My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Join our Property forum for renovation, DIY, and house selling advice.

Property/DIY

OMAZE house

471 replies

walkinthewoodstoday · 02/01/2023 20:42

So, I'm thinking of entering this competion. Clearly as much chance of winning as me getting an Olympic gold medal, but I keep reading that these 'amazing' houses have issues. Eg one has been massively flooded and another is so close to the cliff edge that it might be uninsurable and when it falls the owners will have a massive clear up bill. The current one is in Finsbury Park and I've even been sad enough to streetview it. Can't see any obvious issues, so why is it an OMAZE house? Please enlighten me!

OP posts:
TurnipMuncher · 21/10/2023 09:00

pumpykins · 21/10/2023 08:56

Ooh this is a house i would actually like to win

Easy to maintain. Easy to sell on after a year

😊

Pretty much my thoughts.

I fell in love with the Yorkshire house, but this is a practical enough size for my family of 4, with probably reasonable running costs. Close to culture, desirable location to sell on if we get fed up of it. Even if we didn't hold out for the stated value, could easily walk away a few million better off.

Along with the other London house, it's definitely one of the most practical prizes, even though it's not as "wow" factor as some of the massive ones.

pumpykins · 21/10/2023 09:01

EachandEveryone · 20/10/2023 14:06

I might what kind of charges do you pay buying a three million pound house? I’m just dreaming aloud. I love the Chelsea House and the location but it’s too small for my needs 😂😂

I think expenses are covered for the first year

After that, id sell and buy somewhere in my area for 1 mil

Bouledeneige · 21/10/2023 21:37

I'm not loving the Chelsea house - not like some of the country homes (like Cornwall and Yorkshire) which offer an escape/beautiful setting. But then I live in London and prefer my area to up its arse Chelsea. The price seems fair considering the postcode.

a1poshpaws · 21/10/2023 22:32

Hello - I hadn't deregistered - not sure why I didn't show up!🤔

feeona123 · 22/10/2023 10:10

How much do you think you’d make in rent?

feeona123 · 22/10/2023 10:11

Just found it on the website…£12k a month!! 😲

SquirmOfEels · 22/10/2023 10:16

TurnipMuncher · 20/10/2023 00:20

Chelsea House: https://www.zoopla.co.uk/property-history/25-ovington-street/london/sw3-2ja/63988669/

It's Grade II listed which might make amendments irritating.

The en suite bathroom is unnecessarily big for such a relatively small house. Could easily have a fourth bedroom and a semi decent family bathroom.

I don't think it's meant to be a family house.

I think it's aimed at a (wealthy) individual or couple, either with no DC, or whose DC are grown up and visit rather than live at home. So the indulgent master bedroom suite (all of the first floor) might well be the whole point!

Starseeking · 22/10/2023 11:36

feeona123 · 19/10/2023 22:13

New Chelsea house isn’t that exciting 😆

I'd certainly take it off their hands for £10 🤣🤣🤣

I haven't bought a ticket to one of these for ages, but I'm going to enter this one as if I won, I'd probably move in to get around CGT issues.

Starseeking · 22/10/2023 11:50

For those asking about the Omaze business model, I just had a look at their filing history on Companies House, only to find they've extended and reduced their accounting date a few times, meaning the accounts to 31 December 2022 need to be filed by 31 December 2023. Those accounts, once available, should make for very interesting reading.

Ithouught · 22/10/2023 17:52

SquirmOfEels · 22/10/2023 10:16

I don't think it's meant to be a family house.

I think it's aimed at a (wealthy) individual or couple, either with no DC, or whose DC are grown up and visit rather than live at home. So the indulgent master bedroom suite (all of the first floor) might well be the whole point!

Looks like they’re not ones to spend just because they have a very expensive property - the mirror looks like one of mine that I bought from a well known store.

SweetSakura · 22/10/2023 17:55

Ithouught · 22/10/2023 17:52

Looks like they’re not ones to spend just because they have a very expensive property - the mirror looks like one of mine that I bought from a well known store.

I assumed Omaze did the furnishings etc?

Vincent83 · 04/11/2023 18:03

OMG I never knew this! (I actually reactivated my account just so I could read the rest of this thread!🤭)
Very interesting..although I have thought before, when will a regular person win... so far, home owners and retirees have won...
But makes sense now....

Llucylastic · 15/12/2023 14:08

Do you have any proof for this?

Sandrine1982 · 18/12/2023 21:33

how are people liking the Mallorca house? I would need to get a driver's licence :(

Nellieinthebarn · 18/12/2023 22:35

I would sell ASAP, I don't want to live overseas or rent it out as a holiday business.

TheBeef · 18/12/2023 22:40

Starseeking · 22/10/2023 11:50

For those asking about the Omaze business model, I just had a look at their filing history on Companies House, only to find they've extended and reduced their accounting date a few times, meaning the accounts to 31 December 2022 need to be filed by 31 December 2023. Those accounts, once available, should make for very interesting reading.

That will make for interesting reading.

Persipan · 19/12/2023 14:59

I don't even enter when it's a house abroad. Waaaaay too much hassle to have to figure out the intricacies of selling property overseas.

Mirabai · 19/12/2023 16:57

They give you 100 grand with the property so you can just pay someone to deal with it.

It’s certainly not stopping me! I’ve never been to Mallorca.

Llucylastic · 20/12/2023 11:16

I made an account just to say this:
I've never witnessed a more uninformed, gullible set of people in my life.
Stop believing people you don't know and have never met.
Do your own research.
Now I need to bleach my eyes and cancel my account.

tanstaafl · 20/12/2023 11:27

Do your own research.

People we don’t know?
That would include you then.

Persipan · 20/12/2023 13:11

Mirabai · 19/12/2023 16:57

They give you 100 grand with the property so you can just pay someone to deal with it.

It’s certainly not stopping me! I’ve never been to Mallorca.

Yeah, but of the various things in life I'm not going to win, the lottery just seems like way less hassle.

Probablymagrat · 20/12/2023 14:48

Do your own research.

Well enlighten us then.

PriamFarrl · 20/12/2023 17:25

Do your own research.

What people? The people on this thread? What research should they be doing?
And if you need eye bleach after this then have you seen the rest of the internet ?

RCB14 · 17/01/2024 12:20

How do you know this?

I get that they may perform background checks to ensure you're a UK resident and not a criminal for example, but where does it say that they credit check you? They would need your explicit permission to perform a credit check for starters.

ShyMaryEllen · 19/01/2024 10:36

I don't understand this either. I mean, how would they know if you are a criminal? They can check for past offences, but AFAIK gambling is not illegal if you have a criminal record, and surely taking your money is agreeing that if you win you get the prize? Maybe if they could prove that the ticket was bought with laundered money, or other proceeds of crime there could be a case for withholding the prize, but otherwise I can't see how it would stand up.

I do think that their PR department needs to get onto this though - it is a widespread belief that the results are skewed, which is not good for their reputation, and should b cleared up one way or the other.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.