My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

This topic is for sponsored discussions. If you'd like to run one with us, please email [email protected].

MNHQ have commented on this thread

Sponsored threads

Share how you make your children’s food win-win with Soreen - £200 voucher to be won

230 replies

CeriMumsnet · 04/01/2021 09:27

This discussion is now closed

As a parent it can be tricky to make sure our children are enjoying a healthy, balanced diet, especially if we are now busy juggling work with home-schooling and the biscuit tin is within reach. Ensuring that their meals are nutritious enough to give us peace of mind but won’t go untouched, or that we’re stocked up with the right snacks to keep our children fuelled and able to concentrate throughout the day is a constant balance to strike, whether your DC are staying at home or still going into school this lockdown. With this in mind, Soreen would like to hear your stories and tips about making your kids’ foods ‘win-win.’

Here’s what Soreen has to say: "It’s only natural for parents to want to give their children what they ask for however, as we all know this can’t be done, especially when it comes to snacks.

And now with many families spending more time indoors and trying to balance work and home-schooling it can be even more tempting to say ‘yes’ to visiting the treat cupboard, especially if it means you might get some peace and quiet for your next virtual meeting.

With Soreen Lunchbox Loaves there is finally a treat you and your kids can both agree on. Containing 50% less sugar than the average cake bar, a source of fibre and low in saturated fat they’re a healthier alternative (don’t tell the kids!) that takes the guilt out of saying ‘yes’. They’re available in four squidgy and delicious fruity flavours; banana, apple, malt and strawberry, and come individually wrapped in a pack of 5 mini loaves - perfect for each day of the school week."

So have you resorted to hiding vegetables in your pasta sauces to ensure your DC get their 5 a day? Do you opt for low in sugar alternatives to your children’s favourite snacks, or have you set a lockdown snack-time routine that works for your family? Perhaps you teach your children about the importance of a balanced diet by saving dessert for the weekend?

Whatever your tips for making your children’s food win-win, all who post on this thread will be entered into a prize draw where one lucky MNer will win a £200 voucher for a store of their choice (from a list).

Thanks and good luck with the prize draw!

MNHQ

Insight T&Cs apply

Share how you make your children’s food win-win with Soreen - £200 voucher to be won
OP posts:
alwaysataldi · 24/01/2021 09:28

I offered a range of pureed vegetables at weaning, sweet potato, parsnip, carrot, apple, pear, and apricot. My children will happily eat most fruit, but I struggle with green vegetables (broccoli, cabbage and sprouts) - but my cheese and broccoli soup goes down a treat (with garlic bread) If I'm making cottage pie - I always add courgette, carrot and yellow and red pepper. Juice is always sugar and additive free (not when we are children and it had every colourant going Angry
I have managed recently to include spinach with my chicken casseroles, and they have eaten that - so that's one 'green' one off the list
I have been told roasted sprouts are nice - but not tried those yet.

problembottom · 24/01/2021 12:49

My daughter is two and has always been a brilliant eater until a few months ago when she became fussy about her food.

My top tips are to get her to make dinners with me - she’s much more likely to eat it if I put it down praising her for making the meal. If she pushes away her plate I find if I don’t react and find she will sometimes go back to it. And I don’t like to offer alternatives beyond toast or yoghurt as I think that encourages the fussiness.

Crowsandshivers · 24/01/2021 19:16

I always put one new thing on their plate alongside 'safe' food. I don't expect them to eat it but I do encourage them to try. My son is getting much better at trying things and he gets a sticker each time he does.

Ikeameatballs · 24/01/2021 19:31

My kids like raw carrots, cherry tomatoes and cucumber sticks even now they are older.

Theimpossiblegirl · 24/01/2021 20:00

I stick to what I know they will eat for packed lunches, they need to eat in a limited time and have enough energy to get through the day. We try lots of new things, but at home or (back when we could) eating out. My DDs aren't picky eaters but I'd hate to think they went hungry because I'd put something they didn't like in their packed lunch.

Isawthathaggis · 24/01/2021 20:12

I allow my children to cover everything (all homemade and from scratch) in tomato sauce.
I get the last laugh because I buy the low salt/sugar version.

Sixgeese · 24/01/2021 20:12

I have stocked the freezer with frozen fruit and taught the children to use a mixture of it and milk to make a iced smoothie every morning.

I am also giving carrot sticks as snacks and grating carrots to add into mince dishes.

Homemade soup with whatever veg I can find is another good one.

My children are teenagers but it can be hard getting them to eat the right foods, especially as the school is still running a staggered timetable so two have lunch between 12 and 1 and the oldest between 1 and 2.

cowriesky · 24/01/2021 21:37

I find that by involving the kids in what I buy and make gets them to eagerly try new food, and healthier options. My eldest helps me do the online shop, and even has her own recipe book that she attempts to make recipes from. My youngest will happily sit on the kitchen counter and peel veg, touch squidgy mushrooms and foreign looking courgettes before bravely trying them in a cooked meal. I never would have believed it, had I not tried it myself but involving the kids gets them prepared to give new food a go, and discover some exciting new favourites!

sbruin1122 · 24/01/2021 22:48

we never have any food issues. we tried all sorts at an early age and its helped us out now.

Cliffdonville · 25/01/2021 06:24

I make sure DD has fruit or veg with each meal, usually porridge topped with a banana or strawberries, sticks of celery, cucumber and pepper with her lunch and veg with her dinner. She has unlimited access to the fruit bowl, and can have 2 small snacks from the snack drawer as well. The snack drawer has a few healthier treats, Soreen being one of them.

IWouldBeSuperb · 25/01/2021 12:55

A great tip I actually stole from another mumsnetter years ago:

Having a 'sharing bowl" of salad/crudites/steamed veg as a started on the table while you're finishing off and serving up the main meal - kids will sit and pick at it - and actually get a good amount eaten!!

Chelsecaz · 25/01/2021 19:36

I’ve got 6 children and I’ve always started giving them puréed fruit and vegetables from when they started weaning. I’d start with the blandest options like potatoes, banana etc then add different flavours each week. They now eat anything I give them, even Brussels 😂

UNDERCOVERDOGG · 26/01/2021 06:59

Not sure we have mastered it but fruit is always available and we make sure there is no chocolate or sweets in their lunch

TellMeItsNotTrue · 26/01/2021 08:25

I've always made a treat out of fruit, so we have fruit for dessert and as they got older we'd have the bog standard fruit every week and if they'd been good they were allowed to choose something extra, something more expensive per portion that didn't feature every week. They looked forward to it as though they were choosing sweets, because I'd built it up to be a treat if they were good, even though eldest in high school they still all love fruit and see the more expensive stuff as a treat

Also, if they are hungry outside of mealtimes they are offered veg that they like - cucumber or carrot sticks, cherry tomatoes etc - and if they aren't hungry for vegetables then they aren't hungry. If they've had veg snack and still hungry then they can have Soreen for example, but offering veg first shows that sometimes they just want, rather than actually being hungry, which gives good habits for when they are older of recognising when they are hungry or bored, when they are full etc

villagefox · 26/01/2021 09:56

Given any choice my son would pick an unhealthy option! After breakfast he has to have a piece of fruit before he is allowed a more 'unhealthy' choice. Generally after the fruit he is full and forgets about having anything else.

LeeFitz1968 · 26/01/2021 11:49

I get them to help me prep each meal and when they are in school they can choose a sweet treat if they choose healthy options

greig23 · 26/01/2021 11:52

When my nephews come round i put veg in the pies and stews i make and they all love it lol

misskatamari · 26/01/2021 12:26

My kids are pretty good eaters thankfully. They don't love all veg, but they eat most of it, as they know it helps their bodies stay healthy and well, and that we need to eat a balanced diet. They love fruit as well thankfully. I keep chopped grapes, carrots, cucumber and peppers in the fridge, which makes lunch times super easy, as there are always some on hand to add. Snack wise, they like dried fruit, cheese, fresh fruit etc. Also fans of soreen if we have it in.

jannipans · 26/01/2021 14:12

When my children were little and protested about eating something I didn't make a fuss, I just used to take it away, at the same time telling them "never mind, you'll like it when you are grown up enough, just try it next time to see whether you're old enough to eat it"
Both my daughters are now brilliant cooks and eat everything. My eldest has 2 children of her own now and she does exactly the same with them. Tried and tested!

tomskype · 26/01/2021 14:54

Get her involved in the preparation and then she is more invested in eating it, teaching her about spices from an early age helped too

cjrmar · 26/01/2021 15:38

They know that if they don't eat it they go hungry and they have always eaten what I dish up.

Amyw33 · 26/01/2021 16:55

I just tried not to make vegetables any different from any other food group. I think if I bought attention to them being a food that some children don't like, they definitely wouldn't have eaten! Lol!

barbaramcgibben · 26/01/2021 17:12

Home cooked meals should only be fresh and healthy.Children eat ‘out of the pot’.....in other words ,the same food as the adults.An exception would be made for anyone with a food allergy.I have found young children are keen to try anything.If they dislike something ,never force a child to eat it.

carolw5 · 26/01/2021 17:42

With 3 boys I sometimes do a prize for the one with the cleanest plate Grin

ragsie · 26/01/2021 18:17

Tell them it's one of the new McDonald's Happy Meals.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.