Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Summer Holidays - AIBU

SandyWedges · 20/06/2022 15:35

We have shared DC and DH has 2 other DC (my DSC). We all get along fine. Summer holidays are approaching and DH is grumbling as I haven't booked time off work while he has DSC. I just don't see the need to really, DC is at nursery and it feels a little odd to me if the 4 of us all go on a day trip and leave DC out. AIBU? I suppose I could take a couple of days off and go for a meal or shopping but I don't like the idea of all of us being miles away and leaving DC at nursery. Am I being ridiculous?

OP's posts:
Please
or

Bonheurdupasse · 20/06/2022 15:52

No you're perfectly right, he and DSC should be glad to have a few father - kids days

Please
or

Sirzy · 20/06/2022 15:54

Could you take a couple of days off and keep him off nursery for a few days so you can spend some of the time altogether?

Please
or

LidlMissSunshine · 20/06/2022 15:55

He's only grumbling because he has to do all the parenting himself.

Don't waste holiday days bailing him out of his responsibilities.

Please
or

Takenoprisoner · 20/06/2022 15:57

My thoughts entirely.

Please
or

SandyWedges · 20/06/2022 16:26

Sirzy · 20/06/2022 15:54

Could you take a couple of days off and keep him off nursery for a few days so you can spend some of the time altogether?

We could but it seems silly to waste the nursery time we pay for to me.

OP's posts:
Please
or

bjjgirl · 20/06/2022 16:28

This 100%

Please
or

aSofaNearYou · 20/06/2022 16:34

No, he is being ridiculous.

Please
or

mrsm43s · 20/06/2022 16:35

Have you not taken any time off at all over the summer holidays?

It would seem odd to me that your family of DH, you, DSC and DsharedC wouldn't want to spend any time together as a full family.

In the same way as you think it would be odd to go out as a group of 4 and leave your DC out, it would also be odd to book all the family days in the summer holidays leaving your DSC out.

Unless you are literally planning no days out at all with your family over the summer holidays, but I think in most families that would be quite unusual. Most families would book some time off work to spend time together as a family over the summer.

Please
or

Aksbdt · 20/06/2022 16:39

I normally take a week off with DH and DSD and just take our shared DC out of childcare or sometimes I’ve sent them for a couple of days to be able to give DSD a bit of more focused time as I’m quite aware that she now has to share my attention with the younger DC whereas I used to give her a lot of time and attention before they were born
Im all for DH having time with DSD and not passing the childcare responsibilities to me but if I didn’t take any time off my DD would feel like I wasn’t bothered about spending time with her

Please
or

SandyWedges · 20/06/2022 16:43

Have you not taken any time off at all over the summer holidays? there's one day after we go away for a weekend to see DH's parents but I prefer to take them either as and when needed to cover sickness so can't go to nursery or to do things like go shopping by myself.

OP's posts:
Please
or

SandyWedges · 20/06/2022 16:48

Aksbdt · 20/06/2022 16:39

I normally take a week off with DH and DSD and just take our shared DC out of childcare or sometimes I’ve sent them for a couple of days to be able to give DSD a bit of more focused time as I’m quite aware that she now has to share my attention with the younger DC whereas I used to give her a lot of time and attention before they were born
Im all for DH having time with DSD and not passing the childcare responsibilities to me but if I didn’t take any time off my DD would feel like I wasn’t bothered about spending time with her

Ah see I could never do that. I just can't bring myself to take a days holiday to spend with everyone and leave DC out.

OP's posts:
Please
or

Berthatydfil · 20/06/2022 17:02

If you have a nursery aged child it’s sensible to keep your annual leave for illness /nursery closures etc.
Obviously take time off for family trips with all the children but makes no sense at all for you to take annual leave while your own child is in nursery.
Your dh is cross because you aren’t going to be there to do his parenting for him

Please
or

TheViscountessBridgerton · 20/06/2022 17:18

Oh dear. It looks like he's going to have to parent his own children without a female helper. What a pickle!

Please
or

LidlMissSunshine · 20/06/2022 17:30

TheViscountessBridgerton · 20/06/2022 17:18

Oh dear. It looks like he's going to have to parent his own children without a female helper. What a pickle!

Poor poor man. I imagine he’ll cope by somehow making it all OP’s fault for being an evil witch.

Please
or

Aroundtheworldin80moves · 20/06/2022 17:38

What age? A few dedicated father days without a preschool child to do older child activities sounds like a dream to many families!

Please
or

funinthesun19 · 20/06/2022 17:44

He’s being ridiculous. Your annual leave is precious and it’s understandable that you would want to prioritise your limited free time on other things over days out with DSC/looking after DSC.

Please
or

SandyWedges · 20/06/2022 18:04

Berthatydfil · 20/06/2022 17:02

If you have a nursery aged child it’s sensible to keep your annual leave for illness /nursery closures etc.
Obviously take time off for family trips with all the children but makes no sense at all for you to take annual leave while your own child is in nursery.
Your dh is cross because you aren’t going to be there to do his parenting for him

Thats what I thought they close the nursery so often I need my leave!

I don't know if it's wholly down to me not parenting but yeah he's probably thinking he's going to get bored! I've told him if he can think of a suitable day trip for all of us I'll take one day off.

OP's posts:
Please
or

SandyWedges · 20/06/2022 18:05

And if anything we're going to have to get used to not being off together for when DC goes to school. I'll have to time my holiday for times he doesn't have the DSC then otherwise its going to get messy.

OP's posts:
Please
or

tootrueblue · 20/06/2022 18:18

I disagree. I think as a family, things shouldn't always revolve around your shared child. If they're in nursery, what's wrong with spending the day with the older kids doing something they enjoy (and having a break from work)?

Please
or

Youseethethingis1 · 20/06/2022 18:31

Don't most parents revolve their annual leave around their children, with the odd day for themselves if they are lucky? It's not some strange concept or privilege reserved only for ex wives 🙄

Please
or

LilyMarshall · 20/06/2022 18:34

This. He wants you there to share the load. Or plan the activities.

Please
or

aSofaNearYou · 20/06/2022 18:34

tootrueblue · 20/06/2022 18:18

I disagree. I think as a family, things shouldn't always revolve around your shared child. If they're in nursery, what's wrong with spending the day with the older kids doing something they enjoy (and having a break from work)?

It would not occur to me on any level to take time off work to spend the day with someone else's kids, I don't even do it with my own unless it's a specific occasion, I certainly wouldn't do it for someone else's.

Please
or

Feelingoktoday · 20/06/2022 18:40

aSofaNearYou · 20/06/2022 18:34

It would not occur to me on any level to take time off work to spend the day with someone else's kids, I don't even do it with my own unless it's a specific occasion, I certainly wouldn't do it for someone else's.

But they are not someone else’s kids - they are her partners kids.

do you not all have a holiday together? Do you and your partner not want to spend time with all of the kids? I’m not suggesting you take the whole time off but not to take anytime seems odd.

Please
or

HerRoyalNotness · 20/06/2022 18:42

This was my first thought too

Please
or

SandyWedges · 20/06/2022 18:45

Feelingoktoday · 20/06/2022 18:40

But they are not someone else’s kids - they are her partners kids.

do you not all have a holiday together? Do you and your partner not want to spend time with all of the kids? I’m not suggesting you take the whole time off but not to take anytime seems odd.

We're having a weekend away to see DH's parents. No holidays, cost of living crisis and all that.

OP's posts:
Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.