My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

This topic is for sponsored discussions. If you'd like to run one with us, please email [email protected].

MNHQ have commented on this thread

Sponsored threads

Share how you make your children’s food win-win with Soreen - £200 voucher to be won

230 replies

CeriMumsnet · 04/01/2021 09:27

This discussion is now closed

As a parent it can be tricky to make sure our children are enjoying a healthy, balanced diet, especially if we are now busy juggling work with home-schooling and the biscuit tin is within reach. Ensuring that their meals are nutritious enough to give us peace of mind but won’t go untouched, or that we’re stocked up with the right snacks to keep our children fuelled and able to concentrate throughout the day is a constant balance to strike, whether your DC are staying at home or still going into school this lockdown. With this in mind, Soreen would like to hear your stories and tips about making your kids’ foods ‘win-win.’

Here’s what Soreen has to say: "It’s only natural for parents to want to give their children what they ask for however, as we all know this can’t be done, especially when it comes to snacks.

And now with many families spending more time indoors and trying to balance work and home-schooling it can be even more tempting to say ‘yes’ to visiting the treat cupboard, especially if it means you might get some peace and quiet for your next virtual meeting.

With Soreen Lunchbox Loaves there is finally a treat you and your kids can both agree on. Containing 50% less sugar than the average cake bar, a source of fibre and low in saturated fat they’re a healthier alternative (don’t tell the kids!) that takes the guilt out of saying ‘yes’. They’re available in four squidgy and delicious fruity flavours; banana, apple, malt and strawberry, and come individually wrapped in a pack of 5 mini loaves - perfect for each day of the school week."

So have you resorted to hiding vegetables in your pasta sauces to ensure your DC get their 5 a day? Do you opt for low in sugar alternatives to your children’s favourite snacks, or have you set a lockdown snack-time routine that works for your family? Perhaps you teach your children about the importance of a balanced diet by saving dessert for the weekend?

Whatever your tips for making your children’s food win-win, all who post on this thread will be entered into a prize draw where one lucky MNer will win a £200 voucher for a store of their choice (from a list).

Thanks and good luck with the prize draw!

MNHQ

Insight T&Cs apply

Share how you make your children’s food win-win with Soreen - £200 voucher to be won
OP posts:
alshareif · 14/01/2021 00:58

I make a mean carrot soup that the kids love otherwise they usually hate carrots.

MParke · 15/01/2021 00:21

I'm not ashamed to say that I have had to resort to hiding veggies. The kids used to be so fussy and I found the only way they'd get their 5 a day was to use the veggies in sauces.

zindeggeh · 15/01/2021 00:29

As someone else said, I also use a reward system, a star chart. Although I will say that the only reason why it works so well is that DD loves her stickers and it pleases her to see an extra time on her chart each time.

jellybeanpopper · 15/01/2021 02:06

I have a very fussy DD, but fortunately not everything she likes is unhealthy. So I encourage the healthy things she likes, cucumber sticks, apples etc.

We limit treats but try not to make a huge issue about it so she know she can have a biscuit or a couple of chocolate buttons every day.

Most importantly, and this is the bit that's difficult to keep up. We try to offer something she won't usually eat as a side and lots of praise if she tries it even if she doesn't want to eat more than a spoonful e.g hummus, sweet corn, different vegetables

PashleyB · 16/01/2021 15:09

I do periodically hide vegetables in sauces. And often pudding is fruit rather than a cake or something, so I try and keep a range of fruit in the fruit bowl so there is always a choice for the kids

Gufo · 16/01/2021 17:12

By not putting pressure on to eat - it's there if you're hungry, have some buttered toast later if you're not.
Fruit is always available (one DC eats loads, one won't touch it).
Always ask if they want to help cook (again one usually does, one doesn't).

Patafi · 16/01/2021 18:55

Kids are still young enough to appreciate veggie shapes. It excites them each time and somehow makes the food more fun to eat lol.

shansterx · 16/01/2021 20:09

We don't talk about balanced diets, but we show that by action. We don't have any snacks in front of the kids and we mostly choose healthy ones over junk.

SayNoMor · 16/01/2021 21:04

Kids are fussy eaters rarely. But I've found out what they love and made it so that even though everything they're eating is healthy, it's still tasty. I can't expect them to just like broccoli. Trial and error means I found what works for my family. Thankfully, no food has ever gone to waste.

Whytie · 17/01/2021 19:00

My DD is at that stage where she keeps asking 'why?' to everything. It's so adorable but sometimes awkward. When it comes to healthy food, it's easier to deal with because we just tell her it's so she can grow up and become bigger which is her main goal lol.

mophia · 17/01/2021 19:11

Luckily my kids love all the good stuff and I reinforce these healthy eating habits by limiting things like junk snacks. I make low carb snacks made with almond flour so they never feel like they're missing out on anything.

Sleepybumble · 19/01/2021 13:12

DD has always eaten the same meals as us. We choose to eat things we all like. Just as we would if it was just 2 adults choosing meals. She has some dislikes but I think that as she's never had an alternative option for meals she just accepts that it's lunch /dinner/ whatever.

HolaChicos · 20/01/2021 18:01

I encourage my ds to try new things, I do have a safety net of healthy foods that he likes but always try to expand on that as much as I can. The rest of us eat healthily so I'm hoping that we can lead by example!

yasmin0147 · 20/01/2021 20:33

I get out the cookie cutter and get them to help me make the vegetable look like different things, stars, giraffes and hearts. They love helping me make the snacks.

Cotswoldmama · 20/01/2021 20:35

It's a bit of a mixed bag in our house we have some days of freezer food when there just isn't time and then other days when I hide veggies in everything. I make an amazing cheesy pasta bake that is filled with veg. It's essentially a veg soup with cheese. I just make sure I used park of yellow veg and if it isn't yellow/ cheesy looking enough I add a sprinkle of turmeric!

HurtingHillary · 20/01/2021 20:49

We have a snack after school they get to help make it which they love, but the snack is 3 things, one being a piece of fruit, 2 being either cucumber or pepper and humous and the third can be something naughty.

All means come with either veg or salad

And we have jacket potatoes, cottage pie and tuna salad every single week.

Hoowhoowho · 20/01/2021 21:06

I give my children a biscuit whenever they ask. The major downside of this is that now they demand bananas/strawberries/yoghurt/bread instead half the time. Biscuits on demand make them far less desirable.

toolazytothinkofausername · 20/01/2021 21:11

How I make my children's food...

1. I go up to my children, playing with their toys, and inform them I am making myself lunch then walk off.
  2. I make the food I want my children to eat.
  3. I put the food on a plate, sit down on the sofa with said plate of food and wait.
  4. My 2 children come running in, and eat everything on my plate.
wellingtonsandwaffles · 20/01/2021 21:52

DC help prepare food and then want to eat it more. When trying to cajole young ones to increase veg intake present it in a fun way eg vegetable man - in terms of treats a couple of healthier ones are homemade fruit lollies, homemade sugar free banana bread, hummus and breadsticks etc but we normally end up giving in and having one unhealthy treat per day!

bluechameleon · 20/01/2021 21:57

I put all the food in the middle of the table and let them serve themselves. I make sure there are at least a couple of things they like and don't put any pressure on them to eat or try any specific thing. Gradually my older one has gone from being very picky to being keen to try all sorts of things.

starlight36 · 20/01/2021 22:37

DD likes rifling through my recipe books and picking out things she wants us to make together. I think she is more comfortable trying 'new' things if she knows how they are made.

For my fussier son I do blitz vegetables into pizza sauces, add grated into mince for chilli and bolognese. It just saves the arguments getting him to eat them.

ButterflyOfFreedom · 21/01/2021 08:19

Our DC love most fruit & veg so we eat lots on a daily basis with no real fuss.
Any treats such as sweets or biscuits are kept to a minimum and when given, it's limited to just one or two small ones. I don't understand people who give large packs of Haribo or a full size chocolate bar when a couple of sweets or a small chocolate (e.g.. from Heroes) would suffice.
We also reiterate that treats don't have to be food- they can be stickers, tv time, toys, a trip out or time on the tablet.

StandUnderMyUmbrella · 21/01/2021 09:43

I have be known to be super strict and at my wits end that my daughter has not left the table until all the vegetables have been eaten. That was fun.

My most success is hiding vegetables in meals, such as cottage pie. It gives me great satisfaction to watch my daughter chomp down a load of celery, carrots etc and has no clue!

NeurologicallySpeaking · 21/01/2021 10:51

We always eat family style from shared dishes and are fortunate that both children aren't fussy although they have preferences like anyone. We encourage them to just try everything and anything and cook a very varied repertoire of dishes so they don't get stuck eating just a few favourites.

We always have a full fruit bowl but it is difficult to avoid the temptation of sugar if it is in the house so I prefer not to buy sugary snacks at all

winnerdan85 · 21/01/2021 12:39

Always include the fruit they like to keep them healthy also use meat free sandwich fillers

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.