My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

This topic is for sponsored discussions. If you'd like to run one with us, please email [email protected].

MNHQ have commented on this thread

Sponsored threads

Share how you make your children’s food win-win with Soreen - £200 voucher to be won

230 replies

CeriMumsnet · 04/01/2021 09:27

This discussion is now closed

As a parent it can be tricky to make sure our children are enjoying a healthy, balanced diet, especially if we are now busy juggling work with home-schooling and the biscuit tin is within reach. Ensuring that their meals are nutritious enough to give us peace of mind but won’t go untouched, or that we’re stocked up with the right snacks to keep our children fuelled and able to concentrate throughout the day is a constant balance to strike, whether your DC are staying at home or still going into school this lockdown. With this in mind, Soreen would like to hear your stories and tips about making your kids’ foods ‘win-win.’

Here’s what Soreen has to say: "It’s only natural for parents to want to give their children what they ask for however, as we all know this can’t be done, especially when it comes to snacks.

And now with many families spending more time indoors and trying to balance work and home-schooling it can be even more tempting to say ‘yes’ to visiting the treat cupboard, especially if it means you might get some peace and quiet for your next virtual meeting.

With Soreen Lunchbox Loaves there is finally a treat you and your kids can both agree on. Containing 50% less sugar than the average cake bar, a source of fibre and low in saturated fat they’re a healthier alternative (don’t tell the kids!) that takes the guilt out of saying ‘yes’. They’re available in four squidgy and delicious fruity flavours; banana, apple, malt and strawberry, and come individually wrapped in a pack of 5 mini loaves - perfect for each day of the school week."

So have you resorted to hiding vegetables in your pasta sauces to ensure your DC get their 5 a day? Do you opt for low in sugar alternatives to your children’s favourite snacks, or have you set a lockdown snack-time routine that works for your family? Perhaps you teach your children about the importance of a balanced diet by saving dessert for the weekend?

Whatever your tips for making your children’s food win-win, all who post on this thread will be entered into a prize draw where one lucky MNer will win a £200 voucher for a store of their choice (from a list).

Thanks and good luck with the prize draw!

MNHQ

Insight T&Cs apply

Share how you make your children’s food win-win with Soreen - £200 voucher to be won
OP posts:
Ntinyn · 10/02/2021 06:52

Hidden veg sauce!! My kids are so fussy but they never twig they're eating veg. I'm thinking of adding red lentils next time.

Crappyfridays7 · 10/02/2021 11:04

I add carrots finely grated, courgette, onions etc to bolognese sauces, we have fun chips potato carrot, cucumber, sweet potato etc with some dips. I have 4 kids and generally we all have the same meal as I’d be there forever cooking different meals. I try and make something new once a week so they can try different flavours.

You have to be a bit inventive but also remember that kids like routine and repetition so it’s not always a bad thing to have the same 4 things each week but you can also mix it up a little bit and add different flavours in or try something new. All my kids love a roast dinner so that’s always a weekly event Grin

percheron67 · 10/02/2021 19:20

As a family we do eat a large selection of fruit and vegetables and i also puree left over veg, freeze in ice trays and add this to gravies and sauces.

Catsincharge · 10/02/2021 20:11

Keep offering a variety and encourage giving it a try, but with no pressures or consequences!

Jobseeker19 · 10/02/2021 21:02

Todays dinner is tomorrow's left-over lunch.

JackieWeaversZoomAc · 11/02/2021 14:47

I adpoted the "Division of Responsibility in Feeding" processes a couple of years ago (thanks to the MN'er who pointed me in that direction) when fussy mealtimes were bring me really down - its been revolutionary and a huge success.

I now put all food on the table and mealtimes and we all help ourselves including DC.

DC will eat a cucumber each! So I keep well stocked in cucumbers.

Veggie crudites always seem to go down well and I'll often give DC a bowl of these each to much on while I cook dinner - they've then had a good veggie intake before even sitting at the table.

I try to make sauces veggie based - katsu curry sauce for example. Kids love it and its mostly onions, carrots and garlic. They have no idea. One of my DC insists she will NEVER eat cooket carrot Grin but she loves katsu sauce.

I don't try not to sweat over what snacks they enjoy - but we do talk about portion control and having just one and enjoying it.

sjonlegs · 11/02/2021 16:53

If at first we don't succeed, try and try again. There's lots of foods my children don't like raw, but will eat cooked and vice versa.

Also there's things that cut up in different ways or made to look fun, deceives the kids into enjoying it enough to try it.

I think even eating a little bit of something is better than nothing ... so I always encourage my kids to just try and put small portions of everything on their plates at mealtimes.

Cute stuff and singular packaged foods are great for independence (opening packaging) and encourages kids to manage their own eating habits where packed lunches are concerned.

No one is judging here if they mix sweets and savoury or eat their sweet stuff first ... provided they then eat the savouries!

HCCCCC · 15/02/2021 17:37

I had a few rules when my son was young and in the long run it's paid off and he eats anything now. 1- You don't have to eat everything on your plate but you need to try everything 2 - no matter if he liked or didn't like certain certain things everything went on his plate to be tried again 3 - if I over cooked something or cooked it badly I always said so they could try/leave it and not be put off it

The reason I did this is children have to try food multiple times before they get used to it, and age will make them more sensitive to certain flavours and texture; some things they may never like but overtime they develop their own tastes.

Good luck, all children are so different so be kind to yourselves x

Sleepybumble · 15/02/2021 22:00

My daughter is great at trying new to her foods. We never force anything and give plenty of praise, maybe it's just that she's a great eater.

goldenretriever1978 · 16/02/2021 09:20

Getting them involved in the food preparation.

HomeEdRocks18 · 16/02/2021 12:53

We sit down on a Sunday and write a meal plan for the week. We check cupboards and fridge/freezer and cross off what we have. Then shop for the rest.
The kids choose the meals with us so they know what they are eating that week.
The fruit bowl is always full.

Ortega888 · 16/02/2021 20:26

I get my son to help me with the cooking and we tell stories and talk about how our days been I make a fuss and listen to what he really likes to eat and I don’t make him eat anything he doesn’t like. It’s been working so far and it certainly is a recipe for success so I won’t be changing it anytime soon.

CatNamedEaster · 17/02/2021 11:37

I really love cooking, and it can be quite hard to hide my disappointment when I make something that contains everything that my son loves only to find that this is the week he doesn't like peppers/peas/onions etc.

I don't make him eat everything if he says he doesn't like it, but if he liked it the week before then I won't offer anything else as an alternative.

I made something the other week that he really loved, but when he found out it contained courgetti he gave me a death stare and has refused to eat it since, so 'hiding' veg in dishes doesn't really work for us unless I keep it a secret forever Grin.

sm2012 · 17/02/2021 15:56

I try to get my kids involved in the meal planning and making to get them interested and hopefully encourage them to eat it!
During school holidays I've adopted a pay per snack idea where they get a certain amount of money at the start of each week and they then can 'buy' a couple of snacks each day, healthy snacks are cheaper! They get the same money back each week. Works well as they get a choice of different snacks and helps them learn about money.

barricade · 18/02/2021 00:47
  1. Asking from a choice from a range of meals (all healthy) helps as children feel that THEY'RE making the choices.
  2. Using multiple colour combinations and magic ingredients, help persuade, too. For example, 'Incredible Hulk' green beans and spinach, or 'Invincible Iron-Man' tomato and cauliflower cheese.
  3. Using reward charts, or just simply an offer of a treat that I know they will like, for the first one to complete their meal.
pinkflump2020 · 18/02/2021 10:49

I've always fed my girls a very varied diet and as a result they eat pretty much anything. My 5 year old's favourite food is broccoli! My eldest daughter has sweet chilli sauce on everything. I always make sure they eat a varied diet and try to avoid giving sweets as treats. Strawberries and melon are just as much of a treat for them as chocolate is.

Lsquiggles · 18/02/2021 13:28

We're lucky that our daughter has always loved vegetables and would eat chicken all day long if she could! Grin

poolofdev · 18/02/2021 15:58

If they want a snack, it's fruit or nothing! My little girl loves her blueberries in particular :)

Greenie33 · 20/02/2021 19:28

We did baby led weaning from about 8 months. Same food as us but we deconstruct it so they are small piles of separate veg, a staple and a little meat/fish. We let our little one choose how much of each she is offered and offer more of anything eaten up. 18 months and so far so good. She never liked the purees anyway!

hutchy73 · 20/02/2021 23:38

I try to get my son to try new things although to be honest not very adventurous myself. I don’t believe in making them eat things they don’t like - I wouldn’t like it . I have also always let him eat what he wants in moderation and as a result chocolates can sit in the cupboard for weeks and he won’t bother about them .

Cinderellashoes · 21/02/2021 22:07

We involve them in the prep and cooking and make food fun - toast with a face drawn on it etc!

goingpearshaped · 21/02/2021 22:25

Making soups and pasta sauces with veg.

SophieTac · 22/02/2021 19:59

When meal times are tricky and Mr only wants to eat his cheese or yogourt; we're trying to make it fun with songs, funny faces, pretending to eat his food, etc. The only tricky bit is to avoid laughing when he threatens to blow raspberries!
When he gets older I'm planning to do what I remember my parents doing with us - doing competition time with whoever would finish the plate faster; whoever would have the cleanest plate... or invent stories around the items on the plate!

Belmo · 22/02/2021 21:33

Getting my kids to help make their packed lunches makes it seem fun (and take twice as long!!) - they get to pick their favourite healthy teas too so they feel like they’re getting a choice.

Vanesha · 23/02/2021 21:15

I cooked few times for my son and family(three grandsons). They like baked food as well as curried chicken, lamb with roti(like pitta bread, wrap) With less spice and less chilli. There is a couple of veggies or fruits one of them don’t eat like mushrooms, strawberries (one grandson). But they will eat most things.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.