Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

That's a bit bloody sexist, M&S!

127 replies

GreeboIsMySpiritAnimal · 16/09/2022 16:57

Popped in earlier to collect an order, and the collection point is next to Menswear. On my way through I noticed they had some "Stormwear" jeans - water resistant ones. "What a good idea! I'll head down to womens wear next and see what styles they do them in."

The answer? None. At all. Loads of different styles of jeans, but no Stormwear ones. Checking the app reveals they actually only make them for men. Why? Do women not get wet in the rain? Do we just stay inside when it drizzles? Or are our menfolk supposed to gallantly be on hand to shelter us under their umbrella whenever it rains?

And before anyone says "well you you could just buy the mens ones", no I can't, because they don't come in a small enough size.

Why don't women get to have dry legs??!

OP posts:
Please
or

Precipice · 19/09/2022 18:30

@NeckFanInSoftPlay the terrible "fat shaming" of... not agreeing with you about roughly what women's size compares to what men's size or what? I comment based on my own experience of wearing men's jeans and shorts.

Please
or

Mandypocket · 20/09/2022 12:48

KirstenBlest · 19/09/2022 09:52

Because I have a front door that will sometimes slam shut and I can be locked out, so even if just putting things in the bin, I need my house key. I'm not going to carry a handbag with me when I am about a metre away from the door.

Absolutely! if we suddenly took away all men's pockets and said "there you go, there's a nice bag" there'd be an uproar! We've just got used to being a nice to have and not an essential, which is should be.

Please
or

TabbyM · 23/09/2022 15:42

Coatings on trousers can be toxic.

I am peeved that they have men's "trekking trousers" - lightweight walking trousers with many pockets and removeable legs so you can wear them as shorts but nothing similar for women. And yes I have tried the outdoor shops but they seem to be more leggings at the moment.

Please
or

TheOrigRights · 23/09/2022 15:47

TabbyM · 23/09/2022 15:42

Coatings on trousers can be toxic.

I am peeved that they have men's "trekking trousers" - lightweight walking trousers with many pockets and removeable legs so you can wear them as shorts but nothing similar for women. And yes I have tried the outdoor shops but they seem to be more leggings at the moment.

Have you tried Decathlon for what I call Action Slacks? I love my zip offs, even if I do look like Wee Jimmy Krankie when they're in shorts mode (I have knobbly knees!).

Please
or

ArseInTheCoOpWindow · 23/09/2022 16:51

Happy not to have big pockets in jeans. Prefer a sleek look and a decent bag. Who used jeans pockets? Not even DH

l use mine all the time. Phone in back pocket. Lip balm in one of front pockets . It’s all l take out.

You can’t have jeans without pockets, because then they aren’t jeans. They’re called ‘5 pocket Westerns’

Please
or

BigFatLiar · 23/09/2022 22:03

OH wears womens jeans. He has short legs and can't get mens jeans that don't need shortening. He can get womens jeans with short legs that fit. There were some mens jeans with short legs but they also had a shorter rise so they weren't comfortable.

Please
or

Lilgamesh2 · 23/09/2022 22:13

Last time I was in M&S they were selling a packet of plain black socks in the mens section for £5 and the identical womens version for £6.

Twats.

Please
or

TheOrigRights · 24/09/2022 12:34

Last time I was in M&S they were selling a packet of plain black socks in the mens section for £5 and the identical womens version for £6.

Twats.

Were they different in any way? i.e. what made them the women's version?

Please
or

gogohmm · 24/09/2022 12:43

To be honest, retailers sell products that their market research department thinks will be profitable. Designers create products, samples are made and some are selected for production. I'm female and do have water resistant cargo trousers but from mountain warehouse, I wouldn't buy outdoor gear from M&S whereas men often buy outdoor styled gear for everyday (I don't). The pocket situation however is ridiculous... deep pockets for all!!!

Shout out to the manufacturer of my womens motorbike Kevlar jeans - they have full sized pockets and are water resistant! (You can remove the extra padding from them making them into standard styled jeans but at £140 they aren't a cheap option!)

Please
or

gogohmm · 24/09/2022 12:46

@mandolinwind

I have a size 14 M&S suit circa 1997 that the skirt doesn't fit over my thighs and jacket doesn't close yet I bought a skirt and jacket in size 12 (skirt) and 14 (jacket) 3 weeks ago that are roomy... vanity sizing is definitely 2 sizes I recon

Please
or

Lilgamesh2 · 24/09/2022 14:08

@TheOrigRights they were the same colour (black) and material but one was on the women's floor and one was on the men's floor.

I only noticed because both my DH and I were buying socks that day!

This was around 3 years ago maybe.

Please
or

5128gap · 24/09/2022 14:26

They make them in a junior range that goes up to 13-14 years. If you're not tall they might work.

Please
or

ImNotGreta · 24/09/2022 14:32

They don’t seem to do skirts in men’s styles either, which is just as bad. Their heels seem to be mainly designed with women’s typical feet sizes in mind too.

Please
or

ImNotGreta · 24/09/2022 14:34

GreeboIsMySpiritAnimal · 16/09/2022 21:43

Unless I'm missing something, the mens jeans start at a 30" waist and I need a 27". So not a skinny brag, just "normal human woman size" requirement.

They go down to 28.

Please
or

ImNotGreta · 24/09/2022 14:40

GreeboIsMySpiritAnimal · 19/09/2022 11:55

Very few men want to wear leggings.

Most women want to stay dry in the rain.

If there was enough of a demand for them in women’s sizes then they’d probably sell them.

Please
or

rwalker · 25/09/2022 11:27

Twats.

They probably sell a bigger volume of mens socks so bigger volume cheaper price

Please
or

Janearwin · 02/10/2022 10:31

It’s not sexist it’s just that they don’t have it in women’s sizes or style if I can’t find my specific size on clothes I don’t call it discrimination to people my size what probably happened was that most women or girls wouldn’t buy it or the company wouldn’t think that they would get a lot of sales if they made it in women’s sizes therefore they didn’t take the risk due to them having to manufacture and ship the materials from different countries I find it frustrating that you calling it sexist and blowing it out of proportion.

Please
or

Mandypocket · 03/10/2022 15:01

It's a chicken and egg thing, surely? Retailers don't sell the stuff with pockets, or that keep women's legs dry so women don't buy them , so they think women don't want them, so don't stock them, so women don't buy them

Please
or

Gwenhwyfar · 09/10/2022 12:47

ouch321 · 16/09/2022 21:25

This is one of the 'best' check out how skinny I am, I'm so so tiny I wouldn't even fit into the smallest men's size stealth boasts I've seen so far on here.

Don't be silly. Many, many (maybe even most) women wouldn't fit into men's trousers, if not for the waist measurement, for the leg length.

Please
or

KirstenBlest · 09/10/2022 16:03

It's not silly, @Gwenhwyfar , women can fit into the men's sizes. In the example pair of M&S trousers I looked at, they come in leg lengths 29", 31" and 33", and waist sizes 32 to 44. Some styles are available in a 27" inside leg and 28 waist.

Please
or

Begoniasforever · 09/10/2022 16:10

27 waist is size 8. I don’t really get all this it was a size 12 nearly a century ago. Who cares what it was a century ago

op lots of places do womens water proof trousers.

Please
or

TheOrigRights · 09/10/2022 16:19

KirstenBlest · 09/10/2022 16:03

It's not silly, @Gwenhwyfar , women can fit into the men's sizes. In the example pair of M&S trousers I looked at, they come in leg lengths 29", 31" and 33", and waist sizes 32 to 44. Some styles are available in a 27" inside leg and 28 waist.

Unless you are quite boyish round your hips won't they be a bit snug on your bum 🍑

Please
or

KirstenBlest · 09/10/2022 16:29

@Begoniasforever , I have clothes from the 1990s. They are much smaller than the clothes of the same 'size' now.
If you buy clothes on auction sites, a size 10 St Michael skirt won't fit someone who is a M&S size 10 today.

If you make your own clothes, the sewing pattern sizes are usually much smaller than the clothes in the shops

Please
or

Gwenhwyfar · 09/10/2022 17:19

"Some styles are available in a 27" inside leg and 28 waist."

But a 27 inch leg with a 32 inch waist?
As a short woman I just can't wear men's clothes. Most women's trousers are too long for me, how would men's work?

Please
or

FelicityRelaxington · 09/10/2022 17:21

Uniqlo sell fleece lined joggers! (Sorry, forgot who mentioned them)

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?