My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

This topic is for sponsored discussions. If you'd like to run one with us, please email [email protected].

MNHQ have commented on this thread

Sponsored threads

Share how you make your children’s food win-win with Soreen - £200 voucher to be won

230 replies

CeriMumsnet · 04/01/2021 09:27

This discussion is now closed

As a parent it can be tricky to make sure our children are enjoying a healthy, balanced diet, especially if we are now busy juggling work with home-schooling and the biscuit tin is within reach. Ensuring that their meals are nutritious enough to give us peace of mind but won’t go untouched, or that we’re stocked up with the right snacks to keep our children fuelled and able to concentrate throughout the day is a constant balance to strike, whether your DC are staying at home or still going into school this lockdown. With this in mind, Soreen would like to hear your stories and tips about making your kids’ foods ‘win-win.’

Here’s what Soreen has to say: "It’s only natural for parents to want to give their children what they ask for however, as we all know this can’t be done, especially when it comes to snacks.

And now with many families spending more time indoors and trying to balance work and home-schooling it can be even more tempting to say ‘yes’ to visiting the treat cupboard, especially if it means you might get some peace and quiet for your next virtual meeting.

With Soreen Lunchbox Loaves there is finally a treat you and your kids can both agree on. Containing 50% less sugar than the average cake bar, a source of fibre and low in saturated fat they’re a healthier alternative (don’t tell the kids!) that takes the guilt out of saying ‘yes’. They’re available in four squidgy and delicious fruity flavours; banana, apple, malt and strawberry, and come individually wrapped in a pack of 5 mini loaves - perfect for each day of the school week."

So have you resorted to hiding vegetables in your pasta sauces to ensure your DC get their 5 a day? Do you opt for low in sugar alternatives to your children’s favourite snacks, or have you set a lockdown snack-time routine that works for your family? Perhaps you teach your children about the importance of a balanced diet by saving dessert for the weekend?

Whatever your tips for making your children’s food win-win, all who post on this thread will be entered into a prize draw where one lucky MNer will win a £200 voucher for a store of their choice (from a list).

Thanks and good luck with the prize draw!

MNHQ

Insight T&Cs apply

Share how you make your children’s food win-win with Soreen - £200 voucher to be won
OP posts:
CrocodileFondue · 22/01/2021 21:13

I give vegetables with every meal (apart from breakfast but that often has fruit). DS used to eat loads of veg but went off it. I still put a few bits of each thing on his plate though and he has started eating some again.

We shared a Soreen loaf for pudding tonight as we all love it. I often buy the lunchbox loaves for DS but eat most of them myself Blush.

billybear · 22/01/2021 22:28

colours ie carrots/peas/orange and green bit of what we have try it a few times.not too pushy but healthly options and fill up with snacks that are good for us fruit,not many biscuits or crisps just as a treat odd time,make meals relaxed not a battle

TheDeckchairGardener · 22/01/2021 22:46

I am quite lucky that my 5 year old DS is not too fussy and normally eats his vegetables but it seems to go down better if the vegetables are in a sauce or liquid, so casseroles and soups are a good healthy meal. I am guilty of bribing him by threatening no pudding if he doesn’t eat his vegetables.

I am more likely to buy something low in sugar (although I avoid artificial sweeteners), however I am aware that even fruit and ‘healthy’ smoothies can be high in sugar.

BeneathTheMilkyTwilight · 22/01/2021 23:18

My 8 year old ds is just getting involved with cooking and it's made him far more willing to try new things. I've also found as much as we try, he is getting less exercise since the pandemic started, so we've tried to give subtly smaller portions to balance this out.

Fortunefavours1 · 23/01/2021 03:08

I've never used food as a reward. We eat snacks and treaty food if we have them in, not because we deserve it. I don't really buy multipacks of chocolates etc, we buy if we're out and it's eaten in the park or on the bus etc.

I find it easier to include veg into meals rather than eat them on their own. Really love casseroles and stews as can add all sorts of veg.

ColdCottage · 23/01/2021 03:19

Tinned tomatoes on toast is a simple, hot and tasty lockdown lunch in our home.

susantrubey · 23/01/2021 04:02

We don't have a problem with eating.

spaceghetto · 23/01/2021 07:32

My kids eat what we eat. No "kids snacks"

CordeliaScott · 23/01/2021 09:12

Luckily I've never had any real issues. My children like fruit and vegetables. I make sure that they have some veg in every meal and that there's lots of fruit in the house for them to snack on

Annipoos · 23/01/2021 10:06

My Mum used to cut my sandwiches into fun shapes with her pastry cutters.

Wearywithteens · 23/01/2021 10:34

This reply has been withdrawn

This has been withdrawn at the poster's request.

Caityboo · 23/01/2021 11:51

I get the kids to pick a different fruit and veg each week and involve them in what we are going to make with it

agreaves19 · 23/01/2021 12:06

I try to include fruit snacks as part of the day, things that the kids love like bananas, strawberries, apples and raisins

lovemyflipflops · 23/01/2021 12:55

[quote HelloMist]@lovemyflipflops another suggestion with smoothies is freeze them in a lolly mould. You can also add natural yoghurt before freezing for texture/thickness and extra calcium. Maybe better in summer![/quote]
Thanks - great idea (I do make ice pops but these sound nicer)

Ratbagratty · 23/01/2021 13:22

No fuss over what they eat, but they have to try it. Also I never deny dessert. Seems to work.

BarefootInTheMoonlitSnow · 23/01/2021 13:34

Top 5 reasons my DC is interested in food:

No tv meant hours of board games, dress up, reading etc which necessitated lots of small snacks which would be easy to vary (for choice & friends’ taste)

Lone parenting & WOH required imagination (regular use of sale items/unexpected items, foraging) and greater DC involvement (making own simple foods at primary through to making entire meals later)

Learning about other countries/cultures (primary v internationally mixed) and spending time with international friends at their houses encouraged view of food & cooking methods as being very varied as ‘normal’

I love food myself and model that, including showing how illness/allergies can be catered for, recipes adapted for taste/budget etc

Luck (DC has no allergies and is NT)

Overarching everything is that food is a necessity so it was never made a battleground. I agree wholeheartedly with ‘help yourself’ tables, esp with DC’ friends - everyone can try a little bit of everything or just pick the items they know they like, and the idea of finding your own ‘balance’ not just of the amounts but also the types of foods.

Soreen was more of a staple during peak packed lunch times but we love cheese so it still makes its way into the shopping basket nowadays, esp useful for hiking snacks & bites on the go

Clara0015 · 23/01/2021 14:37

We’re quite lucky our daughter eats most things. She’s not a massive fan of fruit so I sometimes hide it in yoghurt

Stargirl84 · 23/01/2021 16:40

We tend to save treats for the weekend, and might make a cake together then. Also if vegetables can be puréed and hidden in a curry then they will eat them unknowingly!

kathcake21 · 23/01/2021 16:53

letting them take part in choosing the fruit and veg they like as it makes them think it's more special then if you choose it

Ange211 · 23/01/2021 17:31

My kids aren’t particularly fussy but I find it really helps to get them involved in cooking from an early age. We also have an everything in moderation approach - making sweets / crisps etc out of bounds just increases desire for said food.

minceandpotatoes · 23/01/2021 18:09

I like to make soup with lots of vegetables. DD prefers smooth soups, blended so there's no bits, and favourite flavours are carrot & cheese, and chicken & asparagus. Even if she doesn't always eat a whole bowl, she will use it as a dip for her bread.
I've only made gravy the way I learned from my DM, adding the cooking water from the boiled vegetables to gravy granules, but i like the tip from previous posters to add a blended boiled potato, carrot, and onion, so i might try that now.

OnlyToWin · 23/01/2021 20:22

They’re both keen fruit eaters, but mainly the fruit that’s easiest for them to pick at, such as grapes and blueberries. During lockdown they eat quite a bit out of boredom, rather than hunger, so I have started to buy less sugary snacks because I would find they were all gone in one day! Instead I am stocking up on healthier snacks.

MakeTeaNotWar · 23/01/2021 21:02

Mine love fruit but also broccoli and peas but it's meat and egg they reject so I do wonder about their protein intake

BlueSussex · 23/01/2021 21:29

I found that getting my children involved more with the preparation and cooking of food really made the biggest change to them accepting a wider range of vegetables.

buckley1983 · 24/01/2021 00:26

There has been increased requests for snacks in our house.. & much frustrations when a variety of eatables are not on offer!!
Luckily my son loves fruit - so I am trying to visit the local fruit & veg stall which has started opening weekly in a pub car park near us (support local!) to stock up on a range of fruit & veg which is welcome to throughout the day.
He's not a fan of sandwiches, so opts for crackers & when home-schooling - toast & peanut butter which is a treat for lunch as not allowed peanut butter in school due to allergies (completely understandable!)
Great cheap, quick snack idea is one I pinched from Joe Wicks - puff pastry twists with marmite & cheese - delish! Also can top with seeds to make them a bit healthier.
Picked up some fab ideas from this thread.. thanks all! :)

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.