My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

For beauty and fashion style advice, join in our Style forum chat.

Style and beauty

Right. i Have to tell you all about coconut hair oil and how Utterly Fab it has made my hair

107 replies

MistyMountainHop · 22/02/2012 10:40

bought some a few weeks ago as i had a bit of a dry scalp and was recommended coconut oil (think it was actually someone on here)

well not only has it completely sorted my dry scalp out, my hair looks the best its ever done. its mega shiny and feels absolutely gorgeous, really silky. it also seems to feel thicker, as if each hair strand is "fatter" somehow iyswim. although i am not sure i am just imagining that bit!

all i have been doing is putting it on my scalp and lengths of my hair the night before i am due to wash my hair (i wash it every 2 days first thing) then tying it into a ponytail

the downside is i look like i have chip fat on my head when i have got it on but it washes out easily in the morning

the stuff i used was an Indian brand from tesco, think its got castor oil in too.

OP posts:
mrsmartin · 22/02/2012 12:00

it is brilliant stuff - I used to use pure cocnut oil years ago - You used to be able to get a big tub for about £3 (not sure about now). I only stopped because it used to take too long to wash out!!

sonicrainboom · 22/02/2012 12:09

I have seen many here recommend Moroccan oil and other such products, but it sounds much more natural and appealing to just use coconut oil. If it goes wrong one can always use it to cook delicious food! Will def try it.

sonicrainboom · 22/02/2012 12:10

Oops noticed that you wrote "hair oil" and not the pure food stuff. Oh well, still going to try the food grade oil :)

SimoneD · 22/02/2012 12:21

I use coconut oil on my face as a night moisturiser, I love it.
Havent used it on my hair though, will give it a go

MissMacross · 22/02/2012 12:38

This reply has been deleted

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

MissFoodie · 22/02/2012 14:36

it was me I think :) I wrote a piece on using coconut oil as a cleanser, you can also eat it and use to make flapjacks, just make sure you buy organic virgin (looks like candle wax in a jar)

teenyweenytadpole · 22/02/2012 17:45

I have just got into coconut oil in a big way, it's done wonders for my scaly skin on my calves and also my psoriasis is looking better than it has done for a while. I've been eating it/cooking with it as well as rubbing it in to my skin. It is quite expensive though. Superdrug sell a cheap version you can use as a moisturiser but this version can't be eaten! Tastes fab on a jacket potato. And I don't know if it's my imagination but I seem to feel fuller than normal, not as hungry. Apparently it's antifungal, antiviral, good for the thyroid, and lots of other things.

mrsmartin · 22/02/2012 17:48

yuck to eating it - I'd rather have a Biscuit...which probably explains my new flabby size 12 self Grin

sonicrainboom · 22/02/2012 17:59

Size 12 is hardly enormous. And coconut oil is delicious as a cakefrosting ingredient :)

Punchthosecalories · 22/02/2012 18:03

Daft question perhaps but is there a difference in coconut milk and coconut oil?

Punchthosecalories · 22/02/2012 18:04

in should read between

Goolash · 22/02/2012 18:04

I love coconut oil, I got some from Boots a few months ago and it's transformed by hair.

Jcee · 22/02/2012 18:28

I love coconut oil too! Have been using it on the ends like missmacross and my hair is in fab condition now. Wondered what it would be like on my scaly legs - might give it a go now

mrsmartin · 22/02/2012 18:33

well size 12 is pretty ginormous to me...Sad

allthequeensmen · 22/02/2012 18:38

Yep, fab for hair, for skin and works as a lip balm.

MissFoodie · 22/02/2012 23:20

the difference between coconut oil and milk, is like the difference between butter and milk! :)
fushi sell a big pot of it which is lovely, very nutty. If you prefer something less "coconutty" then pukka or viridian or coconoil (the last one I think is the cheapest)

Trills · 22/02/2012 23:41

I do have dry hair.

And very fine hair.

Hm.

But the last thing you lot recommended for my hair was moroccan oil and I tried both pure argan oil and branded moroccanoil and neither really did anything very much.

Pinot · 23/02/2012 09:35

I'm using Coconut Oil as a cleanser and on DH's ezcema. Tis great so far. Smells like yummy biccies to me.

Trills I found no instant change from MO or argan, but after a few weeks regular use my hair was transformed. I now use MO on my hair and Argan on my body.

I am lush now Wink

PostBellumBugsy · 23/02/2012 09:41

I love coconut oil for use in cooking & slapping on all over. It is great for skin & works wonders on cracked heels. You can buy huge pots of it in health food stores or online. Fantastic stuff.

musttidyupmusttidyup · 23/02/2012 19:52

Sounds too good to be true! An going to order some Smile. Not sure it'll be much good for my hair though as I wash it at night after running so wouldn't leave it overnight etc. need something I can put in after washing and leave.

musttidyupmusttidyup · 23/02/2012 19:53

Sorry that was meant for another thread!

JoyceDivision · 23/02/2012 20:34

So it's from Tesco nd it's coconut oil? is it in the foor section or beauty bit? Will iunvest tomorrow!

Don’t want to miss threads like this?

Weekly

Sign up to our weekly round up and get all the best threads sent straight to your inbox!

You've subscribed!

teenyweenytadpole · 23/02/2012 21:01

Yes Tescos do have it and it is here www.tesco.com/groceries/Product/Details/?id=268622297

gaunyerseljeannie · 23/02/2012 21:05

mrsmartin are you 3'6"?

JoyceDivision · 23/02/2012 21:13

Thanks teeny, it's much easier when you know what it acually looks like! I would have been looking for abottle of oil! Doh!

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.