My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

This topic is for sponsored discussions. If you'd like to run one with us, please email [email protected].

MNHQ have commented on this thread

Sponsored threads

Share how you make your children’s food win-win with Soreen - £200 voucher to be won

230 replies

CeriMumsnet · 04/01/2021 09:27

This discussion is now closed

As a parent it can be tricky to make sure our children are enjoying a healthy, balanced diet, especially if we are now busy juggling work with home-schooling and the biscuit tin is within reach. Ensuring that their meals are nutritious enough to give us peace of mind but won’t go untouched, or that we’re stocked up with the right snacks to keep our children fuelled and able to concentrate throughout the day is a constant balance to strike, whether your DC are staying at home or still going into school this lockdown. With this in mind, Soreen would like to hear your stories and tips about making your kids’ foods ‘win-win.’

Here’s what Soreen has to say: "It’s only natural for parents to want to give their children what they ask for however, as we all know this can’t be done, especially when it comes to snacks.

And now with many families spending more time indoors and trying to balance work and home-schooling it can be even more tempting to say ‘yes’ to visiting the treat cupboard, especially if it means you might get some peace and quiet for your next virtual meeting.

With Soreen Lunchbox Loaves there is finally a treat you and your kids can both agree on. Containing 50% less sugar than the average cake bar, a source of fibre and low in saturated fat they’re a healthier alternative (don’t tell the kids!) that takes the guilt out of saying ‘yes’. They’re available in four squidgy and delicious fruity flavours; banana, apple, malt and strawberry, and come individually wrapped in a pack of 5 mini loaves - perfect for each day of the school week."

So have you resorted to hiding vegetables in your pasta sauces to ensure your DC get their 5 a day? Do you opt for low in sugar alternatives to your children’s favourite snacks, or have you set a lockdown snack-time routine that works for your family? Perhaps you teach your children about the importance of a balanced diet by saving dessert for the weekend?

Whatever your tips for making your children’s food win-win, all who post on this thread will be entered into a prize draw where one lucky MNer will win a £200 voucher for a store of their choice (from a list).

Thanks and good luck with the prize draw!

MNHQ

Insight T&Cs apply

Share how you make your children’s food win-win with Soreen - £200 voucher to be won
OP posts:
RugsEverywhere · 26/01/2021 18:47

I have a one treat a day rule ,but the kids are completely free tochoose what and when.

Vanesha · 26/01/2021 20:31

We all eat the same dinner.....green , meat or fish. Ate variety... roast, stews, pasta, pizza. Lentils and eats fruits as well as other pudding.

Elprincesso · 26/01/2021 20:48

I have got a bit of a challenge on my hands as my partner doesn't eat anything other than plain meat & chips, his 13 yr old daughter 'turned' fussy at 6-7 yrs of age & started turning her nose up to everything healthy fruit/veg wise (I'm guessing psychologically, because her family would laugh at how fussy she was becoming & 'becoming just like her dad', this then became 'rooted' in her as she was getting approval from her family/loved ones) she now only eats baguettes with butter, pringles, toffee popcorn, marshmallow rice krispie squares, maltesers, steak, pork & chips & will only drink Dr.Peppers. Disgusting.
Trouble is, I have an 18 month old whom I desperately don't want to be like her or his father. Fortunately I eat a healthy range of foods & weaned him with all sorts of mixed pureed foods. He has stopped eating things he loved before though like sweet potato mash, peas, sweetcorn & I still can't get him to eat things like tomatoes or cucumber but I keep trying. Every couple of days I put pieces of different things on his lunch plate hoping he'll try them, I just keep trying. My main win-win dinner at the mo is (surprisingly) the weight watchers spaghetti bolognese recipe! I add some chopped up baby spinach too for an iron boost & serve his with wholewheat pasta (I have grated courgette though!) He even loves it with a bit of grated Italian Cheese. And then, just because sometimes he is adament he wants a 'Bish', I always make sure I buy sugar free biscuits so he can have the odd 'treat' without me feeling guilty. And Banana chips from Holland & Barrett. Fingerscrossed he'll follow in Mummas healthy footsteps!!

curlin · 26/01/2021 21:26

I have found that not having set things e.g breakfast doesn't have to be cereal, it can be tuna pasta. Lunchtime could be cereal, but I generally find that I can hide alot in homemade pasta sauce

Kittyme · 26/01/2021 21:36

Thankfully my little ones eat most things and are not fussy eaters, I tending to cut up fresh vegetables and fruit and keep them in the fridge for them to snack on during the day.

StickChildNumberTwo · 26/01/2021 22:02

Trying to give the kids some say in what we eat helps, especially with lunches at home at the moment. 5 year old's current favourite is making faces out of slices of bread decorated with chopped veg, grated cheese etc which is a great way to get them eating a variety of food. I'm fortunate that I don't have any major dietary requirements to deal with and can adapt most things easily to something the kids will eat.

marymod · 26/01/2021 23:35

I've found that if they help with the preparation and cooking, they're more likely to eat the meal We've discussed having a rainbow on the plate, rather than boring beige and they're starting to help with choosing what to try when I'm placing the online shopping order.

KeyboardWorriers · 26/01/2021 23:45

We have a big fruit box delivered each week so the children always know they.can have fruit.

However, my son has oral allergy syndrome and can't tolerate any raw fruit or veg so we actually do let him have the soreen banana loaves as an alternative- I am so glad they are milk and egg free! He is wary of so many foods due to his reactions but he loves these.

bikerclaire · 27/01/2021 04:47

Our 4 year old daughter is pretty easy going. Im pescetarian and my partner eats meat but no fish! She will happiy eat anything except for onion (I was the same as a child but love it now). So I'll generally do a main dish and keep something to hand in case DD doesn't like it, like a small tin of beans/sausages or corn on the cob (which she loves). I always make sure we have bananas on hand for snacks and me and her share an avocardo every once in a while - scooping it out with teaspoons.

leafygarden42 · 27/01/2021 07:21

I don't like fussiness in my house. I accept a few dislikes but we all eat the same and we eat what we're given by the person cooking. I don't resort to hiding or bribes - because I am pretty much perfect in every way, when it comes to food and nutrition. That's why I come onto Mumsnet!

puplicity2021 · 27/01/2021 08:35

Thankfully my kids love their fruit and veg, getting the kids involving choosing what we are going to have and chopping it all up into a fruit salad they have lots of fun and enjoy eating it x

Penguinandduck · 27/01/2021 10:07

My son is a constant grazer - he asks for snacks every half hour at least. We have started making him a snack box in the morning and he knows that is all the snacks he can have for the day. He understands the importance of 5-a-day and often goes for the fruit and veg snacks first. He has learned some fussiness at meal times from his brother who has ARFID, but he always has to try 3 bites before he can decide he doesn’t like something.

sqirrelfriends · 27/01/2021 12:02

My son loves anything sweet, cold or crunchy so I consider this when I'm thinking of snacks for him.

His current favourite snacks are sliced peppers, carrot sticks literally any fruit. For dessert he loves an ice lolly so I try and make these as healthy as possible just using frozen fruit or yogurt.

sarah1271 · 27/01/2021 13:33

Mines pretty good and eats everything put in front of him or he gets no pudding

TechnoDino · 27/01/2021 14:14

I find that if I allow a small ‘naughty’ snack, my children will happily eat all the healthy food first to get to it!

annajanna · 27/01/2021 14:15

Never needed to resort to tricks as my daughter actually loved all raw and cooked vegetables and fruit. She preferred to take a raw carrot to school as a snack rather than biscuits or sweets.

shaddai88 · 27/01/2021 14:18

I make all the meals colourful from they were young and get them to spot what colours they could find and the name of the vegetables and meat. This got them interested in a healthy diet. I vary the meals everyday with different types and colours of pasta, potatoes, rice, cocous and roast dinner.

karla10 · 27/01/2021 14:31

My kids are pretty good with fruit but veg is a struggle. I blend alot to make sauces for pasta etc which always goes down well

herbertappleby · 27/01/2021 20:43

Take note of my daughter's hated foods and make everthing else taste great :)

Cinders22 · 27/01/2021 20:57

I have found getting the kids involved in cooking really helps them to make nutritious choices. We do have a 'treat' cupboard but the kids know they have to eat dinner, some fruit and/or yogurt and then a treat if they are still hungry.

thelearig · 27/01/2021 21:49

When mine were babies I gave them homemade pureed vegetables to wean. At one point my daughter turned orange from so many carrots!!

I'm another who has never tolerated fussiness. They eat what they are given or go to bed, have devices taken away etc. It's OK if they are full so eat a bit less but they can't just leave parts of the meal. They now like almost everything at 11 and 15 and actually really really like vegetables. Tbh they never have to be told any more it's just habit and enjoyment to them to eat (reasonably) healthy.

I try to use as little processed foods as possible (more for cheapness) and I think the most important is LOW SUGAR. Don't let them get the taste for too much sugar or everything else will wrongly seem bland. Kids shouldn't be drinking fizzy juices or having sweets every day ever.

I aim for at least 5 a day in meals and enough protein.

My daughter decided to become vegetarian at 12 and she can cook really well. My son isn't vegetarian nor am I.

Doesn't have to be perfect, everything in moderation as my Granny says!!

They have KFC once a week, and that is the only time fizzy juice is ever allowed. I don't buy in sweets ever (my downfall if they were there I'd eat them) and rarely make dessert. They get given sweets for Christmas, Easter, and birthdays and sometimes their dad's buy them sweets. I put them in a box in the kitchen and only allow one small serving every day, but tbh most of the time they don't even ask and the 'stash' will last many months.

Some other tips -

TELL them (age appropriate) when they are old enough, what happens when people eat unhealthily - diabetes etc, and what that actually entails. Show them clips etc.

My daughter or I will make big batches of tomato and veg sauce so if busy or tired there's always something quick and easy in the freezer. Also usually recipes are for 4-6 and there's 3 of us, one veggie, so freeze our own 'ready meals' - much cheaper even taking into account the fuel cost and healthier

NHS recipes (Google) are good and not too expensive ingredients.

Cocoa. Not hot chocolate, actual cocoa. Again from my Granny!! It's full of iron and not much sugar at all, add to hot milk they love it.

pineapple99 · 27/01/2021 23:29

Make sure that they always eat what we eat - any fussiness starts from a very young age.

wendybiv · 28/01/2021 00:34

No fuss children here, I'm glad to say!

crazymum36 · 28/01/2021 08:58

My 6 children have there likes and dislikes with food, but I have found that if you involve them into the preparation of there meals this works a lot better. I take them to buy their meals and they all get involved in cooking them too.

HowsAnnie25 · 28/01/2021 10:09

Any 'wet' foods like curries, pasta, stews etc I start with grated carrot, garlic, onions and celery so everything has more vegetables than they think! Overall my children are good eaters, and my daughter is particularly aware of healthy eating, often opting for pear or plain yoghurt for a pudding.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.