My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

This topic is for sponsored discussions. If you'd like to run one with us, please email [email protected].

MNHQ have commented on this thread

Sponsored threads

Share how you make your children’s food win-win with Soreen - £200 voucher to be won

230 replies

CeriMumsnet · 04/01/2021 09:27

This discussion is now closed

As a parent it can be tricky to make sure our children are enjoying a healthy, balanced diet, especially if we are now busy juggling work with home-schooling and the biscuit tin is within reach. Ensuring that their meals are nutritious enough to give us peace of mind but won’t go untouched, or that we’re stocked up with the right snacks to keep our children fuelled and able to concentrate throughout the day is a constant balance to strike, whether your DC are staying at home or still going into school this lockdown. With this in mind, Soreen would like to hear your stories and tips about making your kids’ foods ‘win-win.’

Here’s what Soreen has to say: "It’s only natural for parents to want to give their children what they ask for however, as we all know this can’t be done, especially when it comes to snacks.

And now with many families spending more time indoors and trying to balance work and home-schooling it can be even more tempting to say ‘yes’ to visiting the treat cupboard, especially if it means you might get some peace and quiet for your next virtual meeting.

With Soreen Lunchbox Loaves there is finally a treat you and your kids can both agree on. Containing 50% less sugar than the average cake bar, a source of fibre and low in saturated fat they’re a healthier alternative (don’t tell the kids!) that takes the guilt out of saying ‘yes’. They’re available in four squidgy and delicious fruity flavours; banana, apple, malt and strawberry, and come individually wrapped in a pack of 5 mini loaves - perfect for each day of the school week."

So have you resorted to hiding vegetables in your pasta sauces to ensure your DC get their 5 a day? Do you opt for low in sugar alternatives to your children’s favourite snacks, or have you set a lockdown snack-time routine that works for your family? Perhaps you teach your children about the importance of a balanced diet by saving dessert for the weekend?

Whatever your tips for making your children’s food win-win, all who post on this thread will be entered into a prize draw where one lucky MNer will win a £200 voucher for a store of their choice (from a list).

Thanks and good luck with the prize draw!

MNHQ

Insight T&Cs apply

Share how you make your children’s food win-win with Soreen - £200 voucher to be won
OP posts:
sheebasima · 21/01/2021 14:41

I give veg and fruit names characters and storys to encourage eating fruit and veg

Summergarden · 21/01/2021 15:40

I follow the French approach of telling my children that I don’t expect them to like every food but I do expect them to regularly try (and re-try) a range of different foods.

Just a small mouthful each time, and they often find that their palate has altered since the last time meaning that they learn to like foods they previously disliked.

biffyboom · 21/01/2021 16:23

I know my children love snacks, so I try to offer a healthy one before they ask for crisps or chocolate. It often works. Also if I appear eating fruit they will want it too, so I will eat it just so they take it off me Grin

AlexaShutUp · 21/01/2021 17:58

My dd is older now and much less fussy, but I used to find finger food easier than sit down meals. Chopped raw veggies, for example.

I also tried not to make food into a battleground. We talked about healthy eating and getting different types of nutrients, but if she really hated something, I didn't push it and just looked for alternatives instead.

AndreaF13 · 21/01/2021 18:00

We have an allotment so my children were good at trying lots of different fruit & veg that they had grown themselves. As adults they still eat a lot of fruit & veg.

hespi · 21/01/2021 18:38

grate courgette and carrot into bolognese

bettertimesarecomingnow · 21/01/2021 19:15

Three meals a day with a morning snack and fruit in the afternoon if they are hungry.

While they are homeschooling I've been making a cooked lunch too which I think fills them up and stops them wanting to snack constantly.

Simple stuff like pasta and sauce or soup and toasties.

We've been doing lots of veggie sticks and dips recently too just to get extra vitamins in!

Lmow9 · 21/01/2021 19:58

From the get go my children mainly ate vegetables. From pureed when they were weaning, finger food to introducing new different vegetables with each mean as they grew up from toddler age. I would make sure I made them differently each time so the taste and texture was different.I would also make sure I blended veggies for our pasta sauces. My children were shocked the first time they went to a sleep over and had dinner there, they came back and said they didn't have any veggies on the plate. That unheard of in our house. We're not vegetarian though we do try and limit our meat and fish intake. We're also trying vegan meals too.

wheretoyougonow · 21/01/2021 20:21

My children love it when I cut up different coloured veg/fruit with a dip. Mainly hummus. If they need filling up (they are always starving Grin) I add some carbs such as breadsticks or cut up pitta to dip in.

DrydenAird · 21/01/2021 20:23

When my kids were younger and didn't want to eat fruit, let alone veg, smoothies were an absolute blessing. A good handful of mushed kale can 'disappear' easily into a fruity smoothie and some of the ones available in the shops already do this for you.

Kobanidaughters · 21/01/2021 20:35

I’ve done various things over the years, during chronically fussy phases I would do hidden veg pasta and I still make smoothies and ice lollies with veg as week as fruit - though they know what’s in them. Same with soup, they love soup and I can put all sorts in there and they’re happy, no fibbing about what’s in it necessary. With my DD it’s been a gradual approach and letting her have control, we have a list of veg that she likes (she generally likes her veg raw) and she tries a new or previously rejected veg each week. Taking away the power struggle has definitely helped

Additionally - Thankyou SO much soreen for going vegan, I’ve missed eating it and am so glad to have it back in my diet!!

Purplemirror · 21/01/2021 20:40

I make sure the whole family has the same meals and snacks. If I am having some chocolate I let them have some too to avoid making anything out of bounds, similarly if the snack is something like sugar snap peas and humous they will see me eating it too. It's all about balance and not making a big deal about any foods, the less comments the better I.e. I don't want/like that get a response of no problem, just put it back on your plate.

Downriver · 21/01/2021 21:48

I have always given the children bits of everything to try to widen their palette from early on. They are pretty experimental in their teen years, though they have their dislikes. We try to avoid junk, but under lockdown sugar consumption has really crept up.

Alina1985 · 21/01/2021 22:21

Hello !!
I have 3 kids and when I do my shopping I avoid buying sweets,chocolate or biscuits especially when we have homeschooling to do instead I buy a lot of fruits this way when they want a snack they can choose whatever fruit they want to snack on!
Regards veggies when I have to trick them into eating veggies I am making them veggie soup,oven baked frittata packed with peppers,mushrooms,onions,peas or pasta with homemade sauce made from tomatoes,carrots,onions,peppers !!!

MrsRobert · 22/01/2021 00:26

Soup is ideal here, luckily my son only hates green vegetables but I can hide them if it's blended up. If it looks a bit green I say it's Hulk soup and he doesn't seem to be put off by it. You can make loads to freeze and the whole family can enjoy it.

Tenohfour · 22/01/2021 02:33

We love soreen here, so handy for lunchboxes too (oh for the days of homeschooling to be behind us!). I offer my kids two healthy choices, one usually more tempting than the other. For example a wholegrain cracker or some grapes. My son will always choose the grapes. But if it was a choice between crisps of grapes, he would opt for crisps. They feel like they are getting a choice and 'winning' but I am the one who decides what the options are, so I am 'winning' too.

jitterbugintomybrain · 22/01/2021 08:09

Eat a healthy example and just keep encouraging them to try different things and veg.

SlipperyLizard · 22/01/2021 08:14

We encourage trying of new foods but also make sure there’s something the kids will like (eg garlic bread) with a new meal so they will still have something to eat.

There are so many meals my kids would once turn their noses up at that they now happily eat, but it can take months/years - I think the key is persistence and not making a fuss if things aren’t eaten.

lovemyflipflops · 22/01/2021 11:07

Always low sugar - but NO saccharin, healthy snacks - apple, grapes and carrot sticks.
To get as many vitamins I use a lot of bell peppers in my meals to get the extra vitamins and fibre in the diet, I have just taken to airfrying skin on potato wedges an skin on carrot batons - which they love (any suggestions for air frying other vegetables would be most welcome).
I have tried smoothies - but need to add milk as they find them too 'gloopy'
I would start young with flavours, textures and cooking methods (and would definitely use the stick blender with gravy to add extra vegetables)

HelloMist · 22/01/2021 14:16

I've made energy balls a couple of times just for a change (raw oats, peanut butter, dates or apricots, choc chips, syrup, that kind of thing) Easy to make and healthy stuff in there as well as sugar. However after the first occasion DD wouldn't eat them. I liked them though and they are easy to make and customise.

She isn't keen on Soreen yet either (tried apple, Banana and malt flavours) but we can try again when she's older.

She likes carrot sticks, pepper, most fruits. She has less healthy snacks and foods at meals but and not as often. Wraps are popular and nice with different healthy filings (mild Mexican style meat, tuna, egg, cheese).

HelloMist · 22/01/2021 14:18

@lovemyflipflops another suggestion with smoothies is freeze them in a lolly mould. You can also add natural yoghurt before freezing for texture/thickness and extra calcium. Maybe better in summer!

BellaVida · 22/01/2021 18:02

My DC are now old enough the understand what a healthy diet is. They have veg or salad with every meal and we don’t put food ‘off limits’. They’re allowed to request one special treat each week. When they were younger they wanted sweets, but now it can be anything from popcorn to dried mango and vegan sushi! We’re also sticking to the school timetable so they have morning break snack and lunch as normal, which stops any snacking in between.

WilmaJean · 22/01/2021 18:27

The only way I can get my fussy eater to eat lots of veggies is by making a vegetable soup and blitzing it smooth... he's adamant he doesn't like vegetables but he loves his soup! Wink

DennisTMenace · 22/01/2021 19:35

I like red lentils for ease of sneaking nutrition in. They are healthy and disintegrate, so good to add to Bolognese, curry, pasta sauce etc. Cheap, healthy and bulking up.

Breeze81 · 22/01/2021 20:39

My LO gets involved in cooking and baking from scratch and loves it. Food is a huge part of our play.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.