My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Connect with other parents whose children are starting secondary school on this forum.

Secondary education

Devon grammar places anyone else waiting?

72 replies

Hopebridge · 19/02/2024 12:11

Anyone else waiting to hear? Not long now. I wonder how many they sent the letters out too above the allocated places. Feels like it's been such a long wait. Good luck everyone!

OP posts:
MeanLeanRunnerbean · 20/02/2024 14:37

Yes, waiting to hear for my DD. The 11+ feels so long ago now, very much looking forward to knowing where she's heading in September (and very much hoping it's her first choice!)

Hopebridge · 20/02/2024 19:11

Thanks for the link I'll have a look :)

OP posts:

MeanLeanRunnerbean · 20/02/2024 14:37

Yes, waiting to hear for my DD. The 11+ feels so long ago now, very much looking forward to knowing where she's heading in September (and very much hoping it's her first choice!)

Good luck 🤞

OP posts:
Hopebridge · 20/02/2024 19:15

Looking at that they had a lot of applications outside of the school. Thanks for sharing.

OP posts:
MeanLeanRunnerbean · 20/02/2024 19:20

Good luck 🤞

Thanks, and to you guys! Which school is your DC hoping for?

Hopebridge · 20/02/2024 19:32

Torbay 🤞

OP posts:
MeanLeanRunnerbean · 21/02/2024 12:35

DD loved Torbay and had a hard time choosing which school to put as first choice; I changed and resubmitted her application form so many times! I was nervous as they just have a yes/no system (the other school she ended up putting as her first choice have yes/no/maybe (passed the 11+ so they may get a place, if not all of the yesses choose the school, and they'll tell you how many children are above your child on the list which helps greatly) but a friend whose child is in year 7 told me that last year they gave too many yes letters and that they've changed their procedures this year to avoid the same issue. So hopefully a yes is a yes!

Hopebridge · 21/02/2024 13:15

That's reassuring. My DS got 3 Yes's but I was unsure of the percentage above the places allocated they send the letters out too. I guess we will know next Friday 😬🤞

OP posts:
StrawberryThief1930 · 27/02/2024 20:26

not long to wait. I already have a DS at the boys. waiting on a place for DD.

I also heard they scaled back the number of "yes" letters this year. My DD got 3 x yes so hoping that's a good sign.

Hopebridge · 28/02/2024 07:39

StrawberryThief1930 · 27/02/2024 20:26

not long to wait. I already have a DS at the boys. waiting on a place for DD.

I also heard they scaled back the number of "yes" letters this year. My DD got 3 x yes so hoping that's a good sign.

With the boys grammar (if my son gets in). When do they start induction to the school normally? It's been such a long time since my DS looked around I think that's causing some of his unease.

OP posts:
StrawberryThief1930 · 28/02/2024 08:11

about july i think, i cant remember exactly. They do a whole day at the school. Then in September the year 7 and year 12 go back a while day earlier than the rest of the school to settle in before everyone else arrives. At some point before July they also sent a teacher to my son's primary school to meet with him personally (i think it was his head of house).

They also did a parents' social event to meet the other parent's in your son's form which was really good, plus we picked up his school kit that night (tie, books, pencils etc). Then in October they do another parents' night to check how he has settled in.

Torquay museum does an event in the summer holidays for meeting kids at the same secondary school for new year 7s too.

Hopebridge · 28/02/2024 10:27

That sounds really good. Thank you.

OP posts:
movingtodevon1 · 28/02/2024 18:42

Ooh just found this thread! Nervously waiting here too, fingers crossed for us all.

movingtodevon1 · 29/02/2024 14:53

Did they scale back the number of yes letters for The Torbay schools too?
We got the hallowed 3 yes's somehow and we are on pins waiting to find out!

Hopebridge · 29/02/2024 19:53

Which school did you apply for?

OP posts:
movingtodevon1 · 29/02/2024 20:31

Torquay girls, Churston and spires stream.

Hopebridge · 29/02/2024 20:36

MeanLeanRunnerbean · 21/02/2024 12:35

DD loved Torbay and had a hard time choosing which school to put as first choice; I changed and resubmitted her application form so many times! I was nervous as they just have a yes/no system (the other school she ended up putting as her first choice have yes/no/maybe (passed the 11+ so they may get a place, if not all of the yesses choose the school, and they'll tell you how many children are above your child on the list which helps greatly) but a friend whose child is in year 7 told me that last year they gave too many yes letters and that they've changed their procedures this year to avoid the same issue. So hopefully a yes is a yes!

This was for Torbay I'm not sure about the others.

OP posts:
movingtodevon1 · 29/02/2024 21:21

I think that is the other school that she is talking about the one with the yes/no/maybe's
Read it a few times but I'm sure it's not about the Torbay schools. I think it means the maybes at C have a chance of getting a place as not all the yes's choose that school and they sent out less yes's this year?

Hopebridge · 29/02/2024 21:41

I'm not sure then sorry. I just know that we got 3 yes's for the same as you applied for. I'm new to this so unsure how it works. Guess not long to wait now :/

OP posts:
movingtodevon1 · 29/02/2024 22:06

I'm new to all this too, we are moving for my husband's job and the area we are from has no Grammar schools.
Lets hope its good news tomorrow although as I applied from a different authority I'm not even sure if I find out from my school portal or not!

MeanLeanRunnerbean · 01/03/2024 00:06

movingtodevon1 · 29/02/2024 21:21

I think that is the other school that she is talking about the one with the yes/no/maybe's
Read it a few times but I'm sure it's not about the Torbay schools. I think it means the maybes at C have a chance of getting a place as not all the yes's choose that school and they sent out less yes's this year?

Oh yes sorry, the yes/no/maybe school is Colyton grammar not Torbay. As an aside, I've just st realised on Dad's email from Torquay there are two other schools, I didn't realise that if they say for one there were other schools the test covered!

Don’t want to miss threads like this?

Weekly

Sign up to our weekly round up and get all the best threads sent straight to your inbox!

You've subscribed!

Hopebridge · 01/03/2024 00:12

We didn't get in 😳😭😭😭 so ye, yes, yes was a no.

OP posts:
MeanLeanRunnerbean · 01/03/2024 00:19

Oh no, so sorry!! How do you/your child feel about the school you have been offered?

Hopebridge · 01/03/2024 00:32

My child is oblivious to the fact it's not a great school. I'm in shock I think.

OP posts:
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.