My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on special needs.

SN children

DLA wait times Dec '22

52 replies

LittleCoffeePot · 30/12/2022 21:29

I couldn't see an updated thread for DLA wait times so I thought I'd make a new one for anyone else currently waiting to hear back.

I've recently applied for DLA for my DS for the first time with a scan date of 21st Dec. I've been told it'll be about 12-15 weeks before I hear anything back. Anyone else want to join in the wait?

OP posts:
Boyandgirlmum23 · 02/01/2023 20:29

I got scan date 19th December I had no text about them recieving it so I rang up. It got scanned the 19th he told me end of March time

Mommax3 · 03/01/2023 18:25

Hi there,
I will happily join the wait! I requested the forms 16/11 these were received by them and scanned towards the end of Nov (I’ve got the 24th in my head) I was told when I called it’s likely a 16 week turnaround time. The waiting is awful isn’t it!
Is this first time claims for you both? It is for me and I’m so beyond nervous, I didn’t send off any evidence as my LG’s (6YO) needs have only really become very apparent over the last 6 months. She’s been out forward for testing etc, but as you know all of that takes time.
Happy New Year!

Boyandgirlmum23 · 03/01/2023 21:19

Yes first claim filled the form in myself and repeated myself so not very hopeful, I just sent a copy of his nursery letter and speech and language app letter. Nursery filled their section in for me. I have a report of speech and language here to send and a occupational therapy sensory class letter I need to attend. Happy new year too you too x

Boyandgirlmum23 · 03/01/2023 21:20

My call date was 9th nov but I only posted them the 17th dec

Mommax3 · 04/01/2023 05:46

I feel like I did an awful lot of repeating too. It’s so hard to write down what is “problematic” with your child when you love them so much. I had already written down whilst I was waiting for the forms areas in which my DD needed extra care/support so that I didn’t stare at the forms with the biggest mind blank when they arrived.
I am finding it all a big struggle, on top of juggling Uni (Final Year of my midwifery training) and placement hours alongside this.
I feel completely exhausted! I’m sure you are also in a very similar boat.

Boyandgirlmum23 · 04/01/2023 08:50

I have had to leave my job last month because it's got that hard and was falling asleep in work from being awake 98 percent of the night. It qwas a vicious circle. Still is now but hes hands on 247 recently stopped going asleep till gone 11pm just point blank wont go asleep x

LittleCoffeePot · 04/01/2023 10:36

Glad to hear I'm not the only one!

With hindsight, it was a terrible time of year to apply for the form. We're a family of 5 and were all continuously ill during the 6 weeks I had to fill out the form and send it back. Throw in xmas prep, family birthdays and postal strikes on top and it was all a bit too much. I had to really force myself to fill in the forms and it was all very negative and draining.

Now I'm worried that I haven't filled the form out well enough but I suppose I won't find out until I receive a decision. I sent off quite a bit of evidence, ASD assessment and diagnosis letter and Speech and Language report etc. but it's hard to know if it's enough and if I've outlined his difficulties properly, he's only 3 so I'm wondering if the threshold is higher for younger children.

When I called the guy said they're currently processing 31,000 claims at the moment so it's going to be a long wait I think.

OP posts:
Mommax3 · 04/01/2023 15:58

I don’t want to worry you unnecessarily, but have heard it can be harder to get a higher care rate awarded the younger they are, as it’s hard to convince the assessors that they “need” more
help/care than a regular child of that age.

31,000 Yikes! That seems such an awful lot. Boyandgirlmum23, that must have been tough having to leave your job. It’s such a full on thing having a child with additional care needs.

Boyandgirlmum23 · 04/01/2023 19:03

Currently pouring milk over the sofa and throwing plastic animals at me 😶

Mommax3 · 04/01/2023 19:47

Trying to desperately not rise to it.. I’ve been up and down the stairs more times than I can count.
Dreading being back on placement next week, a mixture of 13 hour days & nights and then the crazy home life to contend with!

Boyandgirlmum23 · 04/01/2023 23:04

He cant speak yet hes non verbal so think that adds to his frustration etc. Its Like groundhog day in here x

FadedLaurels · 06/01/2023 14:06

Hello everyone, sorry to bother you but how do you know when your application has been scanned? This my first time applying and I am worried the form never arrived (I sent it in November and haven't heard anything). Thank you!

Boyandgirlmum23 · 06/01/2023 17:10

I rang up the other day waited 50 mins and just said have you recieved it. Scanned just means when it was accepted in their mail hub in royal mail I posted mine 16th dec and they signed for it the 19th so that's the scan in date x

Mommax3 · 06/01/2023 19:27

I rang, but I also received a letter to state the paperwork had been received and what date they had received it.

Alaiamummy · 06/01/2023 19:42

Hey where do you find the scan date on the letter

Boyandgirlmum23 · 08/01/2023 10:19

Scan date just means the date they recieved it back to them.

Boyandgirlmum23 · 08/01/2023 23:07

I have asked for my job back the days he is in nursery for a break and to get out the house. Not heard back yet. Fingers crossed 🙈

Mumof3asd · 13/01/2023 01:20

My scan date was the 14th October. I’m on week 13 this week 😢. Every time I’ve rang they seem to extend the waiting time. Last person I got through to last week said it can be 13 weeks before it even reaches the decision maker even picks it up. The wait is the worst!

mumof31968 · 15/01/2023 19:31

my ds2 was on dla now i've had to fill forms in for pip now.

withoutapaddl · 18/01/2023 00:13

My scan date was 16th August and I heard back 6th Jan that my son was awarded middle rate DLA. I sent off no supporting evidence, no statements etc just the form I completed.

It's taking them a really long time to get through forms.

Mommax3 · 18/01/2023 06:38

That’s amazing news! Congrats. Cannot believe you’ve only recently heard though. That’s just totally insane.
Would you mind me asking what sort of info you put on the form?

Asdmumof3 · 18/01/2023 14:26

Decision finally been made today after a 14 week wait! Scan date was 14th October. Middle rate only when my daughter used to get High and her care needs are just as high so I will be appealing but so relieved it’s finally been looked at!

Don’t want to miss threads like this?

Weekly

Sign up to our weekly round up and get all the best threads sent straight to your inbox!

You've subscribed!

Boyandgirlmum23 · 18/01/2023 17:17

Made up for you. I'm nervous I'm only 4 weeks in

Asdmumof3 · 18/01/2023 17:33

It’s a long old wait… good luck! X

Boyandgirlmum23 · 18/01/2023 20:38

Just feel like I didn't write enough. Ans only sent a nursery welcom screening and his speech app letter. I've got the report now xx

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.