My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

For beauty and fashion style advice, join in our Style forum chat.

Style & Beauty

Feel a right mess - can someone give some easy tips for being a well-groomed type person?

160 replies

dinny · 28/05/2007 10:45

Feel I have no time to ever get ready properly and do stuff like pluck eyebrows etc. What's your weekly maintenance routine, all groomed types?

OP posts:
JackieNo · 01/06/2007 17:48

KarWildCard - Liz Earle stuff is lovely, and very gentle - she has eczema herself, I believe.

dinny · 01/06/2007 18:45

Origins stuff is so lovely. I usually just use a Clarins serum underneath Oil Of Olay beauty lotio in the day and then a Number 7 night cream.

OP posts:
PersephonePlease · 01/06/2007 18:58

GHD are lifesavers!

also, add a drop of nail varnish remover to the gloopy nail varnish and it should make it thinner and non gloopy!

I do v little but feel inspired by this thread to have my nails and eyebrows done and get a hair cut!! Last had it cut in November

And DH said I was looking a bit rough the other day so I should try harder!

bamamama · 01/06/2007 20:53

Ok, this thread has inspired me so much that I've finally (after years of saying that I should) gone and had a proper bra fitting. It's incredible!!! I've worn a 36DD for more years than I care to remember and it turns out I'm a 32E. The difference, although you wouldn't think it, is amazing to the extent that after I put ds to bed I tried on loads of my old tops just to see the difference. So, my top grooming tip from now on is make sure you're wearing the right size bra! (dontcha just hate the righteous converted...)

Oncebitten · 01/06/2007 23:59

It is a very inspiring thread. I'm going to paste it into word, i don't have enough time to focus on myself in this way at the mo. (Although, I have been plucking and shaving a tad more than usual, since reading!) I will be able to come back to the advice at a later date then. Oh and the mobile beautician idea is brill! Shall be looking for one of those anon!

Skribble · 02/06/2007 00:16

Well as the sun is out and I have to stop hiding in my woolies I have decided to make an effort, so..
New hair cut, bit less mumsy and easy to style.
New straightners, (only 9.99 Watt Brothers) but wow so much better than my old ones that took ages to heat up.
Daily shower and face cleansing.
New eye cream.
Eyes plucked every day
Apply moisturiser and sun cream everyday.
Feet have been taken under control and looking good, really nice Boots stuff to moisturise feet and I use it on my elbows and knees too.
Need to exfoliate and de fuzz legs, then strat daily tanning stuff.
Arm pits will be attended to in due coarse also, once DH get a new razor in.

Skribble · 02/06/2007 00:17

Oh and I have new bras too, must chuck out the rubbish ones.

Skribble · 02/06/2007 00:18

£6 each or 2 for £10 in M&S, all sort including t-shirt bras.

dinny · 02/06/2007 12:10

has anyone tried sugaring for bikini line?

OP posts:
chonky · 02/06/2007 19:01

olive, or anyone else - do you put the pink shimmer stuff drom No7 all over your face, or do you use it like Benefit Highbeam (just on cheekbones)?

DearBeatrice · 03/06/2007 13:12

fab thread;

my tip is clinique almost make-up. i'm v fair skinned and love the way that this makes my skin look like a baby's - soft & not made up but covers enough

read this with interest, as i've been a bliss customer and been to various spa's over the years. i just find it so hard to get into a routine where i do these things regularly enough to look polished most of the time!

franch · 03/06/2007 14:06

I've never felt so well groomed and 'put together' as I have since having a 'Spree' with the personal shopper at TopShop. I intend to insist on one of these every Christmas & birthday from now to eternity.

Tinted moisturisers etc don't work for me as I have very visible pores. Am going to try lafrog's Clarins thing

Lazylou · 03/06/2007 14:10

I read this thread a couple of days ago and went and treated myself to some new trousers and some tops. I'm even wearing mascara every day now!!!

Thanks everyone, still got some way to go but I'm feeling better already. I just need a new hair-do that is quick and easy to straighten without being too short. I've got really frizzy, thick, unruly hair and always wear it tied back so something different would be nice

Roux · 03/06/2007 14:49

dinny - I use the bodyshop sugaring stuff for my bikini line. Also for legs, armpits and eyebrows

It's brilliant stuff. Easier than wax as it is water soluble and so washes off easily with soap and water

Don't know where I'd be if they stopped making it...

...ah, yes I do..I'd be a horrible hairy munter and would be awarded the top prize in the 'Mrs Hirsute Beaver of the Year' competition

snowwonder · 03/06/2007 14:56

i have never understood the sugaring stiff
do yoou still rip it off like wax?

Roux · 03/06/2007 16:01

snowwonder - the bodyshop sugaring stuff is used just like wax. Heat it up, spread it on and then whip it off with cotton strips.

Less painful than waxing because it doesn't stick to your skin like a wax does

Traditionally I think the art of sugaring is done with a paste which is applied to the skin and flicked off (?)

noori · 03/06/2007 16:28

i have 4 sisters and we all have kids under 7 so we get together while one looks after the kids the others give each other facials, waxing and manicures and pedicures and makeovers feels great.

i make my own sugaring using lemons and sugar and water, also toouche eclat concelear is godsend for those dark circles under the eyes.

Roux · 03/06/2007 16:37

hey noori, would you let me have your sugaring 'recipe'?

I'd love to give it a try, if it works it would save me a fortune

McDreamy · 03/06/2007 16:38

Drink plenty of water
Get hair cut regularily.
Keep nails trim and clean.
Moisturise hands, face and feet daily (I once read that the best moisturiser you can use for yor face MUST have a SPF)
Eat sensibly
Exercise at least 3 x a week
Keep eyebrows legs and bikini line trim
Chuck out all underwear that is past it. Makes me feel better if I have nice underwear on!!
Take your make up off every night before you go to bed and brush your teeth

This is what I try to do!!!

MellowMa · 03/06/2007 16:58

Message withdrawn

jackjacksmum · 03/06/2007 19:10

Hi there, I have just been reading the threads and the tips are fantastic. Makes me feel really tired though - where I am I going to find the time to do it all?

Lazylou · 03/06/2007 19:13

I know the feeling JJM! Went out yesterday and bought a few little bits and pieces, one of them being that Johnsons Holiday Skin partly because I'm finding that I need to moisturise my legs after I have shaved them but partly because I'm a bit pasty and thought it might be better that proper fake tan.

Does it work? It wasn't very expensive so I'm not too bothered, just dont want to look streaky lol.

I would also be interested in the sugaring thing as my bikini line has never ever been taken care of (although I do the trimming everywhere else) but this is partly due to ignorance and not knowing how to do it or what it should look like.

franch · 04/06/2007 15:34

Bought my mitts today

franch · 04/06/2007 15:38
  • oh - and a nail buffer - never used one before - good tip, it does make a difference
dinny · 04/06/2007 19:19

Franch - used your mitts yet?

also, can I ask how much your Topshop spree cost (ish...)???

just off to go on x-trainer now....

OP posts:
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.