Please or to access all these features

Property/DIY

Join our Property forum for renovation, DIY, and house selling advice.

Anyone just listing and want to join a support thread?

389 replies

getmemoved · 19/08/2026 06:04

We are going onto the market over the next few days, photos taken yesterday. We’re in a new build which we reserved in 2020 (completed 2021). Valuations were slightly disappointing but have gone with agents’ advice and listed at £375k.

Our motivation for moving is to apply for DD’s school next September so we are on a 12 month countdown.

Feeling a huge mix of nerves, excitement and impatience.

OP posts:
Thread gallery
6
Changedforsafety · 12/09/2026 20:17

Update 2 , nice young couple offered, so let’s see what next week brings x

thelongandwindingtoad · 13/09/2026 18:25

I have been cleaning all day and there is still so much to do. I have EA coming round tomorrow but I’m just not ready, literally or emotionally. I have been building up to this for 18 months. I feel so despondent and I haven’t even put the house in the market yet. Should I cancel the appraisals and keep trying to spruce up the house or power on and hope the EA can see some potential.

Alwayschillyatnight · 13/09/2026 18:42

Changedforsafety · 12/09/2026 20:17

Update 2 , nice young couple offered, so let’s see what next week brings x

Congrats! Will keep fingers crossed for you.

I bought a second hand double bed and picked it up today - have put to together and put the mattressnin and the spare room now looks like a spare room again. Ta dah. One easy(ish) win.

Slightly dreading doing the garage door because I cant imagine this weather ever drying out enough to let me! Might be a b&q run next weekend to at least get supplies so I can jump on it if we do get some sunny days.

Sigh.
I half dont want to move and half cant wait for it all to be over with and be able to start a fresh life without all the memories.

Petrine · 13/09/2026 19:00

thelongandwindingtoad · 13/09/2026 18:25

I have been cleaning all day and there is still so much to do. I have EA coming round tomorrow but I’m just not ready, literally or emotionally. I have been building up to this for 18 months. I feel so despondent and I haven’t even put the house in the market yet. Should I cancel the appraisals and keep trying to spruce up the house or power on and hope the EA can see some potential.

Is the estate agent just coming to give a valuation, not take photos? If so I wouldn’t worry about the house not being ready. You can sort the house out once you get the valuation and decide which EA you’ll use.

Changedforsafety · 13/09/2026 19:03

Alwayschillyatnight · 13/09/2026 18:42

Congrats! Will keep fingers crossed for you.

I bought a second hand double bed and picked it up today - have put to together and put the mattressnin and the spare room now looks like a spare room again. Ta dah. One easy(ish) win.

Slightly dreading doing the garage door because I cant imagine this weather ever drying out enough to let me! Might be a b&q run next weekend to at least get supplies so I can jump on it if we do get some sunny days.

Sigh.
I half dont want to move and half cant wait for it all to be over with and be able to start a fresh life without all the memories.

I am in awe of you I really am !

thelongandwindingtoad · 13/09/2026 19:36

It’s just the initial meeting, not photos yet. I’ll take a deep breath and try not cringe every time I spot a cobweb. Thank you

sbplanet · 13/09/2026 21:05

thelongandwindingtoad · 13/09/2026 19:36

It’s just the initial meeting, not photos yet. I’ll take a deep breath and try not cringe every time I spot a cobweb. Thank you

They won't bother about little things like that. Just make sure you point out all the good things about the property and the area it's in, don't assume they'll know or see them. :) Take note of what they say about local property prices and how yours compares. You can dust later.

Changedforsafety · 13/09/2026 21:30

@sbplanet great advice ! You know the property best and the area.

thelongandwindingtoad · 14/09/2026 13:43

Thank you. They have been and said lovely things about the house ( of course). They valued on the low side given that they said buyers would want to refurbish quite a bit. But it felt like a positive move. I’m glad I did it. I cancelled the hour long appointment, just couldn’t fit it in around work.

sbplanet · 14/09/2026 14:16

thelongandwindingtoad · 14/09/2026 13:43

Thank you. They have been and said lovely things about the house ( of course). They valued on the low side given that they said buyers would want to refurbish quite a bit. But it felt like a positive move. I’m glad I did it. I cancelled the hour long appointment, just couldn’t fit it in around work.

Edited

What sort of refurbing? You run the risk of buyers trying to really lowball you and treat the place as if it needed knocking down and starting again. Did you tell the valuers why you wanted to sell?

KeepPumping · 14/09/2026 14:42

sbplanet · 14/09/2026 14:16

What sort of refurbing? You run the risk of buyers trying to really lowball you and treat the place as if it needed knocking down and starting again. Did you tell the valuers why you wanted to sell?

Buyers can offer whatever they like, whatever their reasons.

sbplanet · 14/09/2026 14:48

This reply has been deleted

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Frostiesandmilk · 14/09/2026 14:49

KeepPumping · 14/09/2026 14:42

Buyers can offer whatever they like, whatever their reasons.

What is your purpose for coming back to this support thread exactly? Are you offering support or wanting support for your house sale ? I'm assuming neither

twixnpicnic · 14/09/2026 15:57

We’ve dropped our house from 275 to 265 and got a viewing booked same day. However a bit disappointed that we’ve had nothing from the weekend. I guess there’s a bit of back and forth from an initial enquiry to a viewing actually being booked, but how long would it take in this current market?

sbplanet · 14/09/2026 16:04

KeepPumping · 14/09/2026 14:42

Buyers can offer whatever they like, whatever their reasons.

The seller needs to know whether the buyer 'offering what they want' is a reasonable offer for their property.

thelongandwindingtoad · 14/09/2026 19:05

I know that the house needs updating, a new kitchen, maybe extended, bathrooms, EA mentioned new windows. But £300k did seem steep for refurb. My partner won’t be happy, I’m sure he was expecting more, but then he doesn’t want to sell. I told the EA we are downsizing, which is true.

Frostiesandmilk · 14/09/2026 19:32

thelongandwindingtoad · 14/09/2026 19:05

I know that the house needs updating, a new kitchen, maybe extended, bathrooms, EA mentioned new windows. But £300k did seem steep for refurb. My partner won’t be happy, I’m sure he was expecting more, but then he doesn’t want to sell. I told the EA we are downsizing, which is true.

Edited

I'd get another couple of valuations before you decide anything

tsloppge · 14/09/2026 19:38

jut found this thread! I listed on Friday and i've had 4 viewings so far and more booked in this week! The market is quite bad right now but properties in my city tend not to hang around too long, they just get disappointing prices

YouveCatToBeKittenMe · 14/09/2026 19:52

I’d like to join. Ours went on today, we’ve been here 36 years and have soooooo much stuff and so many memories. We already saw a house we liked but lost out as we weren’t proceedable then. We have some quite specific requirements as we have a lot of cars and pets! Hoping for it all to go smoothly, but I just cant imagine packing up all this crap these useful belongings.

Frostiesandmilk · 15/09/2026 10:20

Good luck to the new joiners 😊
Been on the market for 3 weeks and no interest so prodded the estate agents this morning to ask if they've spoken to any of their registered buyers about the house to see if there was any feedback to why it doesn't appeal to them and to ask if I reduce the house by around 5% next week what day is likely to be best. Last time I spoke to them they said it was quiet across the board and maybe people were waiting on the next bank of England decision on interest rates.
Shall see what they say. I can afford to wait it out but I'd rather not be sat on the market for a ridiculous amount of time if possible. So reducing at the 4 week mark and see what happens

DrySherry · 15/09/2026 10:52

Frostiesandmilk · 15/09/2026 10:20

Good luck to the new joiners 😊
Been on the market for 3 weeks and no interest so prodded the estate agents this morning to ask if they've spoken to any of their registered buyers about the house to see if there was any feedback to why it doesn't appeal to them and to ask if I reduce the house by around 5% next week what day is likely to be best. Last time I spoke to them they said it was quiet across the board and maybe people were waiting on the next bank of England decision on interest rates.
Shall see what they say. I can afford to wait it out but I'd rather not be sat on the market for a ridiculous amount of time if possible. So reducing at the 4 week mark and see what happens

If you haven't had any viewings at all in the first 3 weeks then you probably need to do a 10% reduction. For sure the hot buyers in your area have seen it by now and decided its overpriced, by quite a bit, if they dont even view.
The best question to ask your agent is "at what price point do we need to be for you to guarantee to attract multiple viewings ?" That will give you a more accurate idea of what the price should be at.

Frostiesandmilk · 15/09/2026 11:00

DrySherry · 15/09/2026 10:52

If you haven't had any viewings at all in the first 3 weeks then you probably need to do a 10% reduction. For sure the hot buyers in your area have seen it by now and decided its overpriced, by quite a bit, if they dont even view.
The best question to ask your agent is "at what price point do we need to be for you to guarantee to attract multiple viewings ?" That will give you a more accurate idea of what the price should be at.

Edited

10% reduction would be a heavier reduction than needed it would be competing then with houses with one less bedroom, no downstairs toilet and no drive or garage. I might reduce by 6-7% at the very most. It's not in poor condition or anything to warrant any heavier a drop. I'm being realistic to the fact it's a buyers market and making a firm drop to attract interest but any more of a reduction would just be wasting money

sbplanet · 15/09/2026 11:23

It's quite possible that there is also a slowdown, with buyers (plus lenders) waiting on the BoE interest rate decision on Thurs 17th (plus US Fed on 15/16 affecting that), to see what affect it might have on mortgage rates?

Frostiesandmilk · 15/09/2026 11:57

sbplanet · 15/09/2026 11:23

It's quite possible that there is also a slowdown, with buyers (plus lenders) waiting on the BoE interest rate decision on Thurs 17th (plus US Fed on 15/16 affecting that), to see what affect it might have on mortgage rates?

Yes that's what estate agents saying at the moment that buyers are hesitant at the moment. So I'm going to reduce from next week on the off chance that if the decision is to hold the interest rates that it'll maybe reduce mortgage rates slightly and encourage buyers to start looking actively again. But I want a planned reduction plan in place for next week because I don't think there will be a suddenly boom of movement after Thursday but I'll give it a chance.
I'd just rather have a plan in place for the 4 week point

Changedforsafety · 15/09/2026 13:45

I am sold just a shade over asking , there wasn’t much between the offers and went with the one that felt safer ( to me ) though actually against what the agent recommended .

Swipe left for the next trending thread