My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

For beauty and fashion style advice, join in our Style forum chat.

Style & Beauty

Feel a right mess - can someone give some easy tips for being a well-groomed type person?

160 replies

dinny · 28/05/2007 10:45

Feel I have no time to ever get ready properly and do stuff like pluck eyebrows etc. What's your weekly maintenance routine, all groomed types?

OP posts:
colditz · 30/05/2007 09:45

ANNIEMAC, THE ANSWER IS TO STOP FIGHTING IT! eNCOURAGE THE CURL, IT'LL ONLY SNEAK IN ANYWAY.

anniemac · 30/05/2007 09:47

This reply has been deleted

Message withdrawn

oliveoil · 30/05/2007 09:53

I use the frizz ease serum, then shove the Secret Agent cream (link further down) on when WET.

when it dries, it curls in lovely waves

you can also put it on dry hair, as I did this morning, to smooth frizz down

my hair looks far better straight, but who has the time to faff about?

my hair has gone darker AND curlier since having children , in addition to my hairy lip

anniemac · 30/05/2007 09:57

Message withdrawn

colditz · 30/05/2007 10:00

Oh anniemac, I know that shouldn't be funny but it is - nobody noticed you hadf alopecia!

I have the same sort of hair, rough and sticky-our, and I find a bit of wax helps to tame it.

anniemac · 30/05/2007 10:13

Message withdrawn

oliveoil · 30/05/2007 10:35

ROFL at pencil cases

SuGaRCoAteDPoiSOn · 30/05/2007 10:42

ooh anniemac, our hair must be twinned with each other

I know exactly how you feel.. my hair's a perpetual disaster. If I don't wash it every day then it becomes more and more brillopad-like the longer i leave it and after 3 days I always give in and do it, lol. It does look fab with straighteners but it takes forever and only lasts for the day

my top tip for fingernails is something called nailmagic. It's just a clear polish but it really strengthens and helps them grow healthily. Only ever found it in John Lewis and it's about a tenner but worth every penny

puddle · 30/05/2007 10:44

I have really thick hair too which is prone to frizz. I don't wash it very often - twice a week max. It always looks better the second or third day. I use the John Frieda serum for coarse hair on it when wet(lots) and then spray with the finishing serum (lots). I recommend a proper hair cut - for a while I thought because it was long and thick I didn't have to make much effort with it but have just had it cut into a short bob (ear lobe length) and it's v easy to do and looks good most of the time.

Anniemac at least you and I will never be bald old ladies.

ghosty · 30/05/2007 10:56

I would never have described myself as well groomed ... until the last year or so.

All I can say is: GHD

If you can get hold of a pair (yes, expensive I know), DO ... they work wonders. Once you know how to use them - it takes me 5 minutes every morning to turn my fluffy hair into a 'do' that looks like I have just been to the hairdressers - honestly, no kidding!!!

I also have a good, skincare routine: Cleanse, tone, moisturise 2x a day, without fail.
I wear make-up just about every day. If not foundation then definitely a bit of powder, mascara and lipstick.
I do my hair just about every day - the only time I don't is if I absolutely know I am not doing anything ... ie, not going out at all ... and that is rare.
I have my hair 'done' every 8 weeks - without fail (coloured and styled). This is also a fairly new thing to me ... been doing that for the last 2 years and I really think it makes a difference.
I am getting better at working my wardrobe (buying basics for the season and that kind of thing, taking stuff I haven't worn for 2 years to the charity shop etc etc)
I file my nails regularly (don't have themm 'done' but I keep them looking nice) and keep my eyebrows at bay by getting stray hairs every other day.
I feel naked with bare toenails.

anniemac · 30/05/2007 10:57

Message withdrawn

anniemac · 30/05/2007 10:58

Message withdrawn

maycontainstress · 30/05/2007 11:21

Firstly, this is a great thread. I would like to look groomed but like most of us here, have about 0.00001 minutes to spare in the mornings.

I stopped wearing foundation about a year ago as I found it time consuming and it aged me tremendously. I now use the Touche Eclat (this really is a miracle worker as my bags have eyes and this can be concealed!), I use a black waterproof mascara and a bit of lipgloss.

I admit to unruly eyebrows and disgusting nails. I envy those with pretty hands.

My hair is extremely thick and bouncy/verging on frizzy. I found a WONDERFUL serum in Superdrug, their own brand, about £4, works as well as anything else I've spent a fortune on. You only need a 10p sized amount for a massive blanket of hair like mine and you can let your hair dry naturally. Easy.

I am liking the dress idea but still hunting for appropriate styles for my shape.

colditz · 30/05/2007 11:22

anniemac - just be warned that you might end up looking like crystaltips! (ie big triangle of hair)

have you tried mousse? being as your hair used to be very curly, you may not have bothered with it, but on my frizzy coarse wavy-to-curly hair, mousse produces defined ringlets.

anniemac · 30/05/2007 11:28

Message withdrawn

oliveoil · 30/05/2007 11:33

I used to use a really really good spray for hair, made it look like glass, fab

will look later in Boots as I am off for Medised for dd2 (will buy a gallon drum if they sell it)

I did a link for a dress the other week - in Style under "may I recommend a dress for bulges" or somehting

will find

it is really flattering

colditz · 30/05/2007 11:33

I have empathy, I really do.

But I must add, that when the hairdresser straightened my hair with GHDs, it lay totally flat and dead poker straight.

And I hated it! It made me look really old - drew all the attention to my jowls, and was not forgiving at all.

Hideehi · 30/05/2007 11:34

Something that worked wonders for me is hair extensions. I never had the patience to grow my hair and wanted it long but always gave up at the inbetween stage and went short and made me look like a man.
Anyway I went for waist length wavy locks last week and I love them, I just have to do the fringe and top bit with the GHD's and I'm away, it looks fab.
Am off to get some dresses today

oliveoil · 30/05/2007 11:35

dress thread

anniemac · 30/05/2007 11:36

Message withdrawn

anniemac · 30/05/2007 11:37

Message withdrawn

oliveoil · 30/05/2007 11:39

dh said he didn't like it "when it was in the packet"

fgs, like you can tell when it is in the packet

he likes it on

I love dresses

anniemac · 30/05/2007 11:40

Message withdrawn

danae · 30/05/2007 12:24

Message withdrawn

anniemac · 30/05/2007 13:20

Message withdrawn

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.