalan clothing, but I've noticed, for example, with jogging bottoms, that the men's tend to have more choice in all cotton or cotton rich but the women's are often cheaper fabrics like polyester or polyester mix.

Please
or

bodie1890 · 19/09/2022 11:36

I agree OP, but I do wonder if it's society-driven rather than the retailer.

Maybe women generally just don't want Stormwear jeans from M&S so that's why they don't make them? They do market research after all so maybe there's just no demand, because women buy them from Mountain Warehouse or somewhere else?

I suspect it might be similar about pockets on jeans. If they actually brought in jeans for women with big pockets, some people would want them (I would!) but maybe it's just a fact that they sell more women's jeans with small pockets, because that's what most people want.

I just think it's more complex than M&S being sexist. It's probably driven by a sexist society.

Please
or

bodie1890 · 19/09/2022 11:39

TheOrigRights · 19/09/2022 10:06

Don't be ridiculous. They are cut differently. I am slim and athletic in build but I am not straight. Mens jeans have no hips and sit lower.

Yeah, this is ridiculous.

"Just buy them from the men's section - they make them in your size!" is not actually a solution, anyway.

OP is pointing out that M&S are promoting the idea that only men need waterproof trousers - i.e. the whole point is that they are not in the women's section.

"You can buy them in the men's section" is not a good response to that.

Please
or

gemsgv · 19/09/2022 11:45

The men's section seem to be lacking in leggings. Very sexist

Please
or

GreeboIsMySpiritAnimal · 19/09/2022 11:55

gemsgv · 19/09/2022 11:45

The men's section seem to be lacking in leggings. Very sexist

Very few men want to wear leggings.

Most women want to stay dry in the rain.

OP posts:
Please
or

Pigtailsandall · 19/09/2022 12:29

I went to the theatre last night without a bag. In the security check they asked where my bag was. Proudly, I said, No bag today!
NO BAG?!? The security (lady) exclaimed.
It was wonderful, like going commando but better.

More pockets on everything, please, if you are reading, retailers.

Please
or

mandolinwind · 19/09/2022 12:36

I was referring to the late 60s early 70s - over 50 years ago!

Saturday staff in stores were usually still at school - 15 to 17 year olds. They were known as "Saturday girls" and "Saturday boys" to distinguish them from the full and part time staff who tended to be older women. I don't recall any of the girls I worked with being uncomfortable with the term "Saturday girl". There were a lot of staff needed in stores in those days as each counter had at least one and sometimes two assistants responsible for it.

What was sexist was the fact that in some stores, the Saturday "boys" were paid at a slightly higher hourly rate than the Saturday "girls" even though they were the same age and doing the same jobs.

Please
or

Moonatics · 19/09/2022 12:37

TizerorFizz · 18/09/2022 23:29

You all need to get a life! I just buy jeans!

Yeah but pockets?

If I too could have capacious pockets in my womens jeans (and none of those bloody fake front pockets on jeggings) I would wear womens jeans. Until that day happens I'll carry on wearing mens.
On the off chance no one already knows, mens shorts have soooo many pockets I can actually fit all my stuff in them AND my phone disappears into any of the pockets not stick out like ot does in my jeggings back pocket.
And now I've written pocket so many times its lost all meaning

Pocket, pocket, pocket, pocket, pocket, pocket, pocket

Please
or

Moonatics · 19/09/2022 13:04

bodie1890 · 19/09/2022 11:36

I agree OP, but I do wonder if it's society-driven rather than the retailer.

Maybe women generally just don't want Stormwear jeans from M&S so that's why they don't make them? They do market research after all so maybe there's just no demand, because women buy them from Mountain Warehouse or somewhere else?

I suspect it might be similar about pockets on jeans. If they actually brought in jeans for women with big pockets, some people would want them (I would!) but maybe it's just a fact that they sell more women's jeans with small pockets, because that's what most people want.

I just think it's more complex than M&S being sexist. It's probably driven by a sexist society.

I think theres more to it.
All the mens clothing I've bought for myself lasts years and years. With thousands of wears and washes. Everything I buy that's womens I'm lucky to get a couple of years out of it.
So as examples
Several womens jackets I have, at the one year mark have bits fallen off in the wash like leather trim, aglets, pocket flap either gone or hanging off. Yes in some cases I can fix it or get it fixed. At the two year mark they look like rags.

Some mens drawstring shorts from over five years ago in primark still have the aglets attached, they have been worn for longer, washed more than any other womens clothing I own, yet still look pretty good if faded.

A mens fleece jacket from berghaus and a womans bought at the same time, all the zips on the womens jacket fucked, it's no longer useable, only one zip on the mens is buggered and I think it actually got caught in the machine.
How can things like aglets stay on mens clothing so much longer, how do zips work for longer etc?
Could it actually be a self perpetuating thing, women buy more clothes because ours are worn out quicker? Or are ours made with no care so that we have to buy more.

Please
or

TheOrigRights · 19/09/2022 13:22

Everything I buy that's womens I'm lucky to get a couple of years out of it.

That's not my experience at all. I have a Berghaus rain coat I bought in the mid 90s that's not got a thing wrong with it, and it's got some stories to tell!
Also outdoor wear fleeces, my walking boots, a normal winter down jacket bought about 20 years ago. All in great condition.
I have jumpers that have lasted years.

Please
or

TheOrigRights · 19/09/2022 13:24

GreeboIsMySpiritAnimal · 19/09/2022 11:55

Very few men want to wear leggings.

Most women want to stay dry in the rain.

And they can, but maybe M&S isn't the place to go. It's more of a fashion store.
As PP have said the Stormwear thing is a bit of a gimmick. I wouldn't ever think of jeans as something to wear in the rain if I wanted to keep properly dry.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?